Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all. I’m trying to decide between a Yamaha warrior and a scout. I rode a warrior and was impressed by the torque and power. Stop light to stop seemed QUICK. It did have pipes and possible engine work .
Went and drove a new scout stock. It felt nowhere near as powerful.of course it was stock so my question is. With pipes and a tuner is the scout going to be as quick as a tuned warrior 0-60 or stop light to stop light?

·
Registered
59 Posts
A yamaha warrior? I thought that was way bigger, like closer to a chief in engine displacement bigger. The stryker is a 1300 and closer to a scout, but looks much larger.

·
Rider
1,000 Posts
What's a warrior?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Rider
1,292 Posts
Yes, I used to ride a Road Star (Silverado) and the Warrior was based on that platform. It's a 1700, much more comparable to the Chief than to a Scout.

BD

Reactions: MilwDave

·
Registered
64 Posts
Indian Scouts are amazing bikes. However, it comes down to what you want. Only reason I went with a Chief Classic over the Scout is because I felt the scout was too small.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Scouts need serious rpms to perform. 6-8k is the sweet spot.

Hello all. I’m trying to decide between a warrior and a scout. I rode a warrior and was impressed by the torque and power. Stop light to stop seemed QUICK. It did have pipes and possible engine work .
Went and drove a new scout stock. It felt nowhere near as powerful.of course it was stock so my question is. With pipes and a tuner is the scout going to be as quick as a tuned warrior 0-60 or stop light to stop light?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I have to admit the scout is very sedate at low rpms. After the 500 mile break in service it was actually a little unnerving to rev that engine so high. It’s a different experience.

I think I didn’t rev the scout high enough

·
Rider
432 Posts
If you want a Yamaha cruiser, get the V-Max.
If not, get the Scout 69 cu/in.
Either way you will be happy. The V-Max insurance will be higher- it’s a beast of a bike.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I had a Warrior. Quick bike for a cruiser. But it's more of a V-Rod type competitor than a Scout competitor IMO. Muscle cruiser.

·
Rider
1,054 Posts
The Scout has a very very flat torque curve. That makes it a very easy bike to ride....never rode a Warrior, but I've been a Yamaha fan since the 70's.

·
Rider
1,145 Posts
Scouts need serious rpms to perform. 6-8k is the sweet spot.
I'm way past being a hot dog, so the Scout's muscle being situated in the higher rpms is not a big deal - I do have all the power I really need. But sometimes I do miss that 3,200 rpm torque I had in my Suzuki.

Reactions: Cameroni79

·
Bronze member
2,032 Posts
We owned a Warrior for about four years. I had high compression pistons added and few other engine mods. I walked V-Rods easily. Over time I added a 260 rear tire and triple trees to stretch it out for that long low look. Once we got serious about touring it had to go.
If you are more interested about power I’d go with the Warrior. That 108 and the Stratoliner 113 is still the best air-cooled V-Twin ever sold IMHO.
The problem you’ll find is very little aftermarket support. Yamaha has left the building when it comes to street cruisers and no one really stepped up in the aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Agreed. I love my scout even when I’m just cruising on it. Low end torque is a whole lotta fun without getting yourself in to trouble. A few years ago I had a zx14r that would get anyone in to trouble. It only came with a devil on the shoulder. The angel never made an appearance.

I'm way past being a hot dog, so the Scout's muscle being situated in the higher rpms is not a big deal - I do have all the power I really need. But sometimes I do miss that 3,200 rpm torque I had in my Suzuki.

·
Bronze Member
1,691 Posts
There's a guy at work who has a nice road star warrior. He scours the internet every day looking for custom parts for it. Those parts are few and far between since that model hasn't been made for somewhere around ten years.

If the warrior is set up with all of the accessories that you would ever want it, it would be a great bike. If there are accessories that you would like to add later, they may be hard to come by unless you can build your own.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have done a fair amount of mods with my son on his fairly new Yamaha Bolt and while the bike has been a mechanical angel I have to say their finishes just do not compare (ie: paint vs powdercoat) in a lot of wear areas and he spent 3 weeks breaking down assemblies to be refinished and there is only 9K on the bike.

·
Bronze member
2,032 Posts
There's a guy at work who has a nice road star warrior. He scours the internet every day looking for custom parts for it. Those parts are few and far between since that model hasn't been made for somewhere around ten years.

If the warrior is set up with all of the accessories that you would ever want it, it would be a great bike. If there are accessories that you would like to add later, they may be hard to come by unless you can build your own.
I had ours set up right. I did a 10.81 1/4 mile even with the extra weight of that 260 rear tire.

·
Rider
1,278 Posts
If it's a Road Star Warrior, i'd take a long, hard look at it - beast bikes - real fast and real torquey - can do rolling burnouts if you want to

The regular Warrior is just meh

the Scout though - go back and REALLY RIDE IT - remember, the 69 revs up to 8200rpms - but hold on tight because you'll definitely feel it when it hits its stride @ 5500rpms

Reactions: msklein

·
Rider
2019 Scout and Chieftain Classic both in Willow Green and Cream
690 Posts
I think I didn’t rev the scout high enough
First off scout did you ride? There are two engine sizes a 60ci (5 speed) and the 69ci (6 speed). I own a scout and run around 4-5k rpm most of time 6k is where you hit max torque, have by accident hit the the "ton" because some jackass was ridding my ass and it was still pulling hard and got there fast. But at 70-75 mph i have no problem. I'll double check my rpm at 70mph. I also own a Yamaha 2007 V-star 1100 custom, it has trouble getting over 80mph compared to my scout. It's 64hp as compared to the 100hp of the scout. But still not like my chieftain classic when it comes to power.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts