Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you like to see for the next-gen Scout, or a refresh?

I think it's a really interesting topic that deserves discussion, as the Scout has been the revolutionary (pun INTENDED) entry-level cruiser for the past 6 years. With the new Sportster architecture that leadership is legitimately challenged; not only the S with the "cafe-style" seat and flat-track exhaust, but the other to-be-announced versions within the same product line more in line with the current Sportster. I think IMC is probably in the midst of re-prioritizing investment to try and put a damper on a potential HD revitalization. At a minimum, IMC needs to add more tech. I hear from my dealer that IMC will add the digital dash from the Chief to the Scout as an optional upgrade. CC would be great.

This is not meant to be a rebuttal to the previous thread. I think there was some good discussion about the next-gen Scout that deserves to continue. I understand the previous OP's request to close the thread and will report any posts insulting/criticizing them. Be civil.

·
Registered
186 Posts
For me, a larger fuel tank. I like to take longer trips on mine and hate making my buddies stop more often for my fill ups alone. I know that people will respond by saying that they need a break every hour and a half anyway but I would prefer to take some of those breaks somewhere other than a gas station.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Might as well close this thread too while your still ahead. It’s a discussion that has already occurred ad nauseam on this forum.

·
Bronze member
2,801 Posts
Oh man, "ad nauseam" ... Bunch of whinning, bitching and moaning ??
And I've missed all of it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For me, a larger fuel tank. I like to take longer trips on mine and hate making my buddies stop more often for my fill ups alone. I know that people will respond by saying that they need a break every hour and a half anyway but I would prefer to take some of those breaks somewhere other than a gas station.
As long as it doesn't change the looks of the bike! I think they could find a little more space with the current a-surface. Maybe even extend the tank into elements of the frame. Would take some creativity, for sure.

Might as well close this thread too while your still ahead. It’s a discussion that has already occurred ad nauseam on this forum.
And oftentimes discouraged by seasoned bikers. The landscape is changing. Time for some new opinions.

·
Registered
452 Posts
And oftentimes discouraged by seasoned bikers. The landscape is changing. Time for some new opinions.
Sounds like a lengthy version of OK boomer lol. Ironically, I’m nowhere close to that age demographic nor am I a seasoned biker with any particular brand loyalty. I don’t think your looking for new opinions, just ones that support your own, but don’t worry you can apparently close the thread if you don’t like what you hear.

Here is my opinion. The Scout line up is perfectly fine as it is as long as the price point doesn’t rise significantly.

·
Bronze member
2,801 Posts
Stick the FTR engine in the Scout, maybe fancy-up a side exhaust system, add in some other "cool stuff", call it a Scout XL, Scout Max, Scout +, Scout Brave, Scout Arrow,
Tomahawk, Scout O' Saurus, Scoutster,
Offer a bobber version - Scout-Ka-Bob

·
Registered
105 Posts
I like the idea of the FTR engine in the Scout. Offer a version with the new display, cruise control, and better rear suspension (at least on the Bobber), and manage the price but keep the 60 version simple and cheap to draw in new riders (but maybe reflash them from the factory to pickup that extra top end power hidden in there).

·
Registered
452 Posts
Stick the FTR engine in the Scout, maybe fancy-up a side exhaust system, add in some other "cool stuff", call it a Scout XL, Scout Max, Scout +, Scout Brave, Scout Arrow,
I don’t like any of those names. I’m leaning towards Super Scout Limited R Carbon or SSLRC for an acronym that just rolls off the tongue.

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,670 Posts
Remember they patented the name Scout Rouge

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,801 Posts
Remember they patented the name Scout Rouge
Rouge..? As in women's makeup ?
@IMARIDER, you're a prime example of what happens when you run too long on a blown head gasket.. Are you noticing more frequent coolant loss ?

Maybe you meant "Rogue".. Also maybe you need a compression check..

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like a lengthy version of OK boomer lol. Ironically, I’m nowhere close to that age demographic nor am I a seasoned biker with any particular brand loyalty. I don’t think your looking for new opinions, just ones that support your own, but don’t worry you can apparently close the thread if you don’t like what you hear.

Here is my opinion. The Scout line up is perfectly fine as it is as long as the price point doesn’t rise significantly.
Lol yeah absolutely! I just see a lot of gatekeeping in motorcycling. It's not an inviting community at all. Opinions, holier-than-though attitude, butthurt, etc. Not just in forums but especially group rides. And cruiser riders wonder why there aren't many young guys or women in this dying breed. So yeah, consider it an invitation to speak freely about whatever the scout could be. It's already a forward-thinking platform, one that's challenged by the 'ol-horse HD rearing the new Sportster.

The entry price for the scout is certainly important. It drew me, personally, to the brand and the bike.

Anyone know what're the differences between the engines? Seems like there's a lot of complexity in the IMC range of liquid cooled motors. The FTR, powerplus and scout motors all seem quite different. It'd be important to have a good modular base to maintain the OPP while still having enough guts on the high range to compete with the Sportster

·
Bronze member
2019 FTR 1200
1,303 Posts
Lol yeah absolutely! I just see a lot of gatekeeping in motorcycling. It's not an inviting community at all. Opinions, holier-than-though attitude, butthurt, etc. Not just in forums but especially group rides. And cruiser riders wonder why there aren't many young guys or women in this dying breed. So yeah, consider it an invitation to speak freely about whatever the scout could be. It's already a forward-thinking platform, one that's challenged by the 'ol-horse HD rearing the new Sportster.

The entry price for the scout is certainly important. It drew me, personally, to the brand and the bike.

Anyone know what're the differences between the engines? Seems like there's a lot of complexity in the IMC range of liquid cooled motors. The FTR, powerplus and scout motors all seem quite different. It'd be important to have a good modular base to maintain the OPP while still having enough guts on the high range to compete with the Sportster
I rode a Scout for 3 years/100,000 km and have recently been riding an FTR for half a year/28,000 km. Huge fan of both bikes and I still get frequent opportunities to hop between the two and compare them side by side.

The engine architecture is almost identical, they're both ~1200cc 60 degree DOHC (Sportster S is too), but the character and behavior of the two engines is quite different. First big difference is air intake volume, the Scout has a single bore throttle body, the FTR has a dual bore throttle body that is cast right into the cylinder heads. The FTR air box is larger (mostly enabled by moving the fuel tank to the rear of the bike) and also incorporates ram air intakes at the steering head. I think that the intake redesign is where most of the horsepower gain is coming from. Second big difference is the lighter crankshaft, the FTR engine revs up a lot faster than the Scout engine does. To me that is the most noticeable difference between the engines when riding them side by side, it adds up to a snappier, more aggressive character. And then there are the smaller incremental improvements like weight reduction, redesigned higher flow ports, higher compression ratio etc. All of the above aside, they still have a lot in common, similar power band, similar rev ceiling.

Hard to say if it would be a good fit for the Scout platform. The Scout engine already outperforms it's chassis, brakes, and suspension. I never really acknowledged that until I started riding them side by side, the Scout really is a sketchy bike when you're pushing it, to me that's part of what makes it a thrilling bike to ride, similar to why I love riding hardtails. I actually get more of an adrenaline rush riding a tuned Scout aggressively than I do from riding my FTR, simply because it feels so much sketchier charging into a corner. The FTR is a completely different ball game in terms of handling, far more composed in all situations, and while that allows you to ride harder and faster, it still ends up feeling much safer, more in control.

In my opinion, simply swapping the FTR engine into a Scout chassis would result in a very sketchy motorcycle, it would be good scary fun, but it would get ripped apart in the market by critics. The entire chassis would have to be upgraded to accomodate the power, similar to what HD has done with the Sportster S. You would need at least stiffer upside down forks and dual disc Brembos. Not sure what they could do about the rear end, piggyback twin shocks might be enough but I doubt they would outperform the Sportster S monoshock, a monoshock Scout would require a totally redesigned rear frame. With all of these upgrades you of course get a higher price point.

It would be really cool to see a significantly redesigned Scout with a new chassis and the FTR engine out there taking on the Sportster S at the same price point, but I have my doubts that Polaris will push the Scout platform to that level. The Scouts really are great bikes and very much in their own skin, they're powerful but not quite a "power cruiser" like a V-Max or Diavel, which is a good marketable position. Better to be neck and neck or better than bikes like the Rebel 1100 and Vulcan S than to fall way short of bikes like the Diavel. That was one of the shortfalls of both the V-Rod and the FXDR, they were "power cruisers" but they were the slowest in the market, completely smoked by their Japanese and Italian counterparts. Nobody buying a power cruiser wants to own "the slowest power cruiser".

The big risk for Polaris is if they only go halfway on the redesign effort and release a "Scout S" with 125 HP, a better front end, but a sub par twin shock rear end, it's going to fall short of the Sportster S in terms of handling and it's going to get eaten alive by the critics.

·
4,670 Posts
Rouge..? As in women's makeup ?
@IMARIDER, you're a prime example of what happens when you run too long on a blown head gasket.. Are you noticing more frequent coolant loss ?

Maybe you meant "Rogue".. Also maybe you need a compression check..
I stand corrected thank you

·
4,670 Posts

Well to begin with the Scout is 1133 cc and the FTR is 1203 cc. I’m sure the redline on the FTR is higher. Definitely different cams and tune.

·
Bronze member
2,801 Posts
It's so strange in here - in this whole forum - when it comes to the FTR.. Maybe it's just me - the fact that I've spent most of my life in the "offroad world" of motorcycling..

Am I the only one that looks at FTR pics ( like @EPOCH6's ) and see nuthin but a dual sport motorcycle ?

It seems most all you guys see a street bike with interesting styling.. But how many realize it is an on/off road bike - exactly like what has been built by many brands for many decades..?

They've put super moto wheel/tire combos on the newer ones - So you gotta get the Rally version to get the wires and knobby"s..

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm the same . Came frome dual sport to street then back to trail riding . I loved the look of the scout but might get the FTR as a second bike .

1 - 20 of 41 Posts