Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know about some of the issues reported with the unit being too low and vulnerable under the bike. I have now experienced the same issue. Found at a pre-ride inspection that a grey lead with two wires in it has rubbed through and broken. Not sure what the wires run. Appreciate any help.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
I know about some of the issues reported with the unit being too low and vulnerable under the bike. I have now experienced the same issue. Found at a pre-ride inspection that a grey lead with two wires in it has rubbed through and broken. Not sure what the wires run. Appreciate any help.
If your not wanting to replace,, with a good splice, the unit will operate as good as new.
By good splice, I mean solder, and shrink wrap.
I'd then add a flexible conduit sleeve to assure it won't happen again..
Before all that however,, locate what is actually rubbing on the wires, that caused this, and rectify (no pun intended) that first.
Mine has zero signs of any kind of wear or damage...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Hatt for your clear and helpful advice. Will follow it. Turns out the problem was created due to the wiring being held up with a cable tie which broke therefore not properly harnessed. Then the wiring hung down loose and the grey lead rubbed against the rear tire and eventually broke. Could have been severe other damage. I found I had no rear brake light through operation of the foot brake! Dealer suggested it could be an ABS sensor but ABS light does appear when starting and moving off. Their advice was replace the lot! Suggest all 2015/2016 Scout owners check the wiring is secured properly and insulated well under the bike. No brake light can have serious consequences! Thanks again for your help.
Cheers Tonto x

1 - 3 of 3 Posts