Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding up the interstate the other day on my ride home from work. Tampa traffic is usually heavy and keeps you boxed in most the time. I am in the 2nd from right lane out of 4 and had pass a f250 pulling trailer on my left. Didn’t like the looks of it but didn’t want to be off of its quarter panel with traffic to my right and pressing behind me... so I let the car in front get ahead and start to pass it quickly and boom the rear tire blows off the truck and it shoots under the scout, zero time to react. Hit pretty hard but Scout jumped it fine, no damage. I can only imagine what the car behind me seen. Unlucky for timing but lucky for outcome.

·
Registered
313 Posts
That happened to me once when I lived in Washington. I5 near Ft. Lewis main gate. Truck in the right lane threw a tire tread from a big rig at me. I caught air, landed it perfectly at 60 mph. Scared the crap out of me. Had a few adult beverages that night and hugged my kids and wife a little closer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right, I have driven many more miles in my truck and never ran over a tire, but get on the bike and....happens. Still love it though.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Right, I have driven many more miles in my truck and never ran over a tire, but get on the bike and....happens. Still love it though.
I don't know what it is about the bike, but it's the same with me. I once saw a panel of fibrous cement roof sheeting fly up from a truck ahead of me and drop to the road in front. It hit the road and shattered into a million pieces as I rode through the shrapnel. Another time a tradesman's truck threw a ladder off and onto the road as i skirted around it.

Then a truck towing a boat on a trailer lost the whole trailer wheel on my side as I was coming up to pass. The trailer axle hit the road in a shower of sparks and the wheel came speeding out into my lane. I dodged the wheel and left it to the car behind me to deal with.

Worst one was on a group ride of about 200 bikes packed into two lanes at highway speed. A rider decided to pass the bike ahead in the same lane and clipped the rear blinker. The slight impact unsettled both bikes, one only wobbling a bit, but with the offending bike high-siding and throwing off the rider and then standing up on its wheels again and racing down the highway as if on cruise control. It came into my lane about twenty feet in front of me, crossed the lane, and got caught up in the multi-wire rope barrier in the middle of the highway as I passed.

I can't remember anything like these happening when I've been driving, only on a bike.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have front and rear cameras on mine now. One of the first things to transfer over from my other one when I got the RM. Had a lady hit me on my VTX. Crunched my air horn, bent my highway bar a little bit, and pinned my rear brake pedal so I couldn't take off to follow them to the gas station parking lot. She said it was all her fault she'll pay for whatever, blah blah blah. Well her tune and story changed when she talked to her insurance. I was quite shocked to hear that from my insurance company. I'm pretty sure my highway peg got caught up in the spoke of the rim, too somehow it got twisted backwards. Highly recommend the cams or at least something on your helmet!

·
Bronze member
1,941 Posts
Had a similar experience a few years ago. I was able to avoid most of the shredded tire but the RV in front of me not so much. Took out his windshield. Recapped truck tires are an accident waiting to happen IMHO.

·
Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
620 Posts
I don't know what it is about the bike, but it's the same with me. I once saw a panel of fibrous cement roof sheeting fly up from a truck ahead of me and drop to the road in front. It hit the road and shattered into a million pieces as I rode through the shrapnel. Another time a tradesman's truck threw a ladder off and onto the road as i skirted around it.

Then a truck towing a boat on a trailer lost the whole trailer wheel on my side as I was coming up to pass. The trailer axle hit the road in a shower of sparks and the wheel came speeding out into my lane. I dodged the wheel and left it to the car behind me to deal with.

Worst one was on a group ride of about 200 bikes packed into two lanes at highway speed. A rider decided to pass the bike ahead in the same lane and clipped the rear blinker. The slight impact unsettled both bikes, one only wobbling a bit, but with the offending bike high-siding and throwing off the rider and then standing up on its wheels again and racing down the highway as if on cruise control. It came into my lane about twenty feet in front of me, crossed the lane, and got caught up in the multi-wire rope barrier in the middle of the highway as I passed.

I can't remember anything like these happening when I've been driving, only on a bike.
All's well that ends well. I'm glad you were unhurt. Two kinds of people ride bikes, those who have been down, and those who are gonna go down. Vigilance is the key when riding. Remember NO ONE ELSE cares about your well being out there.
I was falling a Sanford & Son wannabe truck one day down I-85 near Charlotte, N.C back in the 1980's on a 741 Scout. Every imaginable kind of junk was hanging off this truck. I was being held behind it by a semi truck and could not get out from behind it. A piece of sheet metal tin roofing came flying off and flew over my head, missing guillotining me by what seemed like a foot. Needless to say the road wasn't the only place with skid marks that day!

·
Bronze member
2,003 Posts
I try to keep a lot of space around me. Have dual cameras DVR now and hope I never need it.

During the past couple years I’ve come across things like a long ladder and a bicycle, neither of which I doubt I would’ve been able to stay upright if I hit them.
I get a little nervous when cargo containers on rooftops, bike carriers and loaded utility trailers are ahead of me.
Just this weekend I watched as a bicycle carrier on the back of a car shook badly as it passed me.
It’s easy to forget about tires and wheels coming off with all the other possible stuff there is.

Reactions: BHlvr and Micmac

·
Bronze member
3,057 Posts
A number of years ago,a bunch of us were out for a ride heading into Vermont and had stopped at a rest are just before crossing over the Connecticut river [rte. 91] which seperates N.H. and Vermont,when a guy on a HD came driving in from rte. 91,dropped his bike,rolling off of it,and started rolling on the ground in pain.So naturally,we all ran over to assist the guy.Come to find out,he got hit by an alligator,[a term used to describe part of a recap tire on a TT truck] which had seperated from the tires' carcus.As luck had it,nothing was broken,but he had a real nice bruise on his leg.Anyways,he refused any medical attention ,but was able to get back underway after some of the pain and shock of what had just happened, passed.

Moral of the story:
Pay attention when riding behind or near any TT units,especially when on a two wheeler and riding on a highway. Dave!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts