Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I'm not duplicating another thread. I did a search and didn't find anything on what, if anything, Scout owners may have done or are thinking about doing to prevent scratching their tank.

I'm very careful when I get on and off my bike and I may be overly sensitive, but I thought I noticed just the slightest bit of scuffing where the tank meets the seat. I love the looks of the bare tank, but I really don't want scuffed paint either.

I know you've all seen tank protectors similar to the one in my attachment, but I was wondering if anyone out there has any 'innovative' ideas that would fit in with the style of a Scout. Worse case scenario, which isn't bad at all, is to simply install a generic 'stick on' protector. Like I said, not a bad solution perhaps, but somehow it seems the Scout should have something a little special. :cool:

Any ideas or comments??? Thanks in advance.
Tank protector.png

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
With the upright riding position is a tank protector needed?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
Please don't use one like that...

There are clear protectors, essentially just a thick clear vinyl you can get and cut to size. Google is your friend: 'clear motorcycle tank protector.' Presumably someone will make you a leather one running the leangth of the top of the tank if you're in a more decorative mood. Maybe even with fringe...

·
Founding member
1,068 Posts
I'm happy that I don't have OCD. Something like that scratch protection to me it's like grandma's sofa with the clear vinyl covers they kept the sofa like new. Except they had a clear vinyl covering. Defeats the purpose in my mind. I do believe that you should do what makes you happy. I just love the clean look of my scout and will try to keep it nice but I'm also sure that I'll be fine if my Scout acquires a bit of a patina along our journey.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the upright riding position is a tank protector needed?
Good question Ray. I'm thinking that when wearing a long jacket, as in Winter, the edges could conceivably brush against the base of the tank. A regular short jacket shouldn't be a problem. And maybe I'm just paranoid. HA!

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Presumably someone will make you a leather one running the leangth of the top of the tank if you're in a more decorative mood. Maybe even with fringe...

I like the leather thing, but not so sure about the fringe part! LOL!
Of course the leather will have to match the seat! :cool:

·
10,006 Posts
Good question Ray. I'm thinking that when wearing a long jacket, as in Winter, the edges could conceivably brush against the base of the tank. A regular short jacket shouldn't be a problem. And maybe I'm just paranoid. HA!

I don't think your paranoid, I wear a touring type jacket that is longer and I have already had to wax over the tank to take some brush marks off.
I'm going to hurry up any tank protector decisions with before I pinstripe the tank and fenders so they don't interfere with each other.

I liked to have never got that damned stupid warning sticker off the tank. It was one of the most stubborn I have ever taken off a tank!:mad:

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I hope I'm not duplicating another thread. I did a search and didn't find anything on what, if anything, Scout owners may have done or are thinking about doing to prevent scratching their tank.

I'm very careful when I get on and off my bike and I may be overly sensitive, but I thought I noticed just the slightest bit of scuffing where the tank meets the seat. I love the looks of the bare tank, but I really don't want scuffed paint either.

I know you've all seen tank protectors similar to the one in my attachment, but I was wondering if anyone out there has any 'innovative' ideas that would fit in with the style of a Scout. Worse case scenario, which isn't bad at all, is to simply install a generic 'stick on' protector. Like I said, not a bad solution perhaps, but somehow it seems the Scout should have something a little special. :cool:

Any ideas or comments??? Thanks in advance. View attachment 5549
There are transparent stick-on tapes made for autos to prevent scratching. Bra's, but dust etc finds it's way between the felt and paint over time will cause issues. Never really understood the reasoning behind a bra until I looked into motorcycle jackets. James Dean, Brando etc wore a traditional style jacket of the time that incorporated a large belt at the waist line with one big [email protected]# buckle that would surely bang the hell out of a tank paint job, hence the bra. I ordered that style jacket without the belt and have no problems with tank paint. Way, way, down own the road if, and when the paint looks nasty I'll repaint it, until then ride baby ride.

·
Registered
748 Posts
The OP forgot to mention he was putting clip-on handlebars on the bike.

3M makes great tape that will protect from most buckle rash.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Please don't use one like that...

There are clear protectors, essentially just a thick clear vinyl you can get and cut to size. Google is your friend: 'clear motorcycle tank protector.' Presumably someone will make you a leather one running the leangth of the top of the tank if you're in a more decorative mood. Maybe even with fringe...
Doesn't the leather protector trap dirt under and scratch the paint? I always just assumed this because of vibration, no absolute seal between the leather and the tank, kind of like those Bras for the front end of cars that were supposed to protect but absolutely destroyed the paint.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
I would just go with some clear vinyl like Meggie suggested and thanks for mentioning this. I may do it for that area also.

·
10,006 Posts
I would just go with some clear vinyl like Meggie suggested and thanks for mentioning this. I may do it for that area also.

I know it sounds strange, but a good coat of wax on the tank will do a lot more protection than you think!~

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
I know it sounds strange, but a good coat of wax on the tank will do a lot more protection than you think!~
I agree, but with a matte black finish it isn't a good idea to rub/buff wax on/wax off

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I don't think your paranoid, I wear a touring type jacket that is longer and I have already had to wax over the tank to take some brush marks off.
I'm going to hurry up any tank protector decisions with before I pinstripe the tank and fenders so they don't interfere with each other.

I liked to have never got that damned stupid warning sticker off the tank. It was one of the most stubborn I have ever taken off a tank!:mad:
If you get around to pinstripe post some photos. Always open to idea Ron.

·
10,006 Posts
I agree, but with a matte black finish it isn't a good idea to rub/buff wax on/wax off
I wasn't thinking of the matte finishes when I wrote that but your absolutely right that it would probably destroy the matte finish.

Added edit: After thinking about it a little longer, I suspect that the clear stick on plastic sheets would almost cause the same amount of damage! I probably couldn't recommend that either! :(

Wax on....
Wax off....
:rolleyes::D

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts

·
10,006 Posts
If you get around to pinstripe post some photos. Always open to idea Ron.

Be glad too Brian, kinda looking forward to seeing it myself! LOL!
Steve has pinstriped almost every bike I've owned since 1981... I think I missed striping the 2001 yellow 1800 Gold Wing?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Don't know anything about this product, but products for mat finish are out there.
Rat Wax for Flat Matte Finish Paint
Price: $12.99 - $15.99
Rat Wax™ Car Care Products are specifically designed for street rods, custom cars and motorcycles with flat, matte, satin and patina paint finishes. These products will clean, protect and maintain a matte paint finish without adding shine. The RatWax™ No Shine Car Soap cleans and protects in one easy step, while the Rat Wax™ No Shine Detailer removes dirt, dust, water spots, great, tar, fingerprints, grime, oil, & bird droppings from your car’s unique finish. The RatWax™ No Shine Detailer also leaves a clean natural look and an invisible layer of UV protection against the fade of sun, rain, and other harsh elements. Most waxes, detailers , and soaps, have either a petroleum base or gloss enhancers that contain high PH levels, which will damage these types of finishes, by changing its original sheen to a shine. Rat Wax™ also works on metal, vinyl, rubber, plastic, chrome, aluminum, and glass.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Swissvax also makes a wax for matte finishes, if you don't mind spending $265 for 6.5 ounces of product. Real glad I went with RED

1 - 20 of 24 Posts