Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for input on tires for my scout. I’ve used Michelin commander 2’s before and they were great. Anyone used the commander 3’s? Also, does anyone have any input on shinko tires. They’re a little cheaper, so they caught my interest. I’m looking for grip and longevity. I try not to ride in the rain as much as possible, but you always get caught in it at some point, so information on performance in wet conditions would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

·
Rider
620 Posts
I don't have much advice for the other stuff but Shinkos have this reputation for being awesome tires that run cheaper than everyone else for how good they are.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I love my Shinko white walls - maybe 6 weeks on the bike and abt 500 miles. So no word on longevity and I’m one of these guys, too, who avoids riding in rain.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I personally have no but I know a lot of people who have.
I think I’m gonna give them a try. The price is hard to beat. I’ve also heard good things about them. Super sticky, which I like. The Kendas I’ve had on the bike are not sticky at all. I appreciate the input.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I hear lots of good things about the Shinko tires but I tried them on my Road Glide a couple years ago and they had a wobble at 75mph I could not get out. Good news is I worked with Chaparral where I purchased them and they worked with Shinko for a full refund including freight. I did not try another set I went with Metzeler on the second try and they worked out great. My observations on the Shinko was they ran a little skinny compared to the same size Dunlop or Metzeler. As far as grip they seemed to stick well but I wouldn’t call them super sticky. I am not bashing the tires as I feel I probably just got a bad one. It’s more of a complement on Shinko and Chaparral on how they handled the defective tire. I may give them a try again one day, they are a great looking tire and a great price. Let us know what you think when you get a few miles on them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have installed Michelin Commander III. They feel well planted and far superior grip comparing to stock Kendas.

Unfortunately quality control and production from the factory in Thailand is too bad. What happened to me is that one tire from the set of two was defective. Out-of-Round >3mm over the 1/4 of the circumference. Unaceptable. Tire can be balanced well, perfect, but that does not mean one can ride elliptical tire without the terrible vibrations between 40-55 mph.

I had to order another tire, and that tire is not perfect. Out-of-Round is small but measurable, app. 1mm over the 1/3 - 1/4 of the circumference. I still feel vibrations, I guess, but I decided it could be accepted. Maybe I am wrong, a friend of mine says tire has to be dead round, period.
I hope that only I got bad tire(s), and that not whole production is bad. But that is not likely, since 2 out of 3 tires I had to measure were Out-of-Round. I lost whole month about this defective tire, 2 times installing cost, roughly $200 out of my pocket without the reason, and 10 pounds of my nerves.

Shipping the tire back was pain, lousy UPS requires that tire has to ship in the box, and they tried to sell me a cardboard box for $28!!!! No matter I received the tire by the UPS what was not boxed. Go to Home Cheapo, put the facemask, wait in the line with other masked zombies to get inside, they had a pile of cardboard boxes for $0.50 - $7 but not the size to fit the 16" tire. Fedex was little more flexible, they accepted to ship non-boxed tire for the penalty fee of $13!!! Ok. Bit that was not the end, instead of delivery in 2 days, it took FEDEX whole week to show tracking number item delivered, due to "scanner error". I truly hope all 3 of those companies go bankrupt asap and dissolve and their moron employees became hungry beggars.

Tire Warranty is another story, what I would ask you to pay attention: they tried to convince me that tire could not be replaced under warranty because I installed the tire myself. "Are you lincenced CFI technician?" No. "Well, sorry, too bad, its your fault". Well, tire warranty says: it is not covering "Incorrect mounting or dismounting of the tire, tire/wheel imbalance or repair;" It does NOT say person who installs the tire has to be licenced and/or certified. It is good enough just to install the tire properly. So, if they start to give you that, and they will 100% surely try that first, read your warranty carefully word by word (only lawyers do that).

Tire shops have never seen Out-of-Round tire, people who work with the tires, install the tires told me they never check if the tire is round. But I learned that hard way, over the years, I had 7 Out-of-Round car tires + 2 above mentioned motorcycle tires. None of those car tires was premium brand, 3 were knockoffs made under the license of BF Goodrich, and the other 4 some South Korea crappy Primewell Tires from Firestone Auto Care. Straight to the garbage and installed good brand of tires. The problem is nowadays good brands of tires are made in Asia.

Thats why I was surprised I had 1 bad and one not perfect Michelin motorcycle tire. I suspect its due to the particular factory in Thailand.

Today I was rotating the Michelin Latitude tires on Ford Explorer, they look like brand new, 5.6 - 6.0mm thread left after 42.000 miles (out of 7.9mm initially), what my math shows like 70% of thread left after 42k miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m gonna try them. Now I need to find whitewalls in stock somewhere.
I just bought a set of Shinko 777 White Walls this past Wednesday morning, they were delivered Saturday. They’re sold out most places but you will find them on Motosport.com. They came out to 229.71 with tax. I would act quick if you want a set. I’m in SoCal btw. Cheers

·
Registered
150 Posts
I run the Shinko 240's on my 2015. More of a flatter profile than the rounded 270, it still has a nice crown to it though, its not a trailer tire.

I mounted them myself and they balanced very easily, I used way less wheel weights than the factory Indian tires did. I also run tubes in them.

I had to grab some brake sunday with truck coming out of a driveway faking me out that he was pulling out, control was fine and they gripped great.

I do not ride when its raining good but I got caught it a light shower a while back and they didn't feel like they lost any grip.

I took a chance and so far I like 'em.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have installed Michelin Commander III. They feel well planted and far superior grip comparing to stock Kendas.

Unfortunately quality control and production from the factory in Thailand is too bad. What happened to me is that one tire from the set of two was defective. Out-of-Round >3mm over the 1/4 of the circumference. Unaceptable. Tire can be balanced well, perfect, but that does not mean one can ride elliptical tire without the terrible vibrations between 40-55 mph.

I had to order another tire, and that tire is not perfect. Out-of-Round is small but measurable, app. 1mm over the 1/3 - 1/4 of the circumference. I still feel vibrations, I guess, but I decided it could be accepted. Maybe I am wrong, a friend of mine says tire has to be dead round, period.
I hope that only I got bad tire(s), and that not whole production is bad. But that is not likely, since 2 out of 3 tires I had to measure were Out-of-Round. I lost whole month about this defective tire, 2 times installing cost, roughly $200 out of my pocket without the reason, and 10 pounds of my nerves.

Shipping the tire back was pain, lousy UPS requires that tire has to ship in the box, and they tried to sell me a cardboard box for $28!!!! No matter I received the tire by the UPS what was not boxed. Go to Home Cheapo, put the facemask, wait in the line with other masked zombies to get inside, they had a pile of cardboard boxes for $0.50 - $7 but not the size to fit the 16" tire. Fedex was little more flexible, they accepted to ship non-boxed tire for the penalty fee of $13!!! Ok. Bit that was not the end, instead of delivery in 2 days, it took FEDEX whole week to show tracking number item delivered, due to "scanner error". I truly hope all 3 of those companies go bankrupt asap and dissolve and their moron employees became hungry beggars.

Tire Warranty is another story, what I would ask you to pay attention: they tried to convince me that tire could not be replaced under warranty because I installed the tire myself. "Are you lincenced CFI technician?" No. "Well, sorry, too bad, its your fault". Well, tire warranty says: it is not covering "Incorrect mounting or dismounting of the tire, tire/wheel imbalance or repair;" It does NOT say person who installs the tire has to be licenced and/or certified. It is good enough just to install the tire properly. So, if they start to give you that, and they will 100% surely try that first, read your warranty carefully word by word (only lawyers do that).

Tire shops have never seen Out-of-Round tire, people who work with the tires, install the tires told me they never check if the tire is round. But I learned that hard way, over the years, I had 7 Out-of-Round car tires + 2 above mentioned motorcycle tires. None of those car tires was premium brand, 3 were knockoffs made under the license of BF Goodrich, and the other 4 some South Korea crappy Primewell Tires from Firestone Auto Care. Straight to the garbage and installed good brand of tires. The problem is nowadays good brands of tires are made in Asia.

Thats why I was surprised I had 1 bad and one not perfect Michelin motorcycle tire. I suspect its due to the particular factory in Thailand.

Today I was rotating the Michelin Latitude tires on Ford Explorer, they look like brand new, 5.6 - 6.0mm thread left after 42.000 miles (out of 7.9mm initially), what my math shows like 70% of thread left after 42k miles.
Thanks for the info Buck. I installed Commander 2s and found a vibration at about 45-60 mph. Front tire was about 1mm out of round over a third of tire. Question is whether to live with it or try and fight for warranty. Im curious as to how your story ended. Did you finally get a good tire?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks for the info Buck. I installed Commander 2s and found a vibration at about 45-60 mph. Front tire was about 1mm out of round over a third of tire. Question is whether to live with it or try and fight for warranty. Im curious as to how your story ended. Did you finally get a good tire?
I would go back to the retailer that sold the tire and see how they react. I received a bad tire once and the retailer helps to make it right with the manufacturer. Didn’t even need to send it back just provided photos of the tire after it was destroyed. It shouldn’t be a fight to get warranty or good customer service. The retailer was Chaparral and even though they are a big company the customer service was fantastic.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Very welcome, Canoe.

For me 1mm out-of-round turned to be acceptable. I could feel it in the beginning, but few thousand miles later, it feels ok. Therefore I had to ask someone else to test ride my bike to tell me what he feels. He said bike runs like perfect. That was my bad, for I did change tires and change the springs in the front forks at the same time. So I was not able to figure out if sensations come from the tire or forks.

But now I know what to do next time I change the tires:
  • Road test Old tires on the freshly repaved stretch of asphalt road. Repeatedly.
  • Check tires for out-of-round with the wheel installed on the bike or static balancer. Use utility or digital caliper to measure. Rear is hard to measure on bike. If tire looks out-of-round, check rims too, since all crap comes from China and likewise.
  • Road test New tires on the very SAME freshly repaved asphalt road.
More than 1mm out-of-round is not acceptable, I guess. Well, for racing applications tire HAS to be 100% round. Period.

Problem is the installers/shops do not check if tire is out-of-round, they just slap more weights and thats it. And most of them never heard of tire out-of-round thing.

Tires come with the warranty. Read your written warranty carefully. Retailers would not return the tire once it was installed. Michelin favored their warranty.

·
Bronze member
1,457 Posts
Just adding my 2 cents here. Be sure to lube the bead again right before putting air in..plus I always let the air back out and fill a 2nd time . Sometimes a new tire may require this after a few miles because Seating on the rim. Also many tire manufacturers still use a white or yellow paint dot that should align w/the air valve.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts