Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Scout with a Mustang Seat

5K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  15 Scout 
#1 ·
So I got a bit of an odd request, is there anyone in the Alberta, Canada area with a mustang solo seat that would be open to letting me take the seat for a test ride on my bike, i'm trying to decide between a mustang solo and an airhawk 2 seat cover.

This seat problem vexes me, I have never had this much comfort problem with a seat before, ever.

#2 ·
just get the Mustang!

on my Shadow I tried an Airhawk and it did improve comfort a bit, then I fitted a Mustang (daytripper in this case) and you're on a different, far better ride. With a Mustang you're looking at all day riding without even thinking about the seat. Something like 20mins OK with original seat, 40mins OK with Airhawk, all day with Mustang!

#5 ·
Not in Alta so can't help with a test ride. But I can offer my story...

I did a 4 day, 1500 km tour on the Scout last summer with my Airhawk on the stock seat. It didn't really help. Discomfort would set in before I burned a half of a tank of gas.

I found the stock seat so uncomfortable, I seriously considered trading the Scout for a bike I could travel on. It seemed the cost would be roughly the same as upgrading the Scout and I would end up with a more suitable touring bike. However, in general, I really like the Scout and trading a brand new bike just seemed wrong. I had just hoped to ride the Scout in stock form for a couple years before investing in upgrades.

Like you, I was leery to spend the money without being able to try the seat. But, I had good luck with Mustang seats in the past, so after a lot of consideration, I ordered the touring seat w/drivers backrest. It completely transformed the bike for me. Now, 400-500km days are no problem. Instead of wanting to get off at 100kms, I almost resent having to stop at 200kms for gas.

We will be doing another tour in a couple weeks. I will take the Airhawk as well. I haven't tried it on the Mustang but it may help after long consecutive days.

The Scout still isn't a serious mile eater, but with the new seat, I look forward to jumping on and spending a few hours in the saddle whenever I have the chance. The Mustang seat was the right choice for me.

#7 ·
So I went for an hour + ride with the Airhawk2, it was comfy for about 45 minutes (about 30 more minutes than the stock seat) then it bunche up in places and force me forward, so I was almost sitting on the tank bottom. The worst thing of all, my crotch got extremely warm and uncomfortable, then some how it gave me a frontal wedgie.

I'll be ordering the mustang in the next couple of days. As for the inch increase in height that is fine. I just can't do forward, I should be 5'7"- 5'-8" but a well spent youth and 3 crushed vertebrae solved that issue for me.

Would you guys recommend keeping the factory back rest and buying mustangs pad or should I got with mustangs complete set up?

#9 ·
So I went for an hour + ride with the Airhawk2, it was comfy for about 45 minutes (about 30 more minutes than the stock seat) then it bunche up in places and force me forward, so I was almost sitting on the tank bottom. The worst thing of all, my crotch got extremely warm and uncomfortable, then some how it gave me a frontal wedgie.

I'll be ordering the mustang in the next couple of days. As for the inch increase in height that is fine. I just can't do forward, I should be 5'7"- 5'-8" but a well spent youth and 3 crushed vertebrae solved that issue for me.

Would you guys recommend keeping the factory back rest and buying mustangs pad or should I got with mustangs complete set up?
Frontal wedgie.... this where I too would have quit!...right then and there.. o_O:D

#12 ·
Mustang! I've had one on every bike except my first and I'll be adding it to the Scout soon.I am a firm believer.

#19 ·
If you can ride a full 2 hours non stop without needing gas are moving a lot slower than me .. Unless talking city traffic or very curvy roads, then 2 hours is long enough for me even if the seat is Plush Velvet fit for a Kings Throne ..

#20 ·
I got the leather/vinyl Mustang seat recently to replace the reduced reach seat that I thought was ok except for my lower back pain. I think that by adjusting the back rest to far forward on the Mustang that it pushes me closer to the tank. Once I found the sweet spot for the backrest it's great! I don't think the seat raised me up any higher than the stock or reduced reach seat. I also like that the back rest folds down all the way forward so I don't have to swing my leg over it. I don't know why I waited so long to get it!
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motorcycle accessories Motor vehicle

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.