Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent off a oil sample from my first oil change to see how the engine is doing. Before the oil change I had to add some oil because it was low and the only oil the dealer had was their semi synthetic 20W-40.

Attachments

Reactions: GordonS

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Good show Elrod, I'm glad that you left the factory oil in for the full break in period like Indian recommends. :cool:
There is a reason for break in oils being left in the bike for the entire break in period.

I have read on this forum that some have changed out the break in oils in much less than 100 miles and prematurely putting in the full synthetic oils in the engine!
This probably stops or slows down the breaking in of the engine before it is fully broken in!

I am going for the factory recommended 500 mile, change to new oil, at 2500 miles change again.
After that follow the 5000 mile recommended suggestions.

I think If anyone follows those suggestions, they will probably end up with a much happier engine! :D

By the way, I have read that the break in oil is green in color and the full synthetic oils are not, is this true?

I haven't seen any of the drained break in oils since I haven't drained my oil yet, and I haven't opened up any of the 8 quarts I have on hand waiting for my oil changes.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good show Elrod, I'm glad that you left the factory oil in for the full break in period like Indian recommends. :cool:
There is a reason for break in oils being left in the bike for the entire break in period.

I have read on this forum that some have changed out the break in oils in much less than 100 miles and prematurely putting in the full synthetic oils in the engine!
This probably stops or slows down the breaking in of the engine before it is fully broken in!

I am going for the factory recommended 500 mile, change to new oil, at 2500 miles change again.
After that follow the 5000 mile recommended suggestions.

I think If anyone follows those suggestions, they will probably end up with a much happier engine! :D

By the way, I have read that the break in oil is green in color and the full synthetic oils are not, is this true?

I haven't seen any of the drained break in oils since I haven't drained my oil yet, and I haven't opened up any of the 8 quarts I have on hand waiting for my oil changes.
The oil does have a slight greenish tint to it, not an all out green :) I am pretty sure (from my oil analysis) that the original oil is the 15w-60 full synthetic so those folks who changed their oil early really didn't do any harm. I think I will be doing my changes every 3K after this, just my preference as you can go longer on synthetic.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Here is an interesting article written in Motorcyclist Magazine (March 2015) on Indian Scout Oil Change ..

Attachments

• Image uploading. Refresh page to view
    2.8 MB Views: 218

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Granted, 560 miles isn't a lot of miles, but nice to see that shearing has reduced the viscosity level even with some 20w40 oil added. I was a bit surprised to see zinc levels <1000. I know that oil companies are reducing this but most 100% m/c specific oils still have zinc levels 1000 >. You think anyone will be foolish enough to go close to the 10K recommended interval AND submit a sample for analysis? I'll keep the new oil in for 500-750 miles and then change out every 4k thereafter.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is an interesting article written in Motorcyclist Magazine (March 2015) on Indian Scout Oil Change ..
Thanks Gio. That probably explains why I had that oil come spilling out when I checked it after getting my oil changed.

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
I sent off a oil sample from my first oil change to see how the engine is doing. Before the oil change I had to add some oil because it was low and the only oil the dealer had was their semi synthetic 20W-40.
Elrod,
That was a very intelligent choice if I do say myself.

I'd say maybe 1 in 100,000 people would think of doing a oil "blood test" to check the health of their equipment.

It's really the only way to know how it's
doing.
A very inexpensive way to get peace of mind.. And if you do it semi regular you can head off a on the road failure..
Aircraft do it on a regular bases, since you just can't pull a plane off the road when it quits.

·
10,006 Posts
Just got off the web page for Blackstone and ordered my free oil analysis kit.

When I send in my sample I am supposed to send in $25.00 for the analysis!

The Kit is free, the analysis is only $25.00!

If the darned snow would melt and I could get about another 100 miles on the oil I will get a sample to them for the 500 mile oil change!

Erratic weather keeps me off the road... I can remember buying motorcycles in the 80's when I was younger I would bring the bikes in the very next day for the 600 mile checkup! (Honda)

Getting old isn't for the weak! LOL!
Old Man.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got off the web page for Blackstone and ordered my free oil analysis kit.

When I send in my sample I am supposed to send in $25.00 for the analysis!

The Kit is free, the analysis is only $25.00!

If the darned snow would melt and I could get about another 100 miles on the oil I will get a sample to them for the 500 mile oil change!

Erratic weather keeps me off the road... I can remember buying motorcycles in the 80's when I was younger I would bring the bikes in the very next day for the 600 mile checkup! (Honda)

Getting old isn't for the weak! LOL! View attachment 5460
Excellent, pretty cheap and they do a good thorough analysis of your engine. I have been doing consistent checks with my Shelbys and it lets you know if there is something that is not right. Kind of a peace of mind thing when you spend that much money on a vehicle.
Sorry about the cold weather, hopefully that will improve soon so you can get some more miles on the Scout.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Elrod,
That was a very intelligent choice if I do say myself.

I'd say maybe 1 in 100,000 people would think of doing a oil "blood test" to check the health of their equipment.

It's really the only way to know how it's
doing.
A very inexpensive way to get peace of mind.. And if you do it semi regular you can head off a on the road failure..
Aircraft do it on a regular bases, since you just can't pull a plane off the road when it quits.
Thanks Husky, it does give you that peace of mind. I remember when I was in the Air Force and doing some of the aircraft crew chief duties we would always take an oil sample of the engine when it returned from a flight .

·
10,006 Posts
Sorry about the cold weather said:
Texas weather is weird this year. We have had temperature changes this week alone from 72 and sunny to 40 and snowing today!
Monday is supposed to be up to the high 60's Go Figure! :confused:

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
You guys are cracking me up. I don't see the need to pay someone to analyze the used oil from a new motor. It's under a warranty so why worry about it. I don't mean to sound like I don't care, just don't see the need this early in the life of the motor.

·
10,006 Posts
You guys are cracking me up. I don't see the need to pay someone to analyze the used oil from a new motor. It's under a warranty so why worry about it. I don't mean to sound like I don't care, just don't see the need this early in the life of the motor.

If you do have work that is needed under warranty it could come in handy to prove that you were keeping a close watch on your oil!
The same way that saving your oil change receipts could help you down the line!
Couldn't hurt! :)

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Planned on doing an analysis at 1500 Miles when changed it the 2nd time after the factory 500 Change .. But misplaced my Kits , something easy to do at my age .. Will run a Test at 5,000 at my next change and then plan on Changing Oil every 5 K after and do an analysis every 10K .. Looks like a good report to me Elrod and been reading these for almost 30 years this was required monthly shipboard on all our Critical Machinery.. No Dealer to run to when 5,000 Miles out at sea ..

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like a good report to me Elrod and been reading these for almost 30 years this was required monthly shipboard on all our Critical Machinery.. No Dealer to run to when 5,000 Miles out at sea ..
Thanks Jay. Definitely something that needs to be done on that critical machinery, a lot of people depend on it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts