Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just did a valve clearance check on my Scout. It’s a 2017 ABS model with 22k miles. I thought people may be interested in reading about it. I will say in advance that my bike has a loose right exhaust valve in the front cylinder that I am going to have adjusted by the dealer. The procedure was moderately difficult for me, a hobbyist mechanic at best; attempt at your own risk. Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

Materials and tools

bike lift+tiedowns, etc
A SERVICE MANUAL
hex and torx sockets
torx allen wrench or similar low profile tool
torque adapter
rubber mallet or wood block +hammer
various metric sockets to remove bolts, plus a 3” and 6” socket extension
one 22mm socket
Feeler gauge set
Replacement zip ties
two torque wrenches - most small bolts are 10-14NM, frame bolts are 30-35ft lbs. check your service manual for actual values
a headlamp
6 NEW valve cover isolators $11.xx each plus shipping from Indian Motorcycle

Before the valve covers can be accessed, the following parts must be removed:
Seat
Fuel tank- I disconnect the fuel rail to tank line at the fuel rail. you can see a demonstration of this here: Screaming Scout Intake installation
Both side frame rails, including cutting the zip ties
Factory air box or whatever you have there instead
plug coils
spark plugs

flywheel inspection cover removed
The cover for this is held in place by 2 allen bolts and has an o-ring seal between itself and the stator cover. it requires some wiggling to remove. Once it is off, the flywheel nut is visible as pictured. It is turned in the direction indicated to move the engine through its cycle manually

top view of rear valve cover
In this view I have already cut the zip tie holding the wiring harness where marked. I later removed the coolant overflow line where indicated. I also had to remove the fuel injector, directly in front of the valve cover, toward the front of the bike. Once the torx screws are removed from the valve cover, tap the cover on either side with a rubber mallet or equivalent to loosen it. this valve cover has very little space around it. I had to elevate the cover on alternating sides to remove the valve cover gasket. I was then able to remove the cover without risking damage to the gasket. It is removed toward the right side of the bike. inside the valve cover there is a spark plug tube seal, be sure to remove it.

rear cylinder, flywheel side
From the flywheel side, rotate engine counterclockwise until the pair of valves you want to measure have the lobes pointing straight up from the valve like pictured here, and in the service manual. Then use feeler gauges to measure clearance. Repeat for other pair of valves. Clean the valve cover mating surfaces and place the gasket back on the head, then replace the valve cover. The gasket has a central ridge that mates to a groove on the underside of the valve cover. Also, be sure to put the spark plug tube seal back. Make sure it stays in place while you are moving the cover and gasket around. Then, install the NEW valve isolators and torque to spec of service manual. Do not replace the spark plug yet.

Front cylinder
Removal of this valve cover is more difficult. I had to remove the right front valve cover bolt with a torx allen wrench due to lack of space between it and the frame. You could also use a low profile wrench, with some kind of torque wrench adapter. I also had to disconnect the radiator hose as pictured. No coolant was lost when doing this. I initially attempted to detach the thermostat housing, but that did not provide enough space. This valve cover came out to the left of the bike. Measuring the valve clearance is the same as for the rear cylinder. This was when I discovered the loose right exhaust valve, clearance 0.010-0.0105”(max is 0.009”). replacement of the valve cover is similar to the rear cover. Then reassemble the bike in the reverse order you took it apart,torquing to spec.

I hope this description was helpful. I am not a professional mechanic, so caveat emptor. I would appreciate feedback from anyone who notices an error, or has a better way of doing any of the tasks described here. Also, any suggestions for torque adapters for these hard to reach areas would be appreciated.
Main takeaway: check your valves!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks-And you intend to have it adjusted?
I'm putting off this check so far. I'm accustomed to checking every 6,000 but I may wait until 30K with this bike.

·
Bronze member
1,941 Posts
Front right exhaust valve measures 0.0105, spec is 0.007-0.009 for those
Had to ask as my wife's Scout was very loud,.....no VERY LOUD from the top end.
It took multiple trips to the dealer for them to even look at the bike. We were told that "it's normal" or "they all do that". Her motor, at times was louder than the exhaust, and compared to my Scout, well it wasn't even close.
There were multiple loose valves as well as the cam chains.
It finally got repaired, but it was an ordeal to that point.

Hope you get satisfaction from your dealer.......good luck

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had to ask as my wife's Scout was very loud,.....no VERY LOUD from the top end.
It took multiple trips to the dealer for them to even look at the bike. We were told that "it's normal" or "they all do that". Her motor, at times was louder than the exhaust, and compared to my Scout, well it wasn't even close.
There were multiple loose valves as well as the cam chains.
It finally got repaired, but it was an ordeal to that point.

Hope you get satisfaction from your dealer.......good luck
Well, I am sorry you had that kind of experience. Mine wasnt that loud, but there was definitely a ticking from that area. Thanks for the information

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,380 Posts
My valve train noise on my 2019 is pretty much a non issue but the bike is barely past break-in mileage. I only notice it occasionally. Still it's good to know what to expect and how to correct it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Update: Valve tappet replaced by Mission City Indian in Boerne, TX. They did great work and the bike is much quieter now. I recommend this dealership if you're in the area. They were great, even though they were shut down for about a month due to the coronavirus. Total repair cost was $523.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts