Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 413 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to me, a dedicated maintenance thread might be a handy place to post tips & answer questions about the Scout. To start the ball rolling, I have found a 65mm oil filter cap wrench (actually a socket) at Advance Auto Parts for $5.99 + tax. It fits the Polaris filter snuggly. Advance part # 10095948.
Scout 65mm Oil Filter Wrench.jpg

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That would be a great idea. There have already been some great video's & information shared. I don't know if it would be possible to shift those postings to this thread/catagory or have the members repost.
I know for instance that Robbie in Texas came up with a " center stand " which I ordered & found to be just the ticket for oil changes & belt adjustment. Someone else found this belt gauge on eBay & it is the one shown in the Service Manual as well. That is the problem as I see it. The current information is so scattered as to be unuseful. These two items can help you keep your Scout up to standards that will require checking on a regular basis. The stand was $39.95 & the belt tension gauge $22.49 delivered.
$(KGrHqUOKkUE3V,GknS3BN44C3IIjQ~~_1.JPG
s-l140.jpg

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Interested in that lift info too. Would be handy with front tire in a wheel chock. Where it from??:)
** Yo Robbie.. Lift up your rear tire off the ground and measure your shock length from center/center of eyelets. Thinking 11.5" but want to be sure.**

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
It seems to me, a dedicated maintenance thread might be a handy place to post tips & answer questions about the Scout. To start the ball rolling, I have found a 65mm oil filter cap wrench (actually a socket) at Advance Auto Parts for $5.99 + tax. It fits the Polaris filter snuggly. Advance part # 10095948. View attachment 5249
Good idea, will make it a sticky :rolleyes:

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There are probably two different tool kits you are going to have for the Scout. One consists of those tools that you will need for the level of maintenance you are going to perform. More on that at a later time.
The second is something to have when you are on the road. With space being at a premium on a Scout, this more often than not, comes down to your pockets. For that reason I lean towards a " Swiss Army " style set. Small & relatively inexpensive. To this I would add an emergency tubeless tire repair kit with CO2 cartridges. It will get you up & running on the side of the road when you need it. I have used this on Goldwings & Harley's with no other tools. There are several styles, one using a plug & the other a wick looking cord. I favor the plug, having struggled with the latter & receiving mixed results.

Here are the URL's for examples, plus video's of the tire repair process
Cruztools Mini Metric Tool Kit
Cruztools Outback'R M14 Mini Metric Tool Kit Motorcycle ATV | eBay

Stop Go CO2 Tubeless Tire Repair Kit
Stop Go International Pocket Tire Plugger with CO2 for Tubeless Tires 1001 | eBay

Stop & Go Pocket Tire Repair Kit video

BikeMaster Tire Repair Kit
BikeMaster Tire and Tube Flat Repair Kit - Motorcycle Superstore

YouTube Tire Repair 101

Mini Metric Tool Kit.jpg
Stop Go Plug Style Kit.JPG

BikeMaster Wick Style Kit.jpg

·
Founding Member
1,929 Posts
[QUOTE="LuftWolf, post: 40693, member: 2475"
I know for instance that Robbie in Texas came up with a " center stand " which I ordered & found to be just the ticket for oil changes & belt adjustment. [/QUOTE]

Is that a 2 person job to get a heavy bike up on that or can you use your foot to rock the stand back? There are some bikes you just have to hold onto with both hands.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Are the Scout's frame rails on the bottom of the bike able to support one of the bike lifts that utilize two support rails as platforms?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You should be able to hoist a Scout alone as it's all about the leaverge (see Red's posting), Chiefs... I don't know. I can not speak to the rail question with any authority, but Ducati's for instance also use the engine as a frame member. I had previously contacted J&S Jacks and they responded that their lift would handle the Scout with an additional Indian adapter ($39.95). Anyone who is successfully lifting their bike with a two suport rail system, please let us know.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I did a Oil Filter cross reference at: POLARIS 2520799 - Alternative oil filters & there were over 100 listed. AC-Delco, Carquest, Emgo , Fram, Hastings, K&N, NAPA, Purolator & Wix among others.
that is good,,,this one is even better....just remember it was done YEARS ago,,,prices have gone up,,,and the best buy in filters is no longer available.....Supertech from walmart is gone now......i have 100,000 miles on various bikes with supertech oil filters.

Motorcycle Oil Filter Cross Reference

at 300 miles ,, i just replaced the filter,,, that oil is a LONG way from being "worn out"...like 9700 miles away......if any metal is in there, the filter will have captured it by now.
the new fram fits perfect ,, and is made in Canada,,,............. the Indian ?.... made for them by ?...in Mexico !

1 - 20 of 413 Posts