Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using the 22" Freedomshields windshield on my 2016 Scout, and the reverse flair at the top creates awful buffeting that the OEM shield does not. I contacted Freedomshields, and they said that I'm not the first one with this complaint. They are sending me a new windshield to try out, it has a curve at the bottom that supposedly stops the buffeting. I will update you all when I get it and try it out.

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
I've been using the 22" Freedomshields windshield on my 2016 Scout, and the reverse flair at the top creates awful buffeting that the OEM shield does not. I contacted Freedomshields, and they said that I'm not the first one with this complaint. They are sending me a new windshield to try out, it has a curve at the bottom that supposedly stops the buffeting. I will update you all when I get it and try it out.
If you are real tall you may have needed the 24" shield. Look forward to what you find with the new shield because I'm a little baffled how a curve at the bottom is going to affect buffeting at the top???,.......
Alpal

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I have the same problem with mine, which is why I don't use it. I find it does eliminate any tendency to high speed rocking, but the helmet buffeting is a nuisance. They offered me a higher screen, but I can only just see over this one, so I declined.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
That's good to know. I've gone through 2 different sizes due to visibility (my fault - chose wrong heights) and have yet to try out the 3rd size (20").

·
Registered
955 Posts
isn't this the windshield everyone thought was the best bet for the Scout about a year ago?

I'm thinking of one that used original Scout brackets, it didn't come with its own brackets. Could be completely wrong though!

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
That's right You only get the screen. But that means you have to buy the OEM screen to get brackets which makes it a costly affair. Then Marcus, was it ? At Indain Aftermarket made brackets available. All this is from memory so a little research may be required to validate.
Alpal

·
Registered
955 Posts
so last year's favourite windshield seems to be out of favour now. The scoop up lip was previously regarded as part of its success. I think it shows how personal windshields are.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
so last year's favourite windshield seems to be out of favour now. The scoop up lip was previously regarded as part of its success. I think it shows how personal windshields are.
You are correct. It highlights the danger of taking other people's praises and criticisms of the Scout and potential mods at face value. The screen seems to be exactly right for some people, but certainly not all of us.

Helmet choice might have something to do with it. The screen I had on my first Guzzi California was reported as wind-tunnel tested and fine for people wearing open face helmets. Frustratingly, it produced horrible buffeting for those of us using full-face helmets, although mine was great when once I fitted an MRA X-creen deflector.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I had a 24 inch oem windshield and still faced wind deflection as my Corbin seat made me sit 2 inches high.

I used the below clip on deflector and I was able to solve the issue. Something to think about.

Puig Clip-On Windscreen Visor
That looks very much like the larger MRA X-creen that I used to good effect when I had a Guzzi Cali. I don't have the larger MRA X-creen to try any more, but I have found that the smaller version helps. Your comments make me wonder if the larger X-creen would work better, or the Puig you suggest.

Do you look through the Puig or over it? What is the wind noise like, and the buffeting, and the side-to-side rocking at speed?

·
Registered
105 Posts
That looks very much like the larger MRA X-creen that I used to good effect when I had a Guzzi Cali. I didn't have the larger MRA X-creen available, but I did try the smaller version, which I find makes the stock screen bearable, but it simply didn't work for me on the Freedom Screen. Your comments make me wonder if the larger X-creen would work, or the Puig you suggest.

Do you look through the Puig or over it? What is the wind noise like, and the buffeting, and the side-to-side rocking at speed?
I could confidently say that I have zero buffering post this. No wind noise. I am 6 feet 2 inches tall. You have to see through it as I have a 24 inch tall windshield and a 2 inch wind deflector on top of it. Overall very happy with the purchase and it solved my problem.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I could confidently say that I have zero buffering post this. No wind noise. I am 6 feet 2 inches tall. You have to see through it as I have a 24 inch tall windshield and a 2 inch wind deflector on top of it. Overall very happy with the purchase and it solved my problem.
That's great. I don't think it would work for me, because with the amount of fog, condensation, and low sun we have in UK, I have to be able to look over the screen; so a deflector only works if it lifts the airflow over the helmet, rather than being a barrier behind which I sit. Nevertheless, the Puig looks to be an ideal solution for those in warmer climes!

·
Registered
105 Posts
That's great. I don't think it would work for me, because with the amount of fog, condensation, and low sun we have in UK, I have to be able to look over the screen; so a deflector only works if it lifts the airflow over the helmet, rather than being a barrier behind which I sit. Nevertheless, the Puig looks to be an ideal solution for those in warmer climes!
Yes . I live in California and fog is not an issue. Just keep in miMD that there are solutions to keep the fog out of windshield too:)

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Yes . I live in California and fog is not an issue. Just keep in miMD that there are solutions to keep the fog out of windshield too:)
I used to live in the San Joaquin Valley tule fog was a terrible issue, maybe things have changed

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

·
Registered
131 Posts
I used to live in the San Joaquin Valley tule fog was a terrible issue, maybe things have changed

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well
Fog is still an issue, but because of lack of rain, not bad in recent years.
The sun is sort of out early today (8am), but cold and hazy.
With over double the normal rainfall (17+" here), and major sierra mtn snows this past week (over 150%.of normal) most of the drought is over here in the Republic of California.
More weather due tomorrow thru the middle of next week...
Word is we're ceding from the union Friday about 9:30am local time...

Reactions: Roadie

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE: They sent me a prototype 22" windshield to try out. It was the same as original, except that it had 2 or 3 extra inches at the bottom. It only slightly reduced the buffeting. They are making a another prototype with a different design at the top for me to try. I'm more optimistic with them modifying the top, which is where I think the buffeting is being created. Will let you know.

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
UPDATE: They sent me a prototype 22" windshield to try out. It was the same as original, except that it had 2 or 3 extra inches at the bottom. It only slightly reduced the buffeting ---8<---
Fantastic that they offer such help to go as far as prototyping to make a customer happy! Excuse me for any disbelief... maybe that will change when I hear more about this. :D

I'm really interested because I've tried reverting my mid-size 21" OEM windshield to its original configuration. Or so I'm guessing, since I don't know what was done to it. Was like someone had formed a homemade plexiglass or acrylic sheet and mounted it at the top to act as an extension instead of going to a taller single piece. I posted a picture as part of my "observations" message last night.

Point is, that extension made my helmet shake violently. I had to either raise or lower my head to stop the effect. No curved lip atop it, just flat vertically and curved with the base shield. With it removed all is normal, like a typical windshield should be. Only that it might be a couple inches short for my 6' height. I'm thinking a 22" windbreaker like the Freedom one might be just right.

I'm curious about the lengthened lower portion being stable enough. My old Yamaha windshield had an oversized (in this case) Slipstreamer S-00 Enterprise I thought looked great for my idea of a new windshield (had little one before), said not to fit but I forced it to.
Like a fairing and tall because I was really wanting to avoid wind, rain and Spring/Summer/Fall bugs. Was not so good an idea. Little rain visibility and awful for nighttime, practically no way to see if both. But surprisingly it did okay enough at any speed and every part of me was out of the wind except from the knee down.

I think I've learned my lesson to accept some air flow so I can actually see and ride stable at the same time.

Anxious to learn more of this new type from Freedom.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I received the new prototype 22" Freedomshields Scout windshield on Friday. This one still has the lowered bottom, but the flair at the top was removed so its shape at the top is like the OEM shield. I tested it for three days and many miles. For a cruiser windshield of this design, IT WORKS QUITE WELL NOW. I presume that they will be selling this design soon. There is still a vacuum behind the shield instead of dead space, so I recommended that they consider some way to allow air to flow in from the bottom of the shield, both in front and behind the shield, for concurrent airflow, like other bikes. Since there is no fairing, they are pretty limited in what they can do. That is, they can't put a slit in it (like Harleys via the fairing), or bugs, etc. will come flying straight in. I suggested that they consider an outward flair at the bottom. I have no idea if they'll take me up on that suggestion.

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
Whoever mounted the OEM mid-size windshield for my Scout used almost 1/2 inch of leather as shims on the fork tube brackets to make it lean back more than it otherwise would have been.
I haven't checked for any vacuous air space yet but I figured the steeper deflection angle must help somewhat, and like other pictures I've seen of these, there's also a considerable gap above the headlight where air can get through.

Since I removed the upper section, leaving a couple 1/2 inch holes in the top middle I don't know how much that's causing any increase or decrease in buffeting, if at all.

I wonder if a dimpled, or flared, headlight opening would be any good. Or maybe not do enough to make a difference.

If I could form my own windshield I think I would try shallow valleys going upward from below the headlight opening directed toward the handlebar ends in the hopes that might cause a mild turbulence to stir the air behind the windshield. In other words, not simply a flaring out along bottom edge but something more inclusive to the windshield area. Of course, with my luck it would flex and snap off eventually.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Whoever mounted the OEM mid-size windshield for my Scout used almost 1/2 inch of leather as shims on the fork tube brackets to make it lean back more than it otherwise would have been.
my Memphis shades windshield has some rake adjustment, and the only rake that works for me is max rake, ie. most lean back.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts