Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ordered cars before and usually get a vin within a week or two of placing the order, but I have never ordered a motorcycle before and was wondering at what point does a vin get generated? This is just a curiosity really as I know there probably isn't much you can do with it, but it would probably help me feel that I am that much closer to getting it :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
"at what point does a vin get generated?"

Indian probably already has the list of VINs generated, but they dont get assigned to a bike until the assembly process actually begins. Your bike likely is still a pile of parts in a warehouse.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dude I hate you, I read the title and thought they were finally starting to give out vins... Way to get my hopes up just to crush them haha
sorry about that :D

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"at what point does a vin get generated?"

Indian probably already has the list of VINs generated, but they dont get assigned to a bike until the assembly process actually begins. Your bike likely is still a pile of parts in a warehouse.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
My dealer told me I would be notified of a VIN when it gets assigned for my build. I too thought it was time and things are starting to roll.

Just wait until the VINs start rolling in, then the deliveries, the the "First Ride" pictures, then the "Look what I changed", then the "Hold my beer and watch this" pictures. Crap. It's going to be like watching the kids grow up all over again.

Polaris, if you are reading this I have milk and good cookies out for the delivery guy. Let's make this happen.

Reactions: harry

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My dealer told me I would be notified of a VIN when it gets assigned for my build. I too thought it was time and things are starting to roll.

Just wait until the VINs start rolling in, then the deliveries, the the "First Ride" pictures, then the "Look what I changed", then the "Hold my beer and watch this" pictures. Crap. It's going to be like watching the kids grow up all over again.

Polaris, if you are reading this I have milk and good cookies out for the delivery guy. Let's make this happen.
Oh yes indeed :D

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
I hope I am not speaking above my rank, but here is how it works. We are buying a bike that has not gone into production as of today. We are not buying a bike custom made for you or me. When the line starts building them they won't stop for a long time, kind of like making mw-ovens. Then shipped out to regional Ldcs and on to the stores at the most cost effective way. This is a preorder deal, not a made to order.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I ordered mine during the first week of release/pre-order, and was told delivery in December. I work for a manufacturing company and understand the complications involved in the release of a new product, so I am personally anticipating a January delivery... low expectations means less chance of disappointment. I assume I will get the VIN when I show up to pick up my bike and look down to read the VIN. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hope I am not speaking above my rank, but here is how it works. We are buying a bike that has not gone into production as of today. We are not buying a bike custom made for you or me. When the line starts building them they won't stop for a long time, kind of like making mw-ovens. Then shipped out to regional Ldcs and on to the stores at the most cost effective way. This is a preorder deal, not a made to order.
I understand, like I said it was just merely a curiosity as I haven't ordered a motorcycle before

One Day Closer.
Yes indeed :D
I ordered mine during the first week of release/pre-order, and was told delivery in December. I work for a manufacturing company and understand the complications involved in the release of a new product, so I am personally anticipating a January delivery... low expectations means less chance of disappointment. I assume I will get the VIN when I show up to pick up my bike and look down to read the VIN. ;)
:D

·
Registered
163 Posts
I assume I will get the VIN when I show up to pick up my bike and look down to read the VIN.
You should get your notified of your VIN from the dealer as soon as they get shipping confirmation. People will need the VIN in order to work out financing with their lender of choice.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
You should get your notified of your VIN from the dealer as soon as they get shipping confirmation. People will need the VIN in order to work out financing with their lender of choice.
You also need the VIN for insurance.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
You also need the VIN for insurance.
I swapped plates and suspended insurance. I need the VIN so the plates and insurance match. Technically I have an active plate with no vehicle or insurance.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Md MVA would throw a daily $$.$$ penalty at you for that one Red1. This VIN Forum thread is like the gear indicator one, passing my time

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
The dealer has the plate. Part of the vehicle transfer process. Insurance company told me about saving a few bucks by suspending coverage. They were quite helpful.

Reactions: harry

·
Registered
441 Posts
Will have to think about moving to Pa when I retire, Md is not so flexible

·
Registered
228 Posts
I was told by my dealer yesterday that the VINs would not be available until they see them from the delivery driver. That is the first time they see them. I was told we would have all of our pre-ordered Scouts by the new year, per the Regional Indian Representative. We will see...one more day gone

Reactions: Edward Walsh

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have ordered cars before and usually get a vin within a week or two of placing the order, but I have never ordered a motorcycle before and was wondering at what point does a vin get generated? This is just a curiosity really as I know there probably isn't much you can do with it, but it would probably help me feel that I am that much closer to getting it :D
I put a deposit on a Scout during Biketoberfest in Daytona Beach. My receipt came with a VIN# included.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I put a deposit on a Scout during Biketoberfest in Daytona Beach. My receipt came with a VIN# included.
Congrats on you purchase. Curious though, you are the second person to note they got a VIN number on a Scout. Have you verified it is a valid number? If so, I would like to know why the inconsistency.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts