Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried looking through the forums to see if anyone else had this issue but couldn’t find anything. I was wondering if anyone else has had an issue with the bike shutting of when the tank is about 1/4 full and during heavy braking. It wont even stumble for a few seconds it is almost an immediate shutdown. Ive found out that is occurs fairly consistently after about a 80-90 miles of riding. Anything after that if i hit the brakes fairly hard the bike will shutdown from what i would assume is all the fuel going to the front of the tank. Almost got myself run over a few times because of this.

Also I’ve reported this to my dealer and directly to Polaris. The dealer said there was nothing i could do about it and Polaris gave me a case file number. It’s been about 3 months since i called them about it and I’ve heard nothing back. You would think considering this is a safety issue they would be a little concerned.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Nannerpuss

They had issue with the pick-up tube a couple years ago, manifested itself as running out of gas at 80-90 miles. The tube is in the back, so be braking hard will make it worse.

I assume it starts right back up?
Yes it starts right back up after cycling the switch. If I don’t it cranks for a little bit. I’ve done a little over a hundred miles on a tank. Only shuts off when braking hard.

Is the tube something I should just check myself or do you think the dealer will actually take a look?

· Founding member / platinum
9,888 Posts
Yes it starts right back up after cycling the switch. If I don’t it cranks for a little bit. I’ve done a little over a hundred miles on a tank. Only shuts off when braking hard.

Is the tube something I should just check myself or do you think the dealer will actually take a look?

It is a service job, the tank has to come off and the bottom of the tank is removed to re-seat the pickup tube.

But, it sounds like maybe.... since you mentioned that you had to recycle the ignition switch for it to come back.
There is a recall on the tilt sensor to be replaced on some Scouts, and when it quits, recycling the switch is classic to the symptom.
Hint..... keep the tank full just in case! :rolleyes::)

· Founding member / Distinguished
5,919 Posts

Here is an entire thread on the topic - not specifically about cutting off while braking hard, but the sub-standard design of the pickup mechanism and location.

http://www.indianmotorcycles.net/threads/2016-scout-out-of-gas-at-118-miles.210892/

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a recall on the tilt sensor to be replaced on some Scouts, and when it quits, recycling the switch is classic to the symptom.
Hint..... keep the tank full just in case! :rolleyes::)
It’s for this reason that I fill up every 80 miles!

I’ll ask dealer about the tilt sensor. This is a 2017 model though. I feel like they would have mentioned it. Actually maybe not considering they never mentioned the starter issue!

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

· Founding member / Distinguished
5,919 Posts
I’ll check this out and also ask my dealer about it. If it seems like they won’t do anything I’ll just have to pull the tank...again. Wish I had asked before I replaced the air box. Thank you for you help!
I missed the part about replacing the airbox. If the tank was previously removed by the dealership, I am almost certain that's the issue. The original pickup tube issues came up after Indian replaced a bunch of tanks with bubbling paint on the '15s. Easy, fast fix.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I missed the part about replacing the airbox. If the tank was previously removed by the dealership, I am almost certain that's the issue. The original pickup tube issues came up after Indian replaced a bunch of tanks with bubbling paint on the '15s. Easy, fast fix.
Should’ve led with noting that this is a 2017 scout. I personally replaced the stock air box with the Indian performance one.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I brought it in to the dealer for them to check an oil leak it had developed and also had them check out the tank issue.

Apparently they’ve never heard of any issue with a pickup tube and neither has Polaris. They also told me they could not replicate the shutting down. No idea where the fuel level was at the time they tested it though. So when I pick it up I’ll have to run it low again and record it to send in to Polaris.

· Registered
453 Posts
I brought it in to the dealer for them to check an oil leak it had developed and also had them check out the tank issue.

Apparently they’ve never heard of any issue with a pickup tube and neither has Polaris. They also told me they could not replicate the shutting down. No idea where the fuel level was at the time they tested it though. So when I pick it up I’ll have to run it low again and record it to send in to Polaris.
Hey out of curiosity what year is your scout? Also, what was leaking for oil?

· Registered
453 Posts
2017. Leaking out of the stator cover harness plug. Only seemed to do it when it went from like 60 to 25 out at night. Left a little puddle. They said if it continues they would have to replace the stator cover and the stator itself.
So their plan is to see if the leak fixes itself? I’d ask them to go ahead and replace it. Be scared it would come back next time it got cold.

· Registered
357 Posts
Shocking, an Indian dealer has "never heard" of a problem, and "can't replicate it". Good luck getting Polaris to help.

The pickup is in the wrong place. It's known bikes came from the factory with them installed incorrectly, and dealers are notorious for not putting them in properly either.
Pull tank, flip it over on a towel, remove the fuel pump flange. The pump assembly on the flange connects to the pickup screen on a flexible hose. It's fiddly, but you need to ensure the screen is fully seated into the lowest style-line on the tank. There are two little baffles on either side designed to hold it in place. It may be sitting on top of these little baffles, instead of down between them. You have to fish the screen in with your fingers, and just by feel slide it around a bit. You should be able to feel it drop into it's seat. Carefully pull your fingers out between the tank and pump flange, then rebolt the flange up.

The baffles are there precisely to hold a little pocket of gas right around the pickup, so it won't cut out on decel as fuel sloshes around.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So their plan is to see if the leak fixes itself? I’d ask them to go ahead and replace it. Be scared it would come back next time it got cold.
I would but I’d also like to be able to put a decent amount of miles on this bike before the warranty runs out to make sure I don’t have any other bigger issues.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Shocking, an Indian dealer has "never heard" of a problem, and "can't replicate it". Good luck getting Polaris to help.

The pickup is in the wrong place. It's known bikes came from the factory with them installed incorrectly, and dealers are notorious for not putting them in properly either.
Pull tank, flip it over on a towel, remove the fuel pump flange. The pump assembly on the flange connects to the pickup screen on a flexible hose. It's fiddly, but you need to ensure the screen is fully seated into the lowest style-line on the tank. There are two little baffles on either side designed to hold it in place. It may be sitting on top of these little baffles, instead of down between them. You have to fish the screen in with your fingers, and just by feel slide it around a bit. You should be able to feel it drop into it's seat. Carefully pull your fingers out between the tank and pump flange, then rebolt the flange up.

The baffles are there precisely to hold a little pocket of gas right around the pickup, so it won't cut out on decel as fuel sloshes around.
Well since I got it back from the dealer after they took it all apart and found nothing wrong with it I haven’t been able to get it to shut down. So more than likely they actually put it together correctly and fixed it. But I will save your information in case it happens again. Thanks!

· Registered
2 Posts
2017. Leaking out of the stator cover harness plug. Only seemed to do it when it went from like 60 to 25 out at night. Left a little puddle. They said if it continues they would have to replace the stator cover and the stator itself.
2017 Scout also with oil leak from stator cover. First appeared in cold weather < 25F. At the dealer now getting it replaced.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.