Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a 2015 Scout with a little over 1000 miles on it. I finally got a chance to open it up in 2nd dear. At approx 7100 rpms it felt like a rev limiter kicked in.? Seems to have been well maintained. Starts great runs great any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

·
Silver member
6,132 Posts
Yeah... shift before you get to 7100 rpm, haha…

I believe the manual indicates the rev limit is 8300 rpm, but confirm that with your owners manual. If you don't have one you can download one off internet easily.

Although doesn’t mention the RPMs below – here is the manuals recommended shift points.
Granted I think we all push the limits somewhat to see what the bike is capable of. :D

Text Font Line Number

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Running a bike that high might offer some sonic satisfaction, but the peak torque is well below that RPM -- in fact, it hits peak around 3,200 and stays pretty stable up through about 6,000. RPM. You are not really pulling faster at the RPM; it just feels like you are since HP is a measure of an engine's ability to maintain an RPM under load (speed). A rev limiter is not some indication that the engine has reached its peak of performance; it is a safety measure to keep someone from blowing it up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah... shift before you get to 7100 rpm, haha…

I believe the manual indicates the rev limit is 8300 rpm, but confirm that with your owners manual. If you don't have one you can download one off internet easily.

Although doesn’t mention the RPMs below – here is the manuals recommended shift points.
Granted I think we all push the limits somewhat to see what the bike is capable of. :D

View attachment 418578

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
You mentioned that you bought the bike used, could it have computer chip installed that could be interfering with the OEM settings?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks
That makes sense. In my impatience, I overthink things. I'll see what up when I put it on the dyno at work. Customers bikes always go first. It may be weeks before I can get in there.
I'll post a follow up, when I do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts