Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven’t seen a lot of Scouts with crash bars. With pegs added you can stretch out and enjoy a long ride. So many great options on these bikes to customize. I like to use Amazon to save 33-50% over OEM and so far extremely happy with the quality​

·
Registered
56 Posts
I haven’t seen a lot of Scouts with crash bars. With pegs added you can stretch out and enjoy a long ride. So many great options on these bikes to customize. I like to use Amazon to save 33-50% over OEM and so far extremely happy with the quality​
I just received the pair I bought off eBay. I paid $91 and that included shipping. They look as good as the ones I saw at the Indian dealer. I haven't installed them yet but they are made to fit the Indian scout 60. Yea, they're made in China but the cost is half of what made in the USA is. How much does metal tube bent and painted really cost? How much labor time could there possibly be?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Here is my Scout with Aeromach crash bars with Cirius LEDs mounted to the bars
IMG_3638.JPG

·
Rider
756 Posts
I bought my crash bars at Amazon,, $127.99 bucks. The OEM bars $300.00,, . And they fit perfectly on the bike. The bars are basically a tip over bar., So maybe you won’t get the hot pipes on your leg

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just received the pair I bought off eBay. I paid $91 and that included shipping. They look as good as the ones I saw at the Indian dealer. I haven't installed them yet but they are made to fit the Indian scout 60. Yea, they're made in China but the cost is half of what made in the USA is. How much does metal tube bent and painted really cost? How much labor time could there possibly be?
I guess it depends on how much you value workings. Hopefully where ever you work doesn't decide the same thing

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have the Aeromach bars and they are 1". I"m not sure about the OEM size. The 1" is kinda hard to find pegs for if you want black.

·
Bronze member
1,758 Posts
Go on the "Twisted Throttle" website and check out the Hepco Becker engine guards for the Scouts.

Not cheap, but known for high quality accessories.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Because Chinese steel is junk and will fold like paper.

If you're just looking for something to hang pegs on, it'll do. If you want protection, get US or German made. I took an impact on the side of my Harley. The crash bars saved my leg keeping the car from contacting my leg. The bars held up and carried the impact force into the frame twisting the hell out of it.

·
Rider
705 Posts

If you're just looking for something to hang pegs on, it'll do. If you want protection, get US or German made. I took an impact on the side of my Harley. The crash bars saved my leg keeping the car from contacting my leg. The bars held up and carried the impact force into the frame twisting the hell out of it.
RIGHT ON!

·
Registered
56 Posts

I've got to disagree with you. At least with the bars that I purchased. I was concerned after reading what you posted so I put them in a vise and tested them. They are strong. But I then took them to an Indian dealer to make sure. The service guy I spoke with told me they are every bit as good as Indian oem ones. He thought, but wasn't sure, that the Indian ones were made in China. Indian oem crash bars are over $300, partly because of the brand name. Other aftermarket ones $150ish. I paid $91.I'd prefer made in USA too but I can't justify that big of a price difference. I get that the worker should make a decent living but it's bending a tube for about 30 seconds not heart surgery.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I've got to disagree with you. At least with the bars that I purchased. I was concerned after reading what you posted so I put them in a vise and tested them. They are strong. But I then took them to an Indian dealer to make sure. The service guy I spoke with told me they are every bit as good as Indian oem ones. He thought, but wasn't sure, that the Indian ones were made in China. Indian oem crash bars are over $300, partly because of the brand name. Other aftermarket ones $150ish. I paid $91.I'd prefer made in USA too but I can't justify that big of a price difference. I get that the worker should make a decent living but it's bending a tube for about 30 seconds not heart surgery.
Good deal then. A lot of shady steel has been coming out of China for a long time. I've seen it twist and tear on heavy equipment too much to trust it. Once saw a piece of wood embed itself into a dozer blade. Caterpillar was using a lot of that crap.

Do a search for bridge collapses made with it, it's pretty shocking.

Glad you got a deal on some good stuff.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good deal then. A lot of shady steel has been coming out of China for a long time. I've seen it twist and tear on heavy equipment too much to trust it. Once saw a piece of wood embed itself into a dozer blade. Caterpillar was using a lot of that crap.

Do a search for bridge collapses made with it, it's pretty shocking.

Glad you got a deal on some good stuff.
I agree that there has been some low quality steel from China. Unfortunately there are unscrupulous people who will use this stuff even though it doesn't meet spec or code to save $. I've seen stainless steel from China rust. As long as it meets spec it's going to be decent, you just need to be careful.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts