Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Indian demo was at Menettos in upstate ny recently and I was fortunate to get in 4 demo rides on the Scout. This is a raw, stripped down looking bike without too many bells and whistles. Indian put a modern water cooled engine in a retro styled bike and did something the Japanese could never do…make it authentic. Also, if you want cruise control, a loud stereo , GPS satellite and 250lbs of additional weight then keep looking for another bike.

Engine - Power is strong and linear. This is not glass smooth like a flat 6 from a Gold Wing and has mild vibration when flogging it. It’s fast and I can’t wait to see ¼ mi and 0-60mph times. As others have already said, 4k rpm is a sweet spot for cruising. It can be ridden down to ~3200rpm and pull away cleanly. A very versatile motor that can put put around or use its balanced horsepower/torque to accelerate briskly. I tried my best to feel some abruptness just off idle. None noted. . I had zero issues with vibration. This engine is not smooth like a flat six and demonstrates typical vibration when flogging a modern engine at higher rpm’s..

Transmission –Solid. I can only hope that my Scout’s tranny will feel this good after many thousands of miles. Neutral was easy to find.
Suspension – Rear is much better than expected for 3” of travel. I weigh 185lbs and the suspension felt planted and compliant over bumps. Damping was well balanced treated my back nicely. The front fork performance lagged behind the rear a bit, but was acceptable. No excessive front end diving was noted when clamping down hard on the front brakes. I suspect the forks are not cartridge style and could use a cartridge emulator or some tuning.

Handling – For a “cruiser” this bike is very nimble. The rake and wheelbase make for a bike that feels plenty stable in straight line, but can be a lot of fun in the twisties.

Ergonomics – I’m used to 11 years on a Yamaha FZ1 that places the rider in a more neutral position. However adjusting to the midposition controls seemed seamless with my 30” inseam. I would have to guess that people over 5’10” will be looking at the extended foot controls and/or saddle.

Brakes were very good in power in feel. Not sport bike powerful, but not wooden and weak like some large cruisers.

Overall-As everyone knows this bike is not meant to be a long haul, 8hrs in the saddle kind of bike. If you want a hot, American made, mid-size cruiser that won’t embarrass you in straight line acceleration or its ability to ride the twisties. This is a modern reincarnation of a classic performance bike. Those who don’t like its “small” size due their physical proportions will be better off with 800lb baggers. I really hated getting off this bike. The Scout is a balanced and comfortable bike.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Nice write up Lammy1000. Knowing you have 4 short jaunts on the Scout, how was the seat? Any thoughts on the instrument cluster? Some reviewers complained about too many or similar lights "on" in the cluster, making it confusing. Thanks again!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought the seat was supportive and comfortable. Being a solo seat there is not a lot of room to move around on it, but all seemed good. Of course, (4) 20 minute rides was not enough to truly rate the seat. I liked the single cluster and anyone with of average IQ will quickly ascertain what the lights represent. Also, I would prefer an analog tach, but the digital tach allowed me to glance at the display and see the rpm's without trouble. This is not a sport bike where a rider may want to look down at the tach to watch the rpm gauge bounce off the rev limiter...if you ride a lot and are still alive to read this then you probably keep your eyes on the road. I liked the trigger switch on the back of the left switchgear to scroll through the menu.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I thought the seat was supportive and comfortable. Being a solo seat there is not a lot of room to move around on it, but all seemed good. Of course, (4) 20 minute rides was not enough to truly rate the seat. I liked the single cluster and anyone with of average IQ will quickly ascertain what the lights represent. Also, I would prefer an analog tach, but the digital tach allowed me to glance at the display and see the rpm's without trouble. This is not a sport bike where a rider may want to look down at the tach to watch the rpm gauge bounce off the rev limiter...if you ride a lot and are still alive to read this then you probably keep your eyes on the road. I liked the trigger switch on the back of the left switchgear to scroll through the menu.
Hey Lammy, I found out that the Scout's wheelbase and Rake are very close to the Ducati Diavel. Which I think has an 18" rear 17" front wheel combo. - I thought the light balanced feel of the two bikes was very similar.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The carbon red has had my eye for a while. I was about to pull the trigger, when I stumble upon the beautiful Scout.

·
Registered
468 Posts
The carbon red has had my eye for a while. I was about to pull the trigger, when I stumble upon the beautiful Scout.
It's a NICE bike - I hope it sticks around like the Monster. When I sat on it for the first time, I thought.... this bike fits me like a glove! Then I found out "Diavel" was "Devil"
The Scout on the other hand has at least 100hp - that's about the same as the Diavel in Urban Mode, if I recall correctly. But I hear that the Scout really starts to scoot at
around 5500-5900 when the torque begins to peak. I don't know if you had read my "Custom Scout Thread" yet but in there, I highlighting the potential of the Scout. I can see a
101 Scout and Sport Scout variants to join the now Standard Scout lineup, some day if Indian does like it did with the Chiefs. Only, the future Scout "X" would be even more high performance
oriented for a correspondingly higher price point. - Cheers to good taste in Italian Motorcycle Engine Whine... ummm as it were.
Anyway, I just cannot help but see more Scout models being introduced.

Did you put a deposit on the Scout?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I won't let you down Twinhit! :)...in fact, I'm having some surgery in the morning and hope to be well enough to go ride the bike in the afternoon!

·
Registered
468 Posts
I won't let you down Twinhit! :)...in fact, I'm having some surgery in the morning and hope to be well enough to go ride the bike in the afternoon!

Great! :)

Best wishes on that surgery.

I'd like to throw this bit of advice to everyone else who may read this who are waiting for the bike to come to town.
If you have a camera, please take pics and post them.
IF you have video camera like those GoPro cams that can be stuck the helmet and who post on youtube, please, by all means film your demo Scout ride, upload and share. - you guys are
witnessing history with the real rebirth of one of motorcycle history's most legendary motorcycles from Indian Motorcycle- It's one of those things that only happens once. It's one of those things you tell your grandkids about. - Please realize that you're among the very first people who gets to see the bike, to see it in person, to touch the bike, and start and hear the bike, and for some, ride the bike. I made the mistake of not getting more pics. And if you're youtube savvy and have such a camera GoPro, take videos of the bike and your demo rides, and upload and share them with us. You will thank yourself
in the long run. -

oh and one other thing - and it's important, please try to find ways to reduce wind noise - some cameras have filters and some users have been successful with home made "wind-filters" that almost eliminate wind noise. - Some have used seat foam over cotton with a fuzzy material that can be had at fabric stores - If you ever seen a news camera crew on location, the guy holding the
pill shaped microphone on the end of a boom, you may have noticed the microphone was fuzzy hairy. that "hairy" wig on the mic is what helps keep the wind noise down. - Anyway google research that and experiment - your ride-along video viewers will thank you for it and you'll be glad you did.
:)

Anyway thanks MyCool - get well soon and have fun - please alert me of your report in case I may have forgotten - thank in advance. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Nice video on the test ride. I would add that cornering on the scout is superb at both low and high speed with a generous lean angle (for a cruiser) that holds the line well. I agree with the comfort of the riding position and the feel of being with the bike rather than separate from it. Very fun to ride.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I think that probably just about sums it up! Wow!

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
One of the better demo rides and review. Thanks for posting.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts