Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Rider
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I can ask the dealer, and I probably will, but I am interested in the real world observations of other Scout owners.

When I am constantly moving, the temp gauge reads about 175 or so. The weather is getting warmer and when sitting at a light it climbs to about 205 and the fan kicks in.

So, is this a normal temperature range for other scout owners? Does the Scout literature make any comments about operating temperature ranges?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,821 Posts
I get the same. Perfectly normal with water cooled bikes I've owned...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
1,375 Posts
Mine runs at 176-177 F down the road. In traffic it may get to 198-200 F. If I just sit at Idle for a long time. I asked Fuel Moto if they could make my fan come on sooner than OEM setting , when I got my 1st tune from them. I live in a Hot/ humid climate during summer. My fan comes on at 192 F < > 2 F.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Did a quick scan of the S60 owners manual and didn't spot any temp range. Your numbers match what I've seen. I hit those highs around the peak of the Summer heat. I added Stage 1 slip-ons and air intake this Spring though, so I'm curious to see if there is any difference. The slip-ons seem to run a lot cooler, so I'm curious if that will extend to the engine temp as well.

·
Silver member
4,497 Posts
Don't expect any difference in engine temps. Regardless of exhaust or air intake, the thermostat opens at the exact same temperature. All you can change I guess is when the fan comes on. Remember, the engine needs to be warm/hot to run efficiently.

(if those slipons are freeer flowing they may reduce the amount of heat coming up fromt he right side of the bike, and an air intake typically does nothing in regards to heat)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Don't expect any difference in engine temps. Regardless of exhaust or air intake, the thermostat opens at the exact same temperature. All you can change I guess is when the fan comes on. Remember, the engine needs to be warm/hot to run efficiently.

(if those slipons are freeer flowing they may reduce the amount of heat coming up fromt he right side of the bike, and an air intake typically does nothing in regards to heat)
Right. The intake isn't going to make a lick of difference. It's pre-combustion. I was thinking in terms of the freer flowing slip-ons. They are already noticeably cooler than the stock exhaust, so I was thinking there could be a small reduction in engine temp if they are pushing the heat out faster. I'm not a mechanical engineer, so that is just an uneducated guess.

·
Silver member
4,497 Posts
Pretty sure the total radiated heat reduces with a freer flowing exhaust and a cat delete. But the engine coolant temp will hardly change imho. it's not like the stock exhaust is nearly choking the engine...

·
Silver member
3,263 Posts
I guess I don't understand these sorts of threads (and there have been others in the past).

Polaris engineers designed the cooling system around parameters that work. The fan kicks in when it should. If it would be better for it to kick in at a lower temperature, it would.

Don't over think it. Get on the bike and ride.

OK, that felt good. Carry on.

·
Bronze member
1,639 Posts
I did a little sleuthing and think I found the temperature rating for the Polaris thermostat used in the Scout.
82 C or 180 F.

Apparently a "double acting" type, so 2 spring-loaded openings instead of only one. Allows for better flow control and lower temperature at the radiator, as I understand it.
I'm only familiar with conventional automobile thermostats, which BTW typically operate at this same temperature if any of you didn't know already. This is my first 'liquid' motorcycle so I'm learning something.

Oh, was going to say, someone had their Scout overheat years ago. Warning light and all, 237 F as I recalled (and confirmed after found in a message search).
Mine does like most others, 174 F is most common temp while at speed on comfortably warm day. 195 or so, on up to about 208 F been seen while stopped.

·
Registered
163 Posts

I heard the cat is in one of the original slip ons. I imagine that’s responsible for quite bit of the heat come off the pipe.

I just put Crusher Mavericks on mine, but haven’t had a chance to ride the bike since I put them on. That said, I haven’t noticed any heat with the stock pipes.

·
Rider
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I heard the cat is in one of the original slip ons. I imagine that’s responsible for quite bit of the heat come off the pipe.

I just put Crusher Mavericks on mine, but haven’t had a chance to ride the bike since I put them on. That said, I haven’t noticed any heat with the stock pipes.
After you have done some riding with the Crusher Mavericks please post your thoughts. Also, are they "seriously annoyed neighbors"? Or just more ballsy loud?

They are on my to do list in September when my warranty expires. I had put a Jardine on my S40 and the neighbors were a little unhappy. And it was pretty loud.

·
Registered
163 Posts
After you have done some riding with the Crusher Mavericks please post your thoughts. Also, are they "seriously annoyed neighbors"? Or just more ballsy loud?

They are on my to do list in September when my warranty expires. I had put a Jardine on my S40 and the neighbors were a little unhappy. And it was pretty loud.
They’re considerably louder than stock, but they’re not crazy loud. I don’t think you’d annoy anyone as long you’re not hanging out in the garage rapping on them.

Also, pretty sure you won’t void the warranty by adding slip on pipes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts