Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody seen some of the reviews talking about vibration of the Scout? If you go out to the Indian Site a few of them mention vibration and uncomfortable, numbing riding after just a short distance. I've seen articles talk about the vibration in the higher RPMs but not much regarding the lower end.

One of the things that sold me on the Scout was the smooth engine that reviewers were bragging about. Some of the HD people I know mildly complain about the rattling HDs produce, I can only take their word as I have no experience. I don't like the idea of being vibrated to death, not fun.

Took a test ride of a Victory XC and loved the power and smoothness but wanted to go for the XCT (was a little too much for my pocketbook at the time). Of course Indian came along and introduced the Scout and I was instantly seduced. Bang, money down and reserved!

None of this is souring me on the reservation I made for my Scout but wondered if anybody who has been on a demo ride would chime in?

·
Registered
87 Posts
My demo ride isn't until the 19th, but I have read nothing but smoothness down low and some vibes much higher in the rev range. I remember reading a review which stated, very smooth at 75mph, with some vibes after that, but minimal. I'm sure those that have ridden it will chime in.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Same here, everything I've read says very smooth until about 6K then a little vibration. I'm sure will be much less than my Fat Bob, never got used to vibes after years of riding a Magna. I'll let you know after my demo Tuesday!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I hope you get a long demo ride on Tuesday Cecil. Most of mine have been about 10 minutes. There's a YouTube video of a guy on the Scout for 25 min! Can't wait for your report. Oh, one more thing...see if the mirrors work. The stalks seem awful short to me, like you'd only see your arms. Thanks:)

·
Registered
958 Posts
I rode a scout on a 12 mile demo ride out of tytlers in depere wi, does it vibrate, yes some, is it intrusive, no. I think a person can live with it. I never ride more than a 100 miles before I take a break, maybe just to gas up and that's enough of a break. Then there's lunch somewhere nice and that's a longer break and I am good for the day. Now I am no Iron butt contender I know that and I am in my mid 60's. I rode a victory today that had turbo modification and boy did that baby pull hard. I wasn't wearing a helmet so I took it a little easy, but man the power where normal victorys are topping out this baby just kept accelerating, awesome

·
Registered
143 Posts
I demo'd a Scout yesterday, I felt minimal vibration...a good thing, right?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My demo ride isn't until the 19th, but I have read nothing but smoothness down low and some vibes much higher in the rev range. I remember reading a review which stated, very smooth at 75mph, with some vibes after that, but minimal. I'm sure those that have ridden it will chime in.
I'll be looking for that unbiased review Mycool. :p

Same here, everything I've read says very smooth until about 6K then a little vibration. I'm sure will be much less than my Fat Bob, never got used to vibes after years of riding a Magna. I'll let you know after my demo Tuesday!
I'll be hitting my refresh all day on Tuesday waiting for that. ;)

I rode a scout on a 12 mile demo ride out of tytlers in depere wi, does it vibrate, yes some, is it intrusive, no. I think a person can live with it. I never ride more than a 100 miles before I take a break, maybe just to gas up and that's enough of a break. Then there's lunch somewhere nice and that's a longer break and I am good for the day. Now I am no Iron butt contender I know that and I am in my mid 60's. I rode a victory today that had turbo modification and boy did that baby pull hard. I wasn't wearing a helmet so I took it a little easy, but man the power where normal victorys are topping out this baby just kept accelerating, awesome
When I jump on a bike, it's typically less than 100 mile round trip and a little vibration here and there is expected. I think the Victory's are killer good bikes. I worked with a guy who owned a HD and all I'd hear all the time was how great HD was and everything else on the planet was crap and in particular Victory was the worse... Blah... Blah... Blah... Victory would be my 2nd choice had I not reserved the Scout. In fact (don't tell my wife) I'll probably go looking for a 2nd bike (used) and likely try to find a XCT.

I demo'd a Scout yesterday, I felt minimal vibration...a good thing, right?
+1 on that!

I had a demo on The Scout, stayed below 5500 rpm....no vibration mirrors were clear.
Since I've not been close to a Scout other than pics, reviews and this forum, what is up with the mirror complaints? I've seen a couple of comments about poor coverage. My guess has been the mirror posts aren't bent or allow enough movement for good coverage? If the mirrors were clear Craig than I'd say that was a good indication of a smooth ride.

Damn, I can't wait for the end of the month so I can see, touch, sit and talk with the factory people about the Scout. No demo but I'll be glad to at least see what my money is buying. I heard on another thread about potential changes before it gets to us. I'm okay with change as long as it's minimal and improvements such as; gas gauge or miles to empty, gear indicator, slightly bigger fuel capacity (my Kawasaki Vulcan 800 had a small tank and when it hit 120 miles on the odo I knew I needed to look for gas, not a big deal) and LOWER PRICES ON ACCESSORIES PLEASE!

I know, I know, I can't let those things go... :(

·
Founding member
1,763 Posts
I haven't ridden a Scout yet, and the demo truck won't be around my dealer until October 18-19. I certainly hope the vibration isn't intrusive. That being said, I don't want an American V-twin with no vibration at all. That was part of what sold me on my Buell. It had more "personality" than all the same old silky smooth Japanese I4s. Of course I don't want it to have too much "personality" either.

I remember my friend's father's bored and stoked 1970 Chevelle SS. That thing was putting down 700 hp at the wheels. You started it up and it roared to life and the entire car shook and you thought "Oh my God!, this thing is awesome!!!". Then you drove it for more than about 20 minutes and thought "Oh my God! This thing is unbearable!!" Clearly some middle ground is needed

Reactions: jdmatthew

·
Registered
7 Posts
I meant there was no vibration making the mirrors hard to use. It wasn't a complaint about the mirrors. When I got on the bike the mirrors weren't adjusted for me, and I never tried to get them better.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I meant there was no vibration making the mirrors hard to use. It wasn't a complaint about the mirrors. When I got on the bike the mirrors weren't adjusted for me, and I never tried to get them better.
Oops! Didn't mean it the way it sounded Craig. Sorry about that... I liked that you said about the mirrors weren't vibrating and clear! Good stuff.

In other posts I've heard complaints regarding the lack of coverage to the rear but its not clear (pardon the pun) if it's because they won't adjust enough to get the angle people want, possible flaw in the design or just that some of them were so tight they wouldn't move?

Couple of weeks I'll have a chance to get my "up close and personal". Arrrggghhhh! As poor Charlie Brown would belt out in the comics! Anticipation is killing me! My wife says I'm addicted to this forum. Sadly, I think she is right. :p

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have ridden the Scout several times now, it's a hell of a bike. There is no vibration. If you get it above 6000 rpm (it redlines at 9000) you get a bit of a buzz but it kind of adds to the experience, I mean the engine is really ripping at that point. I'm 6' tall and I loved the ride, so much that I ordered one. It is very much like its name sake, size wise it's similar to a 101 Scout but lower. For those that may not know, the original Scout that created the legend was not a big bike and was fast and dependable. That's why they raced Scouts and not the big Chiefs. Lots of folks expected a bigger bike I guess, but they must of been comparing it to the Gilroy era. The bike is smooth, I wouldn't worry about vibration. Go ride it, hammer the throttle and you'll be amazed, especially through some tight turns. Moral of the story... Quickest way to 60 mph is just put it in 2nd gear.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have ridden the Scout several times now, it's a hell of a bike. There is no vibration. If you get it above 6000 rpm (it redlines at 9000) you get a bit of a buzz but it kind of adds to the experience, I mean the engine is really ripping at that point. I'm 6' tall and I loved the ride, so much that I ordered one. It is very much like its name sake, size wise it's similar to a 101 Scout but lower. For those that may not know, the original Scout that created the legend was not a big bike and was fast and dependable. That's why they raced Scouts and not the big Chiefs. Lots of folks expected a bigger bike I guess, but they must of been comparing it to the Gilroy era. The bike is smooth, I wouldn't worry about vibration. Go ride it, hammer the throttle and you'll be amazed, especially through some tight turns. Moral of the story... Quickest way to 60 mph is just put it in 2nd gear.
Thanks for the comment indian4ever. I continue to be excited about the purchase and even more so with the great info out here on IndianMotorcycles.net. Good group on this forum!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm pickin' up good vibrations
My Indian Scout is giving me excitations (Oom bop bop)
I'm pickin' up good vibrations (Good vibrations, oom bop bop)
My Indian Scout is giving me excitations (Excitations, oom bop bop)
Good, good, good, good vibrations (Oom bop bop)
She's giving me excitations (Excitations, oom bop bop)
My Indian Scout is giving me excitations (Excitations)

Gotta keep those lovin' good vibrations a-happenin' with my Indian Scout
Gotta keep those lovin' good vibrations a-happenin'

·
Registered
53 Posts
Had a nice long demo ride on the Scout 8/20 in Madison. No complaints about the vibration at any speed, including what I felt was minimal and manageable vibration at rpm over 7500. I felt the bike was smooth and noticed no problems with mirror vibration impairing view to side and behind. I am 5"11", 185 pounds and felt the bike riding position was quite comfortable for my frame. Because the Scout has a wide range of speed available for each gear, the choice of when to shift makes it possible to cruise at low, medium, or high rpm. I also felt the bike had ample power available at a wide range of rpm in any gear, but excelled in the 5000 to 7000 rpm range. As I understand, vibration may vary for different riders because of subtle differences in aerodynamics depending on riders build, riding position, and riding gear, but for me, I felt longer rides on the Scout would be comfortable. I also felt the Scout has the flexibility in power distribution and handling to potentially fit many riding styles.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Had a nice long demo ride on the Scout 8/20 in Madison. No complaints about the vibration at any speed, including what I felt was minimal and manageable vibration at rpm over 7500. I felt the bike was smooth and noticed no problems with mirror vibration impairing view to side and behind. I am 5"11", 185 pounds and felt the bike riding position was quite comfortable for my frame. Because the Scout has a wide range of speed available for each gear, the choice of when to shift makes it possible to cruise at low, medium, or high rpm. I also felt the bike had ample power available at a wide range of rpm in any gear, but excelled in the 5000 to 7000 rpm range. As I understand, vibration may vary for different riders because of subtle differences in aerodynamics depending on riders build, riding position, and riding gear, but for me, I felt longer rides on the Scout would be comfortable. I also felt the Scout has the flexibility in power distribution and handling to potentially fit many riding styles.
This all pretty much matches up with what the pros in this forum (I say that because it is very obvious that people here know so much more than the dealers) have experienced! Nice little write up Sturgis63. The magazine guys seem to feel the same way. And good point on aerodynamics/body types.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,753 Posts
I remember my friend's father's bored and stoked 1970 Chevelle SS. That thing was putting down 700 hp at the wheels. You started it up and it roared to life and the entire car shook and you thought "Oh my God!, this thing is awesome!!!". Then you drove it for more than about 20 minutes and thought "Oh my God! This thing is unbearable!!" Clearly some middle ground is needed
I know what you mean. I have a Saturn Sky Redline that I have modified to the extent that it is really fun to drive, but not comfortable for a trip.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm pickin' up good vibrations
My Indian Scout is giving me excitations (Oom bop bop)
I'm pickin' up good vibrations (Good vibrations, oom bop bop)
My Indian Scout is giving me excitations (Excitations, oom bop bop)
She's giving me excitations (Excitations, oom bop bop)
My Indian Scout is giving me excitations (Excitations)

Gotta keep those lovin' good vibrations a-happenin'

Amen Brother! I own, love and ride a rigid framed HD Shovelhead. If a bike doesn't tingle a bit, to me it feels like you're riding a vacuum cleaner! That Scout is gonna be awesome!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I took 3 test rides over the past 2 days, about 20 mins each... vibration is minimal under 4K, increases from 5-9K (but what a rush!). Having come from a Fat Bob I barely noticed it.

Funny, I hadn't thought about it until I read this thread but I couldn't get mirrors adjusted so that I could see anything directly behind me. It's not a vibration issue, the stalks just need to be a little longer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I took 3 test rides over the past 2 days, about 20 mins each... vibration is minimal under 4K, increases from 5-9K (but what a rush!). Having come from a Fat Bob I barely noticed it.

Funny, I hadn't thought about it until I read this thread but I couldn't get mirrors adjusted so that I could see anything directly behind me. It's not a vibration issue, the stalks just need to be a little longer.
Thats what I thought. They look awful short. When I was sitting on the beast, I was so mesmerized, I forgot to look into the mirrors!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts