Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve been searching everywhere on the forum but can’t come up with an answer. Wife’s ‘18 bobber (5k mi) suddenly having trouble downshifting from 2 to 1, cable adj perfect.
The shifter lever doesn’t seem to “reset” after being in 2nd and it’s a hard stop when pushing it down.
Also when the bike is just sitting there, there’s at least 1 1/2” of play in the lever. DH has no play.
I'm thinking her tranny is fcked.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. Everything is tight. The play extends to the shaft going into the engine. Everything between that and the lever is tight

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
I can’t be sure because of the viewpoint in the video but it looks to me like the shift lever is angled back when at rest.

Are the tiny dimples aligned on the lever and shaft?

I removed mine and moved it forward a spline notch so the lever points straight down toward the ground.
Makes a better square corner shape for lever and shift linkage. Lets it move forward and backward more equally.

I remember reading here a while ago someone had a return spring fall off or break.
Unfortunately I don’t know the inner workings of the transmission.
If there is two of those springs, up/down shift, and one is missing I can only make a wild guess and say that would be one possibility for the problem.

Reactions: old4x4

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LongRoad, a missing or broken spring sounds EXACTLY what is going on. If I use my toe to pull up the lever a little, I can make it shift. Off to Indian this week with our extended warranty!
Almost exactly a year ago, he Scout dumped all of it's coolant and the dealer said it was all corroded. After 1 year and 3K miles?
She's definitely thinking of dumping the Scout and I don't blame her one bit!

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
Dang. Hate to hear that. Hope the fix goes well.

I found the message I remembered reading, it was a pin that holds the return spring.
And yet it’s mentioned that there was an assembly change on later model years to Loctite that pin into place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts