Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I splurged on the new bike and bought a Trask Intake, V&H Grenade exhaust, and PCV. Installed everything, and now I cannot get the bike to turn over. If it does turn over (after plenty of backfiring) It revs up to 3-4k RPM, idles for a moment, and then chokes out. All the while with plenty of black smoke coming out of the end. It's obviously running rich. I plugged the PCV into my laptop and noticed the module thinks the bike is at a constant 5% throttle and always reading voltage from the throttle. I'm not able to calibrate this, especially since the bike wont start for longer than 10 seconds.

My 1st guess is, the PCV is acting up and causing this problem. My 2nd, would be that my airbox is somehow restricting airflow and throwing off the tune, but it even does this on a 0 map. 3rd would be my guess that my exhaust is in some way not attached properly? I would highly doubt the exhaust though.

Any help would be great! Would be even better if the dynojet guys would reply ;)

I'm kicking myself for not just getting the PVCX for this bike. I am familiar with modding cars and bikes shouldn't be much different. Its definitely something with the PCV. Bike runs without it on. :(

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This just crossed my mind while fiddling with my PC software. Are the maps from Dynojet compensating for the O2 Optimizers that come with the kit? Vance and Hines Grenades come with a section to fit your O2 sensors. Did the creator of this map take the O2 sensors into account when tuning? This is going to bug me for the rest of the night now. No sleep for me! :D (Yes, I do have both O2 sensors removed from the scout and the Optimizers installed. Shouldnt they actually be called bypasses?)

·
Registered
553 Posts
So, a couple questions;
-Did you pass the break in milage before installing all this equipment?
-The VH Grenades should not be a factor but can cause you to run a tad lean as they (the predecessor to the current Grenades) did on my 1200 custom.
-Mapping, it can be all over the place. What happens without the Dynojet installed and the o2 sensores wired back in? Did you run auto tune or are you running the VH and SS tune?
-O2 sensors, removed? Did you plug the holes?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bike is broken in with about 3k miles put on it. The bike is definitely running rich. You can smell it and tell from the amount of black smoke pouring out of the back. The map I am running is for the stock air filter and vance and hines grenades. If anything, that would cause me to run more lean since I am getting more air that stock, correct? I did plug the holes. The exhaust comes with plugs. I am completely baffled by what is going on. I guess my next step this weekend is to take the exhaust back off, install the o2 sensors again, and remove the PC to see if the issue replicates itself.

·
Registered
553 Posts
You-re running the Trask, with the stock mapping? Because one is more restrictive than the other this can cause you to run lean, but not the entirety of the issue. Disconnect the positive lead from the battery and reset the ECU, run it 50 miles, and see if the issue corrects itself first.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Man, I feel for you. Opinions are like arses, everybody has one, but having said that, given that you have three variables to contend with, I'd be inclined to go back to stock pipes and stock intake, and then run the PCV with a stock map. Get the bike running correctly first.

Then add the pipes and remap again, since I believe they have a map for that? Get that running correctly. In the meantime I'd ask DJ for a map recommendation for that Trask intake and pipe combo, then put the intake on and install the recommended map.

By adding each thing one at a time, you'll be able to identify at what step things went south, so you can question whether it's the installation or the mapping.

You probably know all of this, but I couldn't help feeling bad for you on New Years Eve...

·
Registered
504 Posts
Sounds like a bad ground on the PCV, or a connection in the wrong location. Could be a bad PCV but unlikely. I had a bad ground location that caused the bike to run poorly but after talking with fuelmoto, I relocated the ground and it ran great.

BTW- you calibrate the throttle position with the engine off. The instructions should have lead you to do that first after installation.

Reactions: Lighty

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like a bad ground on the PCV, or a connection in the wrong location. Could be a bad PCV but unlikely. I had a bad ground location that caused the bike to run poorly but after talking with fuelmoto, I relocated the ground and it ran great.

BTW- you calibrate the throttle position with the engine off. The instructions should have lead you to do that first after installation.
I didnt think of checking my ground. There is a stock ground connection to the frame that I now have 3 extra connections to. I'll see if i can run the PC to the battery instead. I have only read that the PC should be tuned with the bike running and at operating temp. That may be outdated for these new FI bikes though. I'll give that a try.

·
Registered
138 Posts
None of the maps on the site would cause the bike to run so rich that black smoke would be emitting from the exhaust. Assuming the PCV is installed correctly I would next put a zero map in the unit (simply type in zeros for all cells). Still run poorly? Then remove the PCV. If it runs better after the removal then obviously there is a problem with the unit. Make sure when removing the unit that the harness did not get damaged. We have seen many units comes back with damage and if one of the injector wires shorts to ground it keeps the injector open which causes a rich condition. Let us know. Thanks.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
But this is a Scout 60 ! NOTHING goes wrong with them. They live to fight off Scout 69's and Octanes on a daily basis. They have the next generation Hyabusa engineers cowering in fear.............please............this should not be. Nothing like this has happened before, My Scout 69 is going in 15 minutes as the buyer has hot cash in his hand and I will never again but anything less than a Scout 60 in my sordid life. This forum changed me for the better and I thank all of you die - hard Scout 60 owners for your input on how horrible the Scout 69 and Octane really are as most of us would never know that if not tuned in here. Thank you all for the knowledge and bye bye Scout 69..............

:::::::::wait till the new owner runs into a Scout 60 at a red light:::::::::: LOL:::::::::::he will have a for sale sign on that bike in 15 minutes:::::::::::

1 - 10 of 10 Posts