Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Yup .... I was advised by a DynoJet tech that some places will be a tight fit to make connections. I know I won't be the first one to have a PCV installed. With no real gains to be had in the intake area, for the time being, I'll just stick to the stage 1 slip-ons/calibration card. Now, when a equal length/non cat equipped lower 2-1 comes out, my little brain might be thinking :)

Reactions: Trapper

·
Registered
701 Posts
Doesn't the Scout have an ECU? It seems the power commander is a waste, when one could just get the ECU re-calibrated...
Re-calibration only takes the fuel settings to the original lean EPA induced settings, not necessarily the best for performance.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Doesn't the Scout have an ECU? It seems the power commander is a waste, when one could just get the ECU re-calibrated...
The PCV is a piggy back system, meaning it works with your factory ECU and not replace it. It can alter your factory ECU settings without permanently changing them. When removed, your ECU is as stock. And I have no doubt that the video makes install look much easier than it really is :(

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I want this for my bike for the sake of tuning. For $400 it should yield some gains.
For optimum performance, you'll need it tuned at an authorized DynoJet tuner. These usually run in the $400 area. I've used tuning devices on every FI bike I've owned. Unless I find a decent performance intake down the road (not a simple K&N filter), I'll hold off. The real gains come from a combo of intake/exhaust. The stage 1 download should work just fine for the majority of aftermarket exhausts.

Reactions: 2506

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yea for now I'm going to get the stage 1 tune from the dealer, a K&N when it becomes available, and gut my stock cans. Eventually I'll get a Power Commander with a full system and have it all dyno tuned. I'm not in a huge hurry... Well sort of :)

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts
I want to know if fiddling with "stock" things leads to a voided warranty - since I have a 5 year warranty that is a big deal.

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts
If the dealer installs your power commander it's not going to void the warranty.
When I bought my Triumph in 2013 the dealership told me and made me sign a piece of paper that I understood the use of a power commander and after market pipes, even though dealer installed voided my warranty. :{

·
Registered
342 Posts
When I bought my Triumph in 2013 the dealership told me and made me sign a piece of paper that I understood the use of a power commander and after market pipes, even though dealer installed voided my warranty. :{
Under the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act of 1975, 15 USC, 2302 and Clean Air Act 42 of USA code 7541, you have rights.

This legislation basically states that:

In order for a dealer/manufacturer to deny a warranty on a claimed part, they must PROVE that the part YOU installed/had installed DIRECTLY caused the failure of the part on which you’re claiming the warranty.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Under the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act of 1975, 15 USC, 2302 and Clean Air Act 42 of USA code 7541, you have rights.

This legislation basically states that:

In order for a dealer/manufacturer to deny a warranty on a claimed part, they must PROVE that the part YOU installed/had installed DIRECTLY caused the failure of the part on which you’re claiming the warranty.
Exactly

·
Registered
430 Posts
What is the difference between the power commander and the autotune? Do you need both?

·
Registered
101 Posts
What is the difference between the power commander and the autotune? Do you need both?
Power Cmmander Five PCV is used to program the various mapping for your Fuel/timing on your motorcycle/vehicle via a computer "laptop" running Windows O/S "Operating System". You can change your fuel input at various RPM range or your timing using the Dynojet application. You can create maps and save the changes. The Auto-tune or so call WB02-sensor box is connected to the PCV via a buss cable. The WB02 box has connections to a O2 sensor that is mounted on your exhaust pipes via a bung that is welded to the pipe. The information coming off the O2 sensor is sent to the WB02 box and it automatically adjust your A/F for they type of riding that you do. After a few miles, lets say 50 miles of riding when you hook up your computer to your PCV you will start to see trim settings being set that the auto tune did, you can accept these settings and save them or you can clear out these settings when you change the exhaust or air filter system or cam.

here are couple of examples of what I'm talking about
PCV application on my mac computer running in Boot-camp mode since I have Mac IOS and Windows O/S and I can switch between both operating systems. Here I am adjusting my A/F on my Honda Grom

It is also wise to install a A/F gauge to monitor your A/F mixture; I found best HP gains my A/F mixture is about 13.2-13.6 range

This is what both boxes look like under my Grom seat and that is why I replaced the OEM battery with a Lipo battery since it is smaller/lighter and gave me room to add the PCV and WB02 sensor

Warning your main concern when installing both the PCV and WB02 sensor is that you have a good solid +12 source, a good gnd connection and also have the termination plug on the last device on the Buss or else you will have strange things happening to your readings.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Power Cmmander Five PCV is used to program the various mapping for your Fuel/timing on your motorcycle/vehicle via a computer "laptop" running Windows O/S "Operating System". You can change your fuel input at various RPM range or your timing using the Dynojet application. You can create maps and save the changes. The Auto-tune or so call WB02-sensor box is connected to the PCV via a buss cable. The WB02 box has connections to a O2 sensor that is mounted on your exhaust pipes via a bung that is welded to the pipe. The information coming off the O2 sensor is sent to the WB02 box and it automatically adjust your A/F for they type of riding that you do. After a few miles, lets say 50 miles of riding when you hook up your computer to your PCV you will start to see trim settings being set that the auto tune did, you can accept these settings and save them or you can clear out these settings when you change the exhaust or air filter system or cam.

here are couple of examples of what I'm talking about
PCV application on my mac computer running in Boot-camp mode since I have Mac IOS and Windows O/S and I can switch between both operating systems. Here I am adjusting my A/F on my Honda Grom

It is also wise to install a A/F gauge to monitor your A/F mixture; I found best HP gains my A/F mixture is about 13.2-13.6 range

This is what both boxes look like under my Grom seat and that is why I replaced the OEM battery with a Lipo battery since it is smaller/lighter and gave me room to add the PCV and WB02 sensor

Warning your main concern when installing both the PCV and WB02 sensor is that you have a good solid +12 source, a good gnd connection and also have the termination plug on the last device on the Buss or else you will have strange things happening to your readings.
Outstanding information. Thank you very much for the breakdown. It is interesting that the auto-tune function is not included in the PCV. I would think that would be one of the options included. They just get you comin and goin I guess.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts