Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here, from the UK and lick my scout bobber up in a little over a weeks time.

Why is the scout compares to iron 883 or even 1200 sportster? Surely this is a far superior bike? I guess they are similar sizes but that's about it ?

I'm going to a scout bobber from an iron 883 so a massive upgrade, i could of got a new softail street bob but still chose the scout.

·
Registered
201 Posts

Here's a video of Blockhead's next project, putting up Bolt/883/Scout projects head-to-head!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm new here, from the UK and lick my scout bobber up in a little over a weeks time.

Why is the scout compares to iron 883 or even 1200 sportster? Surely this is a far superior bike? I guess they are similar sizes but that's about it ?

I'm going to a scout bobber from an iron 883 so a massive upgrade, i could of got a new softail street bob but still chose the scout.
My thought would be because they are seen to target the same audience. I’d say the Scout is superior in every way.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Prior to the new 500cc and 750cc Harley Street models, the Sportster line has, for decades, typically been viewed as Harley's "beginner bike", as it was the smallest displacement and smallest in chassis dimensions. Folks likely draw the comparisons because the Scout shares these same attributes for the Indian line.

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
Interesting that those are the motorcycles I was deciding upon before going with the Scout.
I never kept up with all the makes and models out there before that.
The same thing happened when it was becoming a tossup between a Suzuki Boulevard and Yamaha Virago.

Sometime last year I saw a guy who passed by on a 48 and I thought ‘That could’ve been me!’. Never actually noticed anyone on a Bolt, only seen one parked someplace.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,380 Posts
Yeah I just did a 155 miler on Saturday on my 2019 ABS Scout. I modified a few things for comfort and it performed quite well. It was a hot 95 degree day with high humidity and the motor never gave off enough heat to be uncomfortable.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Great bikes! Your two tone 2019 Icon series is a beautiful bike. How many did they make in that two tone color? Normally the icons are manufactured in low numbers . Example my sunblaze Orange was 48 painted in that color. I went to Spirit Lake Iowa and they told me. You can email them and they can tell you per vin.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To be fair im that excited I could lick it when I pick it up 🤣

I've done 500 miles over 12 hours on my iron 883, sat at 80mph most of the way.

I'm sure the scout will feel like a dream compared to that.

When I picked the scout over the street bob I think it was the fact the scout is quicker that done it for me, plus in a line of harleys everyone wants to look at the indian

·
Registered
232 Posts
At 22,000 miles now as of yesterday , I blew a front fork seal and anyways it needed to be replaced and fork seal oil changed anyways. Im gonna upgrade because at 80 mph I get a little shake I don’t like. Word is it’s the factory fork seal springs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I own both a Scout (69) and a Sportster (1200). The weight and claimed HP is very close. The Scout is just a little bit faster but the Sportster handles better. Fit/finish and quality goes to H-D.
According to Google the 1200 sportster makes 60 hp where the scout makes 100? That's quite a difference

·
Rider
1,327 Posts
I own both a Scout (69) and a Sportster (1200). The weight and claimed HP is very close. The Scout is just a little bit faster but the Sportster handles better. Fit/finish and quality goes to H-D.
Correction: the Scout is A LOT faster, and it's not even close

·
Registered
304 Posts
The Sportster is old school classic motorcycle. I'm sure the Scout is quicker but the Sportster 1200 has plenty of power for everyday riding. My Sportster Roadster is a blast to ride, but I wouldn't want to take it on a touring ride. It does feel like riding a motorcycle from back in the 60's or 70's.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts