Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2015 Scout that I bought used a couple of years ago. I keep it in a dry unheated garage with a battery tender plugged in all winter. In the summer it starts and runs great, but for the last two winters when I've tried to fire up, the lights and gauges come on fine, but she won't even crank. I've heard someone on here mention a cold temperature cut off or something. Can that possibly be true?! Or do I just need a new battery?
Thanks, Chris

·
Rider
521 Posts
The stock battery in the scout is kind of weak. If it's anywhere near or below 40 degrees it doesn't have the power to start the engine. The lights coming on mean nothing, you need a certain amount of voltage and amps to get the bike to crank. The lights take very little power. It's a little battery with low cold crank amps and the older it gets less it has. I'd hazard a guess that after 2 years it's time to replace it on the scout. There are some aftermarket batteries that would probably do better. There's a whole thread somewhere on here on the subject.

The low temp thing never really caused me issues because if it's below 50-55 degrees I'm taking the cage with it's heated seats and climate control :)

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I've got a 2015 Scout that I bought used a couple of years ago. I keep it in a dry unheated garage with a battery tender plugged in all winter. In the summer it starts and runs great, but for the last two winters when I've tried to fire up, the lights and gauges come on fine, but she won't even crank. I've heard someone on here mention a cold temperature cut off or something. Can that possibly be true?! Or do I just need a new battery?
Thanks, Chris
You need a new battery.
When they get old, they fail, especially in cooler temps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't find the thread mentioned about better aftermarket batteries. Can someone make a couple suggestions on a Scout battery upgrade? Not interested in $250 ones, just a good lead-acid that fits and hooks up to my terminals. Thanks much, Chris

·
Bronze member
2016 Indian Scout
1,828 Posts
I got a battery at the local auto parts-about $125.
Can't find the thread mentioned about better aftermarket batteries. Can someone make a couple suggestions on a Scout battery upgrade? Not interested in $250 ones, just a good lead-acid that fits and hooks up to my terminals. Thanks much, Chris

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got a battery at the local auto parts-about $125.
Well I finally took out the old battery; kind of a hassle, and found that the PO had installed a Bikemaster 250a. DLFP14-A lithium iron phosphate battery. Is this the type you guys say is prone to fail in cold weather? The last two winters it won't even crank, but seems to be fine in the summer. Any cold starting tips, or is it just a POS? It cost almost $200 according to their website.
Thanks, Chris

·
Silver member
5,303 Posts
If it was completely depleted you may not be able to breathe life into it, and yes, they don't like the cold very much.

Self discharge is very low on these (months, if not longer), but with a parasitic draw from a motorcycle trying keep its clock running it could slowly run down.

If you only tried it in the cold you could try storing it in-house overnight, and start your bike with a warm battery the next morning. Heck even on a simple trickle charger overnight may be better than nothing. They do require a charger that can handle LiFePo though....

Good luck!

·
Founding member
459 Posts
I have a 2016 Scout, and had the same issue with mine that you described. Indian issued a service advisory (recall) on the starters for the early Scouts a year or two ago. I had my starter changed, at no cost to me, and that permanently fixed the issue. Now it will start every time, even when it's cold. Call your dealer and ask about this.

Here's a copy of the service advisory. It's dated May of 2017, but they should still honor it if your starter has never been replaced. Make a copy of this and take it with you to the dealer. My dealer tried to charge me a $50.00 deductible, and run it through as a warranty issue, but I pointed out that the service advisory said that the starter would be exchanged at no charge, so I refused to pay. They backed down. Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a 2016 Scout, and had the same issue with mine that you described. Indian issued a service advisory (recall) on the starters for the early Scouts a year or two ago. I had my starter changed, at no cost to me, and that permanently fixed the issue. Now it will start every time, even when it's cold. Call your dealer and ask about this.

Here's a copy of the service advisory. It's dated May of 2017, but they should still honor it if your starter has never been replaced. Make a copy of this and take it with you to the dealer. My dealer tried to charge me a $50.00 deductible, and run it through as a warranty issue, but I pointed out that the service advisory said that the starter would be exchanged at no charge, so I refused to pay. They backed down. Good luck.

View attachment 624620

View attachment 624620
Well, I'll have to check if my Battery Tender is compatible with this LiFePo Battery, but it's always on the tender all winter, and stills reads 12.8 volts. In warm weather she fires right up. Doesn't seem like a starter issue, but if I can get an improved starter I will! Thanks.

·
Founding member
459 Posts
Well, I'll have to check if my Battery Tender is compatible with this LiFePo Battery, but it's always on the tender all winter, and stills reads 12.8 volts. In warm weather she fires right up. Doesn't seem like a starter issue, but if I can get an improved starter I will! Thanks.
My bike would start well in warm weather too. When it gets cold, the oil thickens, and requires more torque from the starter in order to start the engine. The early starters lacked the torque to turn the engine over fast enough to start in cold weather. After the starter replacement, my bike had no more issues starting in cold weather.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My own knowledge is:
1. LiFePo4 batteries are bad at 50F and below, need some warming procedures, which is usually waist of time at morning cold. AGM 210CCA and more is reasonable option.
2. Scout discharges battery itself during its rest, I bought and installed a main ground wire switch.
3. Highly recommend to modify Starting Fuel Chart - to cut 6F..32F cells starting fuel multiply numbers for 1 and 2 revs (which are dead revs, without any spark) down to about 3. It allows to keep spark plugs dry when they come to work

·
Registered
212 Posts
I’d get rid of the lithium battery. Don’t know who around you would carry it, but Duracell makes a nice battery for the scout that is U.S. made, either that or get a stock battery from the dealer. The stock battery was upgraded in 2019 to one with a few more cranking amps.
As mentioned though if that doesn’t work it may be the starter (unlikely), but as I recall people with starter issues had more problems than just cold starting.
Also, I believe they will only replace the starter for free if it shows symptoms of being bad, they won’t just replace based on year.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’d get rid of the lithium battery. Don’t know who around you would carry it, but Duracell makes a nice battery for the scout that is U.S. made, either that or get a stock battery from the dealer. The stock battery was upgraded in 2019 to one with a few more cranking amps.
As mentioned though if that doesn’t work it may be the starter (unlikely), but as I recall people with starter issues had more problems than just cold starting.
Also, I believe they will only replace the starter for free if it shows symptoms of being bad, they won’t just replace based on year.
Yeah, just got a Duracell 220a. AGM battery. Should be good now! Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had to replace starter on my 2017 because of poor cranking/starting. Dealership did free of charge because of soft recall and known issue. I replaced battery while I was at it. Seems fine now.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Back in January my 2018 scout out of the blue one day went ‘click’ and then wouldn’t start (I’d been riding it and it was on a tender). Figured it was the battery, pulled it and had it tested. Dead as a doorknob. Bought a replacement Duracell. Got around to installing the new one today. All connected, switch one, fuel pump runs, press starter and ‘click.’ Brought battery back to store, they said it’s good. Went to the Honda motorcycle dealer, they said it’s good. Called Indian, they offered to reimburse me for having it flat bedded to the nearest dealership (136 miles away). Called a local independent shop and asked if they could look at it, they said sure and think it’s probably the starter solenoid. She’s being flat bedded there now and I am one nervous scout owner (more about the tow then about something wrong with the bike). The ‘click’ seems to be coming from the solenoid, and it’s an 18 so shouldn’t be the starter. Ran into the old parts guy from the defunct Memphis dealership at the Honda dealership, he’s completely perplexed that it’s not the battery. Guess I’ll know in a few days. Whole thing has me considering trading for a metric because of lack of local dealer support, but if this independent guy is good I’m leaning towards keeping her. She’s outta warranty anyways

·
Registered
68 Posts
Back in January my 2018 scout out of the blue one day went ‘click’ and then wouldn’t start (I’d been riding it and it was on a tender). Figured it was the battery, pulled it and had it tested. Dead as a doorknob. Bought a replacement Duracell. Got around to installing the new one today. All connected, switch one, fuel pump runs, press starter and ‘click.’ Brought battery back to store, they said it’s good. Went to the Honda motorcycle dealer, they said it’s good. Called Indian, they offered to reimburse me for having it flat bedded to the nearest dealership (136 miles away). Called a local independent shop and asked if they could look at it, they said sure and think it’s probably the starter solenoid. She’s being flat bedded there now and I am one nervous scout owner (more about the tow then about something wrong with the bike). The ‘click’ seems to be coming from the solenoid, and it’s an 18 so shouldn’t be the starter. Ran into the old parts guy from the defunct Memphis dealership at the Honda dealership, he’s completely perplexed that it’s not the battery. Guess I’ll know in a few days. Whole thing has me considering trading for a metric because of lack of local dealer support, but if this independent guy is good I’m leaning towards keeping her. She’s outta warranty anyways
I would take of the seat, and try to short starter relay copper pins with a wrench first, it is simple test after all. Starter should be turning. It would tell you starter is O'k.
Then obviously try to replace the relay, it costs cheap and usually they are all similar.

Reactions: Buddyweiser
1 - 20 of 20 Posts