Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out for a ride this morning and the low fuel level came on. I probably road another mile or two before stopping for gas. Filled up to the top and I ended up putting in 2.737 gallons. So from that I am guessing I had about a half gallon left before fumes LOL

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm @ 378 miles and starting to keep an eye on mileage and fuel. I had one premature low fuel light come on after going over rough road and took a long time to reset. Other day had it come on and thought it was premature again cause it reset and then realized I just come off road that had slight downward incline. It didn't take long after that to come back on. I filled up and did 110.8 miles and put in 2.819 gal.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hopefully the mileage will increase as the breakin period increases..Would be wonderful to hit around 50

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm @ 378 miles and starting to keep an eye on mileage and fuel. I had one premature low fuel light come on after going over rough road and took a long time to reset. Other day had it come on and thought it was premature again cause it reset and then realized I just come off road that had slight downward incline. It didn't take long after that to come back on. I filled up and did 110.8 miles and put in 2.819 gal.
I think I had about that many miles when I filled up, so about 120-130 miles to a whole tank then

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
About the time and distance Zen and the Motorcycle recomends a period of R&R and so a three hundred mile day certainly within reach I would guess.
Absolutely :D

·
Registered
733 Posts
Why? You got a maximum three fill-up rule or sumpin?
Nope just the journey is whats important not the destination and then there is all those things you miss if you go wizzing by all the time. In addition 28 yrs at sea taught me the race dosn't always go to the swiftest. So my idea is couple hundred miles today, couple hundred miles tomorrow and so on and so on and that entails a lot less time nursing the old Iron butt.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
I think I had about that many miles when I filled up, so about 120-130 miles to a whole tank then
In West Texas the filling stations could be further apart than that! Maybe I should carry extra fuel? :eek::eek:

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
In West Texas the filling stations could be further apart than that! Maybe I should carry extra fuel?
Even on my 5.8 Gallon Tank with the Victory watched the Fuel Real Close .. Going across West Texas think if attempt it on the Scout will definitely keep a 1 Gallon carry can handy .. if ride along with a couple of others might try to talk them into carrying one too not for them .. For me .. :)

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
image.jpg

I have a pair of Rotopax on my BMW. One for fuel and one for water, because out on the dirt you just don't know where the nearest station is, and I've been on dirt roads in North Texas where I'd didn't run into anyone for an hour. I'm sure it's even nicer in West Texas. Once the Scout delivers racks, either top or side, it's an easy but ugly solution.

·
10,006 Posts
I love the scotch and soda handwritten on the gas cans! Clever and funny! :D

I intend to have a fender mounted luggage rack somehow, I just need to find a D.O.T. quart gas can to carry on trips afar!

That should be enough to find gas.... or just have a buddy with the above rig to follow around! LOL!

·
10,006 Posts
I've been on dirt roads in North Texas where I'd didn't run into anyone for an hour. I'm sure it's even nicer in West Texas.
In East Texas you have tree's we only have dust and wind! LOL!

In Midland where I live, a lot of people live on cul de sac's!
I live on a dead end street! <VBG>

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I love the scotch and soda handwritten on the gas cans! Clever and funny! :D

I intend to have a fender mounted luggage rack somehow, I just need to find a D.O.T. quart gas can to carry on trips afar!

That should be enough to find gas.... or just have a buddy with the above rig to follow around! LOL!
lndian rep stated, fender rack coming soon. If the meaning of the word "is" was controversial, just ponder the word "soon".

·
10,006 Posts
Once I get the saddlebags in and installed, I will try to make my own rack that will blend in cosmetically with the fender and bags then have them powder-coated!

OR.... if Indian or the aftermarket guru's get off their collective asses and makes a nice one "soon" I might use it!

Now all I will have to do is find a 'Quart Size' D.O.T. gas can! :p:D

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Once I get the saddlebags in and installed, I will try to make my own rack that will blend in cosmetically with the fender and bags then have them powder-coated!

OR.... if Indian or the aftermarket guru's get off their collective asses and makes a nice one "soon" I might use it!

If your talented enough to make your own rack, I'm sure could save you some coin as cost of Scout accessories is more than double aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts

Universal Antique Tan Leather Bottle Holder and exclusive La Rosa Spare Fuel Can
$69.99
SKU:
BH02LRD
Brand:
LarosaDesign
Weight:
1.00 LBS

·
Registered
1,766 Posts

Spare Fuel bottle | eBay
Look at Amazon's assortment of fuel bottles.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Dang. I was looking for these:

Fuel and storage.

Reactions: Bones
1 - 20 of 24 Posts