Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am putting a set up 14 inch titus bars be Dean Speed Customs on my Scout, getting the clutch and brake cable is not an issue, however, does anybody know if the other wires (throttle, turn signals, etc) will reach of will they need to be extended? If they would is there any company out there who makes extended wires or could they just be spliced? I know that splicing the throttle wire on a Harley can result in a bad throttle response but does anyone know if that is the same case with the scout?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I only splice the level sensor wires to add 4" extension for the internal routing out from the control housings. My bars were only 9" rise (12 to top bend) and the other control wires were long enough. With external wiring it will be close. i looked for extensions and was not able to find direct plug n play kits.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I went with 14's on mine. I extended the wires and ran them inside the bars. It was a job and if you have no electrical experience I wouldn't recommend it. To the best of my knowledge. There were 10 wires on one side and 12 on the other. I soldered and shrink wrapped mine. That's not the issue. Getting them through the bars is. If you go outside the bars it's not too bad. I have had no issues to include the throttle.

·
Silver member
5,411 Posts
I went with 14's on mine. I extended the wires and ran them inside the bars. It was a job and if you have no electrical experience I wouldn't recommend it. To the best of my knowledge. There were 10 wires on one side and 12 on the other. I soldered and shrink wrapped mine. That's not the issue. Getting them through the bars is. If you go outside the bars it's not too bad. I have had no issues to include the throttle.
I did the same when I put 14s on my Road King. It is tedious, but doable. I've been thinking about taller bars for my Vintage but don't know if I want the hassle again LOL

·
Registered
41 Posts

Did you go with 16 or 18 gauge wire? And when you extended your brake cable were you able to just replace the upper cable that connects to the ABS lines, or did you have to replace the entire front brake line? I talked to Barnett yesterday and they said they sell extended lengths of just the upper cable line, and that even though it looks crimped or permanently connected in the diagram, that it is removable.

Thanks!
-Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
16 or 18 gauge will work. There is no amp draw on any of the electrical in this area and the extension will not cause a voltage drop. As far as the cables, my bike is not an ABS. I did replace the front brake line and clutch cable. The original was too short.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did you go with 16 or 18 gauge wire? And when you extended your brake cable were you able to just replace the upper cable that connects to the ABS lines, or did you have to replace the entire front brake line? I talked to Barnett yesterday and they said they sell extended lengths of just the upper cable line, and that even though it looks crimped or permanently connected in the diagram, that it is removable.

Thanks!
-Tom
Hi Tom! I do not recommend extending the upper cable only. Because there might be leaking issue. I did mine by replacing the whole line from the master cylinder to the abs module under the rear wheel. That was a long job by replacing it. I even went to custom made an adaptor for replacing the cable with different length. This is the adaptor I custom made. Hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Tom! I do not recommend extending the upper cable only. Because there might be leaking issue. I did mine by replacing the whole line from the master cylinder to the abs module under the rear wheel. That was a long job by replacing it. I even went to custom made an adaptor for replacing the cable with different length. This is the adaptor I custom made. Hope this helps!
Thanks for jumping in! My original plan was to replace the entire line (flex and solid) all the way to the ABS module, but Barnett said that it wasn't necessary and that the flex cable on it's own could be swapped out. This didn't seem right, based solely off of the parts diagram and what I could see without removing the tank. They had a part number for it and everything I figured I would at least get it in my hand and look at it. But since you actually did yours, how is the flex line off the master connected to the hard line into the ABS module. I told them that it doesn't look removable... but they said it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for jumping in! My original plan was to replace the entire line (flex and solid) all the way to the ABS module, but Barnett said that it wasn't necessary and that the flex cable on it's own could be swapped out. This didn't seem right, based solely off of the parts diagram and what I could see without removing the tank. They had a part number for it and everything I figured I would at least get it in my hand and look at it. But since you actually did yours, how is the flex line off the master connected to the hard line into the ABS module. I told them that it doesn't look removable... but they said it is.
I prefer getting a flex line instead of a hard line, there are enough space under the tank for the flex line without issue of affecting the line’s pressure. The connect part between the flex and solid of the stock lines are removable i guess but it is too risky to do so, cause the stock lines are factory made and it is fixed. I will shoot you a photo of the stock one i removed later

·
Registered
41 Posts
I prefer getting a flex line instead of a hard line, there are enough space under the tank for the flex line without issue of affecting the line’s pressure. The connect part between the flex and solid of the stock lines are removable i guess but it is too risky to do so, cause the stock lines are factory made and it is fixed. I will shoot you a photo of the stock one i removed later
Oh, you replaced the fixed line with one long flex cable! I completely misunderstood. That's not bad. I've never dealt with ABS before, how much more of a pain in the ass is bleeding an ABS line vs standard lines?
Thanks for the info, by the way

·
Registered
30 Posts
Oh, you replaced the fixed line with one long flex cable! I completely misunderstood. That's not bad. I've never dealt with ABS before, how much more of a pain in the ass is bleeding an ABS line vs standard lines?
Thanks for the info, by the way
Yes i replaced the whole cable. I can’t answer you about the bleeding, the whole process was done by professionals. But i have heard that bleeding the abs module is not quite hard, if you can borrow a TEXA the job will be easy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts