Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always read that the Scout seat is painful on rides longer than an hour or so.

Just wanted to mention that I rode 300 miles yesterday on an OG Scout seat and I had no pain or discomfort, other than my butt falling asleep a little toward the end (which I would think happens on any bike).

The Scout is a 2016. I am 5'11" and roughly 220 lbs.

Was this issue just overblown? Thoughts?

·
Registered
70 Posts
That narrative pertains to the Scout Bobber because of the smaller seat and lower rear suspension travel (stiffer).

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I'm quite sure it's been an oft mentioned complaint...from before the bobber was even introduced.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I imagine it is different for different people but I am 5' 9" and weigh 220. (64 years old as well.) I get a hot but on the OEM seat in less than a half hour and my but is really sore in an hour. I have a Corbin which I can ride comfortably for an hour and with my Air Hawk on the Corbin I can go all day.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting. Forgot to mention that I am 48 for whatever that is worth by comparison.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I've always read that the Scout seat is painful on rides longer than an hour or so.
Just wanted to mention that I rode 300 miles yesterday on an OG Scout seat and I had no pain or discomfort, other than my butt falling asleep a little toward the end (which I would think happens on any bike).
Not overblown. If you're comfy you're one of the lucky ones. That said, your butt falling asleep might be just the beginning.

·
Registered
582 Posts

Is the issue overblown? Depends on your butt. Some have built in padding in the right spots, but seems many of us don't. Stock seat sucks for many people. Some just think that's the way it's supposed to be, until they put a new seat on and see the difference. If you like your factory seat, great. Many of us think they suck and gladly replaced them.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the issue overblown? Depends on your butt. Some have built in padding in the right spots, but seems many of us don't. Stock seat sucks for many people. Some just think that's the way it's supposed to be, until they put a new seat on and see the difference. If you like your factory seat, great. Many of us think they suck and gladly replaced them.
I don’t like or dislike. I’m just saying it didn’t hurt after 300 miles straight. Thought I would discuss. Not trying to offend anyone.

·
Bronze member
1,158 Posts
Still rockin' the stock seat without a windscreen here but I'm 25 and 170 lbs. Have done eight 700+ km days in a row on it, doing another ~5000 km 1 week road trip down to California on it in a couple of weeks. My father at 55 / ~250 lbs also happily rides a Scout with the stock seat and no windscreen, also 700+ km days. The divide in opinion regarding the Scout seat usually comes down to what somebody is used to riding, if you're coming from a life of riding Road Kings or Goldwings or even Softails you're going to find it uncomfortable, if you're coming from riding dirtbikes and choppers like my father and I it seems luxurious.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree with this. It depends on what you rode before.
I have had 2 Sportsters, from 1990 until now and the oem seats on thát bikes really suck!! My first ride on them took 30 miles, I jumped off and ordered a real saddle[arghh][arghh].
I am 51 years old, 5’5’’ and 202Ibs and I can ride almost whole day on the oem Scout seat. After 1hr I have get a little sleepy feeling in the but, I stretch my legs for 5-10 minutes at a gas station and then I can go on for another 2hrs. I stop for coffee or beer and repeat for another 2 hrs.
I might be lucky?!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rode with the stock seat for 8k miles. Added the driver backrest and had that installed for 2k miles. Up until recently I thought the stock seat felt meh - could be better, could be worse. I think the padding underneath the leather became compressed and is no longer comfortable. The backrest was a nice addition. Not so much for comfort, but stability. I didn’t feel the need to grip the handlebars as tight.

Replaced stock seat w/backrest with a Mustang seat w/backrest. Wowza. Now I know what a comfortable seat feels like. The Mustang backrest is highly adjustable (unlike Indian) and provides a great deal of support.

If anyone wants to purchase a used OEM seat, backrest w/mounting bracket, passenger touring seat and pad (no mount), please DM me.

·
Registered
587 Posts

MBrownp1,

Well for me the stock seat caused issues about one hour into a trip, but to answer was it over blown, yes it could have been by some nay Sayers.

As far as mentioning age, height and weight, again we all seem to get to our height with different measurements.
I am of average height, over weight, but I have short legs in comparison to my torso.....so my setup might not work for you.
Losing some weight would surely help me with those hot spots, but a Corbin helped even more, although it lightened the pocket book.

I think our comfort is based on several factors....handle bars setup, maybe a reduced reach setup, correct shock setup, floor boards, etc.
Another factor is the age of the bike. I understand the newer models have different shocks installed (progressive). I have a 2017 sixty for reference...

I know others have had the stock seat redone too.

Kudos to you, if the stock seat works for you.

Ride more.

4T

·
Registered
260 Posts
I found out, if you adjust every now and then should be fine. I even sat far back where the seat rises... Road 3hrs none stop, except a few lights.
Cannot go to far fast in Hawaii... I felt fine after... Adjust your rear, move the legs... Try a 17 hour non stop flight... Moving is a must.. lol...
Hope that helped... Aloha to All...

·
Registered
106 Posts
going to change mine out to a Laam seat.....Seth used to work a russell day long of which i have 2 seats....great seats but not cheap.....he has branched out on his own for some time now and makes roughly the same seat as a RDL. at about 1/2 the cost...nothing against the RDL as it is a great product but I know of riders who have gone with Seth and say it is very comparable.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a stock seat and have about 5000 miles of butt time. The stock seat after broken in feels a little better, but soon I am switching to a Corbin solo seat. Corbin has been doing seats for a long time and they look wider, softer and more plush. I don't think anyone could go wrong with a Corbin. They are Lockable. They make them with a heated seat switch as well for those of you who don't mind riding in the winter months. FYI, they will send you swatches so you can get the right color leather before ordering.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The bottom line is it would be impossible to design a stock motorcycle seat that everyone felt comfortable on, so they pick a certain size that they think will fit most riders. I've had some bikes with seats that were pretty comfortable, and others that were pure torture. I've had 3 Corbin seats (with back rests) so far and have found that after break in they are reasonably comfortable for long rides. My latest Corbin, on the Scout, is not fully broken in yet and is only really comfortable for about an hour, then it's time to get gas or a cold drink and after about 15 minutes I'm good for another hour. I expect this to improve with more miles on the seat. I have a Mustang seat on my Valkyrie and that seems to be good for a couple hundred miles and with an Air Hawk it's good for 6 or 7 hours of riding.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts