Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at El Mirage dry lake in CA today watching SCTA land speed racing and riding my ATV, and Indian Motorcycles had brought a 2015 Scout for top speed runs on the dry lake bed:
el_mirage.jpg

Unfortunately I wasn't able to catch any action shots, but there was a magazine photographer shooting the bikes so I'm assuming an article will follow.

Anyway, one of the Indian techs told me they had run 128 MPH on the first run. He said the bike is bone stock except for the clip on bars and the steering damper you can see in the photo. Now the bad news is that the stock ECU has a speed limiter at 115 MPH, which they had removed from the El Mirage bike. I find the speed limiter inappropriate in a bike marketed for its performance heritage, but hopefully the aftermarket will solve the problem :)

·
Registered
468 Posts
I was at El Mirage dry lake in CA today watching SCTA land speed racing and riding my ATV, and Indian Motorcycles had brought a 2015 Scout for top speed runs on the dry lake bed:
View attachment 3240

Unfortunately I wasn't able to catch any action shots, but there was a magazine photographer shooting the bikes so I'm assuming an article will follow.

Anyway, one of the Indian techs told me they had run 128 MPH on the first run. He said the bike is bone stock except for the clip on bars and the steering damper you can see in the photo. Now the bad news is that the stock ECU has a speed limiter at 115 MPH, which they had removed from the El Mirage bike. I find the speed limiter inappropriate in a bike marketed for its performance heritage, but hopefully the aftermarket will solve the problem :)
Shows what it can do, eh.
Thanks for sharin' jpool.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Rebuild it, re-gear it and Supercharge it.

With some serious re-work and perfect trials conditions,
I bet the bike could just about double it's 128mph speed.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Thanks for the "heads-up" pic's! It seems to show that Indian might be interested in pursuing a "high performance" image for the bike that is based on actual experience! I also see they had a Chief on the trailer, so how did it run?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Thanks for the "heads-up" pic's! It seems to show that Indian might be interested in pursuing a "high performance" image for the bike that is based on actual experience! I also see they had a Chief on the trailer, so how did it run?
They just might do that, too, you know. The brand's heritage gives them every right to do so and... I think cannot help but
push the new IMC to pursue all areas of high performance sport-bike applications and not just lipservice and photo-ops and
definitely not just another pretty cruiser.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, I'm so fixated on the Scout that I didn't even ask about the Chief :) There was also an original 101 Scout and a Sport Scout cruising back and forth in the pit area and another 2015 Scout with Minnesota manufacturer plates, so Indian Motorcycles is definitely investing to build a "hot rod" image for the new Scout.

That 115 MPH speed limiter needs to be addressed though. For me the allure of motorcycling involves letting her rip every now and then, and I've taken even my current Harley above 115 several times. I think the Scout should have potential to 135-140 MPH with a few speed parts, so the factory speed limiter has to go to avoid embarrassment from near-stock Harleys :)

·
Founding member
1,763 Posts
I am surprised to hear they limited the bike to 115 mph, especially as like you said, they seem to be pushing the daredevil angle with a factory Wall of Death custom and now speed runs. I'm also surprised they didn't throw on their own stage 1 exhaust. Definitely needs a few tweaks to unleash its inner beast. I still think they have the basis for a very fast bike with only minor work.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Sorry, I'm so fixated on the Scout that I didn't even ask about the Chief :) There was also an original 101 Scout and a Sport Scout cruising back and forth in the pit area and another 2015 Scout with Minnesota manufacturer plates, so Indian Motorcycles is definitely investing to build a "hot rod" image for the new Scout.

That 115 MPH speed limiter needs to be addressed though. For me the allure of motorcycling involves letting her rip every now and then, and I've taken even my current Harley above 115 several times. I think the Scout should have potential to 135-140 MPH with a few speed parts, so the factory speed limiter has to go to avoid embarrassment from near-stock Harleys :)

I think the ecm setting could be an insurance bracketing measure. I've heard that via detuning "tweaks", a factory vehicle can qualify for certain
perks that benefit the customer. And naturally leave it up to the customer to hot rod it.

I think the actual top speed potential of the OE Factory Scout, out of the box, based on redline, tire dia. and fdrat. is about 160.
(been awhile since I made that calculation & could be a slight off).
Notice the blackout engine?

say Jpool, What was the color of that Minnesota mfg plated 2015 Scout?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the ecm setting could be an insurance bracketing measure. I've heard that via detuning "tweaks", a factory vehicle can qualify for certain
perks that benefit the customer. And naturally leave it up to the customer to hot rod it.

I think the actual top speed potential of the OE Factory Scout, out of the box, based on redline, tire dia. and fdrat. is about 160.
(been awhile since I made that calculation & could be a slight off).
Notice the blackout engine?

say Jpool, What was the color of that Minnesota mfg plated 2015 Scout?
I sure hope the speed limiter is defeatable. The stock gearing is good for 160, but with the cruiser aerodynamics, I think you'd need a forced induction race engine to get there. Maybe one of those Twinhit fairings would help though :)

The other Scout was Indian Red, but it didn't make a top speed run:

red_scout.jpg

·
Registered
468 Posts
IMHO, Indian should pursue a street/track and MotoGP racing program in the future.
Cruisers are fun but imagine someone like Casey Stoner, Valentino Rossi, the great Agostini
successfully showin' the world what an Indian Super Bike can do.
My fingers are crossed.

I simply cannot cease my mantra that IMC can go in so many directions, it's not funny.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Double the Double Nickles is pretty quick in my book especially on the street where 55 to zero is a much more likely number to see you around and discussing the incident. Everyone likes to open them up once in awhile but, Indian seems to understand thats best done on a lake bed or a track. Why give the cage dwellers more reasons to demand greater controlls.

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
If the scout does really take off in sales, it will be interesting to see how HD responds. HD has a lot of money tied up in the V-Rod Motor.

And in the context of this thread, I also wonder what the top speed of the V-Rod "Destroyer" model is.

Motor architecture wise we're talking the same.... At least they are both 60 degree double overhead cam, counterbalanced and water cooled.

When the V-Rod came out, It was rumored, and many of us HD fans feared that it was the future engine to power many platforms for Harley.

That we would loose the traditional 45 degree potato, potato motor, that was/is still the magic sound.

With the introduction of the V-Rod motor, I think HD has given (with their sales and popularity clout) the green light to the 60 degree engine sound/design.

Now Indian grabbed the ball and is running with it.

I also think that Polaris/Indian should look at building a water cooled engine for a Chief sized bike with the 60 degree cylinder spacing, as it allows for lower center of gravity then a 45(HD) or 49 (Chief) engine. With modern manufacturing knowledge they could phase the crank at 45 degrees to give the potato potato sound, with the efficient nodding rod counter balancer, power would be smooth. That would make for a bike that looks, sounds and runs like no other.

Low, cool and fast. And totally original.
Not a copy. Possibly the next level of entertainment and power.

Here is a example of playing with crank phasing by Honda.
Honda Worldwide | Global 700cc Engine for Next-Generation | Introduction

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
At Sturgis they had a Scout on the Dyno and ran it up to 160 mph. I didn't catch what they had done as far as removing the limiter. Apparently they did though.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
perks that benefit the customer.
What might some of those "perks" be?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts