Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m a Springfield DH 2019 and Scout Sixty 2017 owner, wife rides the Scout. I did a quick search so if something similar in the forums is on here let me know..

I’ve had serious issues with the Scout. I had Dean Speed 12 gauge pipes and high perf air filter on. The bike completely died a month ago. Wouldn’t start, died mid ride. Towed it in and the cylinders were completely gummed up with carbon which caused the bike to lose all compression. Compression valves shot. They had to redo the cylinders. That part of the bike is like new now and I’m having to break in the bike again. The dealer said it’s a mix of the pipes, air filter and bad gas. Polaris were big time studs and covered it under warranty. I got 2 into 1 pipes and new air filter now, which the dealer said will prevent future problems.

Previous to that I had the brake light wiring go bad so that got fixed. Warranty.

Previous to that it had an oil leak in the stator cover. Known problem. Warranty.

Oil leak came back so they’re fixing that again. Warranty.

Now they tell me the water pump has a leak. Warranty.

I cannot believe the amount of issues I have on a bike that I bought brand new. Has anybody else had the same problems or heard of the bike being this rickety? I love the scout and want to keep it, but I’m having some heart burn over how poorly built the motorcycle is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
There was a person that posted on here a while back that had over 100,000 on his Scout with virtually no issues. I’ve read of others with 60k plus and they just keep going. Sadly it appears you got a lemon. It happens and only you can decide to hang on to it or replace it. Most of the Scout problems I have read about have involved starters and batteries. I think I have read about two other motor issues on this forum. You got stuck with a bad bike but who knows, after this repair it could be good to go. Anyway, good luck.

·
Silver member
3,587 Posts
I too have had a very reliable Scout and my wife's has been as well. Yours has the most issues I remember hearing of. If the poplation is large enough I guess the odds can make that happen. Sounds like at least Indian is standing behind the product.

I don't think I've heard of an engine issue like that.

·
Registered
436 Posts
My 2016 Sixty is (knocking on wood, read “my head”) is also so far flawless and running strong at a bit less than 9k miles. The battery was changed early in her life, I just installed a Barnett clutch cable (also as preventive maintenance) and other than that - just pure fun! Sorry to hear about your lemon :sick:

·
Silver member
5,027 Posts
Sounds to me like you had an improper flash with the Dean's speed set-up that caused your issues. The water leak could have been a tech issue when they installed your new motor.

Take those away and it hasn't been terrible. Not perfect either, but most have had good reliability with their Scouts. The big glitch was the starter issue on the early ones. Other than that they have a pretty good track record.

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
I believe in order for it to be considered a "lemon" the same issue has to arrive 3 separate times. Just because you are experiencing multiple issues (to me seems like they were in correlation with the parts you put on the bike) does not classify as a Lemon.

Can you describe what your "break in" period is going to be like? you shouldn't baby the bike. You need to vary the rev range. Get those rpm's up toward the redline. That way the piston rings can ware in properly with the cylinder walls. You'll have cleaner heads and pistons this way.

·
Bronze member
2,190 Posts
^^ correct. Your dealer has to have attempted to “fix” the same issue three separate times to consider it a lemon bike.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,094 Posts
Yeah for having self inflicted damage to your engine you came out of this pickle smelling like a rose.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe in order for it to be considered a "lemon" the same issue has to arrive 3 separate times. Just because you are experiencing multiple issues (to me seems like they were in correlation with the parts you put on the bike) does not classify as a Lemon.

Can you describe what your "break in" period is going to be like? you shouldn't baby the bike. You need to vary the rev range. Get those rpm's up toward the redline. That way the piston rings can ware in properly with the cylinder walls. You'll have cleaner heads and pistons this way.
Break in meaning the new engine riding you do as recommended by Indian in their owners manual. I’ve been told to ride it like hell, and have been told to ride it normal. I don’t ride it like hell but definitely don’t baby it. So I do what the manual says and maybe a little harder riding.

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
I've been told plenty of times by the tech department at Indian corporate to not follow those guidelines in the owners manual. There were written by lawyers who don't know how to properly break in the motor.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been told plenty of times by the tech department at Indian corporate to not follow those guidelines in the owners manual. There were written by lawyers who don't know how to properly break in the motor.
I wouldn’t doubt it! Polaris recommending to ride like hell is lawsuits waiting to happen!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
30k+ on my 60 and the few items that came up were covered by the warranty. I'm still a happy camper.
If you have a second to write up the problems, I’d love to hear it. What year is your bike?

·
Bronze Member
2,360 Posts
If you have a second to write up the problems, I’d love to hear it. What year is your bike?
Like a lot of people I had the starter replaced. the gear selector sensor that displays what gear you are in went bad. I don't know what it is called but the sensor that shows
the kickstand is up went bad also. That's it. Bike is a 2016.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hey cloudo, thats not too bad. I had a complete cyn. replaced and it costs me 3 weeks no riding in great weather. It costs Indian over $2,000 bucks to get right. I had just bought the bike too. It is in there now ( The Shop ) to get a new starter. I did not know my $9,999.00 motorcycle would be this way. But, I will stay with them for now. But, I may go back to Kawasaki or a nice Triumph. Depends on my Sixty how long I will keep it. Hang in Dude !!!! And God Bless. Jayimpalaman

Reactions: cloudo

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey cloudo, thats not too bad. I had a complete cyn. replaced and it costs me 3 weeks no riding in great weather. It costs Indian over $2,000 bucks to get right. I had just bought the bike too. It is in there now ( The Shop ) to get a new starter. I did not know my $9,999.00 motorcycle would be this way. But, I will stay with them for now. But, I may go back to Kawasaki or a nice Triumph. Depends on my Sixty how long I will keep it. Hang in Dude !!!! And God Bless. Jayimpalaman
Dang, and you didn’t do any mods to it? Indians are great, sounds like we’ve had an unusually bad experience

1 - 20 of 37 Posts