Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys has anyone considered placing a radiator guard on their Scout ?

Seems a good modification for a reasonable cost with potentially benefits .

Found this crowd here in Oz makes a nice radiator guard for quite a few bikes

Rad Guard

Worthwhile ? Pros and cons on using a Radiator Guard ?

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
A radiator guard would be useful for rocks and other junk on the roads. But what I need is a deer guard. The deers are so overpopulated in Alabama , it's dangerous even in the daylight. I had a close call Friday when a whole family of them jumped out in front of me. I think I need a brush guard.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Might be a good idea to add one .. There wouldn't be a market for it if people were not buying them ..

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
A radiator guard would be useful for rocks and other junk on the roads. But what I need is a deer guard. The deers are so overpopulated in Alabama , it's dangerous even in the daylight. I had a close call Friday when a whole family of them jumped out in front of me. I think I need a brush guard.
...same problem here in Middle Tennessee with deer. I live on a farm in the country and have a herd of deer (at least 12 on the last count) roaming around my acreage. My field hands harvest several each year, but they keep their population up and try to hit anything that moves on our roads.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Im sure if they prove necessary they will show up. Just worrying eventually you will start needing a guard guard, then a guard guard monitor, then an auxiliary charging sytem for the monitor. Then to be safe you put a guard on that and on and on and by this time you might as well have bought the Harley.

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
One night back in the 80's my cousin was riding his Yamaha 650 from the cotton mill where he worked the 2nd shift, got off at 10pm. The road to his home is a two lane blacktop that goes through hills and valleys and small family farms. He told me he was going 65 mph when he T-boned that cow. The county Sheriff put on the report than my cousin flew 50 feet after the impact with cow. The cow died, so did the Yamaha, but cousin was still standing. The Sheriff gave him a ride home and he was at work by 2pm the next day. He is one tough dude. They don't make guards for fat cows as I know of.
"I live in the backwoods, you see. A woman and the kids, and the dogs and me. I got a shotgun a rifle and a 4-wheel drive. And a country boy can survive, country folks can survive." Hank Williams Jr.

·
Founding member
1,763 Posts
What I wonder is if you could get away with removing the front fender like the Wall of Death custom with one of these. I do love that no front fender look.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Im sure if they prove necessary they will show up. Just worrying eventually you will start needing a guard guard, then a guard guard monitor, then an auxiliary charging sytem for the monitor. Then to be safe you put a guard on that and on and on and by this time you might as well have bought the Harley.
I've had a piece of shrapnel go through my R6 radiator like a hot knife through buttah, I purchased a guard after the replacement. But I never had one on any other bike and will not put one on the scout. No way.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
You need more Hunters. Deer is tasty vittles

·
Registered
31 Posts
WillShootem, thanks for the reply! I like your idea! I’ve been looking at the solutions others have implemented to preserve the radiator and it looks like a mud flap of some sort is very helpful also. Captain Itch has one but I’d like mine to be less noticeable and follow the lines of the fender. I’m going to try a piece of black Kydex, heat molded to the bottom inside of the front fender and then about four square inches of powerful heavy double sided tape. It’s remarkable that Indian hasn’t come up with a solution to this obvious problem, even if it’s just to sell it to us. My bike only has 300 miles on it and I can already see the problem occurring. It really pisses me off to have noticeable damage to a brand new bike that has never even seen the highway.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts