Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Vendor / bronze
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love to ride my Scout. It seems to have plenty of power at any speed. I modified my stock exhaust (for better sound) and I plan to replace the shocks , once someone else figures out a reasonable replacement. I am not looking for more power. But I am curious how the Scout compares to other bikes. I guess 0-60 mph is a reasonable standard to use. I assume the Harley V-rod would beat the Scout. Would the Scout beat all other stock Harleys? Does the Scout beat the other Indians? I am sure there are lots of Cafe racer type bikes that are faster. The Scout is in a weird category. It is a sport bike with a mini-cruiser touch. Tell me of your experience with other bikes that are slower or faster. Particularly stock bikes.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The Scout is DEFINITELY faster and nimbler than my Chief Classic.. and the Chief Classic is probably faster than most H-Ds. I saw a video comparison between the Scout and a bunch of others, and I think it was the 2nd fastest behind the V-ROD. The 'Rod is an all-out drag bike, and handles like shit around corners. It's also the only Harley that other Harley owners despise. I don't get it. I love the 'Rod aside from it's "Straight line only" requirements .. It's a cool looking bike, and it's fassssst!! The Scout, according to that video, is just a little slower.

·
Registered
143 Posts
So far mine has shown to handle better and keep up with my bros Vic Hammer with stage 1 kit, 2005 I believe. Mine's stock right now, but he and the Vic are bigger than me and the Scout, but I'm pretty sure power to weight ratio is close. My dad's V92SC on the other hand, there's no way I can keep up, he routinely leaves me in the dust. But he's had a LOT of work done to it.

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
So far mine has shown to handle better and keep up with my bros Vic Hammer with stage 1 kit, 2005 I believe. Mine's stock right now, but he and the Vic are bigger than me and the Scout, but I'm pretty sure power to weight ratio is close. My dad's V92SC on the other hand, there's no way I can keep up, he routinely leaves me in the dust. But he's had a LOT of work done to it.
Get outa here! The V92C ! And here I was thinking they were one step off earning tractor status! Oh well, the day you don't learn something is a day wasted so today has started well.
Alpal

·
Registered
882 Posts
He would have had to have spent more in "work" than you spent on your Scout to even be close in comparison for the performance of a Scout. I'm really not buying it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
He would have had to have spent more in "work" than you spent on your Scout to even be close in comparison for the performance of a Scout. I'm really not buying it.
I don't know how much he spent, I never asked. But there was a lot of work done; big bore kit, pistons, cams, jugs, breather, efi. A lot of work, it's nowhere close to stock.

Sorry @Marcus, not meaning to hijack your thread.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I don't know how much he spent, I never asked. But there was a lot of work done; big bore kit, pistons, cams, jugs, breather, efi. A lot of work, it's nowhere close to stock.

Sorry @Marcus, not meaning to hijack your thread.
I suppose it's possible, people spend stupid money sometimes hotrodding the most unlikely vehicles :)

·
Vendor / bronze
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been trying to find any specs or videos that honestly compare the Scout to the Vrod. No luck. Let me know if you find anything. I did find a claim that the Vrod can do 0-60 in 3.59 seconds. I am beginning to think the Scout might hold it's own against the Vrod if your willing to reach into the 8000 RPM's.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I've owned 2 V-Rods, an 1130 and a 1250. The Scout vs. V-Rod race would come down the the rider, I believe they are that close. The 1250 will pull off the line harder and yes, you will need to run both well into the redline to see either bikes full potential.

However, there are a lot of serious go fast parts available for the V-Rod so be very careful any battles you pick. I know of quite a few near stock looking V-Rods that run very low 10's in the 1/4 mile. I ran an 11.9 on a piped and tuned 1130 carrying my fat ass down the strip and I'm far from a competent drag racer.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I suspect within the next year aftermarket Scout performance parts will be every where. I think people are still discovering the potential for the Scout. BTW I love the Vrod. I almost bought one, but then I saw the scout. The last bike I owned was 20 years ago and it was a Yamaha 700. I didn't realize how serious the Scout was until I started reading comparisons. I started out riding the Scout very carefully, because I thought I was old and lacked experience. I now have discovered it is a fast bike. I am still learning how to use the Scout. I like it more each ride. The bike world is a lot of fun. Especially going from stop to 60 mph in a matter of seconds.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Not my Sportster, they are pretty close to even. Not sure which would win in a drag race.
Then your sportster is far from stock and I believe the discussion here should be "stock vs. stock" as modified vs. stock is a fruitless discussion.

The 2-3 additional shifts the sportster has to make in the 1/4 mile alone will relegate it to second.

image.jpg

·
Founding Member
1,824 Posts
Then your sportster is far from stock and I believe the discussion here should be "stock vs. stock" as modified vs. stock is a fruitless discussion.

The 2-3 additional shifts the sportster has to make in the 1/4 mile alone will relegate it to second.

View attachment 20064
Actually, it's pretty close to stock, just a pipe and a K&N in the stock airbox, which should be totally fair in this theoretical drag race. My XR1200X produces 85 hp and 78 ft/#. You may be right about the extra shifts, but it would be close. The extra torque may give it an edge off the line.

·
Rider
979 Posts
Oohhh an XR1200....that is the bike I was going to purchase before I saw the Scout in American Iron....nice bike. Not really "just" a Sportster though right? I'd love to own one someday. Ride Safe!

Reactions: Gort

·
Registered
882 Posts
Actually, it's pretty close to stock, just a pipe and a K&N in the stock airbox, which should be totally fair in this theoretical drag race. My XR1200X produces 85 hp and 78 ft/#. You may be right about the extra shifts, but it would be close. The extra torque may give it an edge off the line.
As the previous poster noted, the XR is a unique animal and a damn fine ride. I could see that and the Scout being a pretty evenly matched race coming down to rider more than hardware.

·
Registered
760 Posts
...I now have discovered it is a fast bike. I am still learning how to use the Scout. I like it more each ride. The bike world is a lot of fun. Especially going from stop to 60 mph in a matter of seconds.
A lot of Chief and Victory riders are in for a rude awakening when they try to out run a Scout. Most have no clue.

·
Founding Member
1,824 Posts
As the previous poster noted, the XR is a unique animal and a damn fine ride. I could see that and the Scout being a pretty evenly matched race coming down to rider more than hardware.
I'll tell you this much for nothing, the XR does not get the miles that the Scout gets now. The Scout IS a better ride. However, the hardware...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 55 Posts