·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what are you going to do, pull up on their left side and honk?
Let me see, the stock horn is at the bottom of the frame facing left and is barely audible. These are mounted in the middle of the frame and at least twice as loud, I'm good with that regardless of which side they're on.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,005 Posts
what are you going to do, pull up on their left side and honk?
Just to be fair forward and to the right is where you 'mostly' need the sound to go.
Most driving situations are in front of or to your right most of the time.
I'm thinking of relocating my Stebil horn there.
It is pointing forward now, but is on the left engine guard.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Just to be fair forward and to the right is where you 'mostly' need the sound to go.
okay.......how is that sound going to go forward? and ill have to disagree about most driving situations being to the right. maybe you could explain it to me, im not too old to learn..............o_O

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
okay.......how is that sound going to go forward? and ill have to disagree about most driving situations being to the right. maybe you could explain it to me, im not too old to learn..............o_O
No place I felt they could be mounted facing forward plus with the open face they'd be trashed fairly quickly after a few unfortunate rain rides. How is the tiny, left facing, low mounted factory horn supposed to be heard? This isn't perfect but Hella (see what I did there) better than stock.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can't disagree. I had a Stebel on my Marauder for years, loud and never died. My only issue with any horn facing forward is just being a rain scoop. Someone mounted one forward in another thread and said it got trashed from water. These are loud and hopefully not in a rain catching location.

·
Registered
694 Posts
ok, now you guys got me wondering. ive been thinking of getting one of the reproduction horns that face forward at the top of the handlebars. wonder how they are not affected by water? your beautiful hellas appear similar to the original scout horns......

·
10,005 Posts
I don't know, I'm probably getting too old to explain! :)

But, my horn points forward and people on both sides of me hear it very plainly. :eek:

I have NO problem getting people in cars with radio and air conditioner on to hear me with the Stebil twin air-horn.
I have seen them jerk the steering wheel away from the noise even before they look to see what was there.:eek::eek:
And it is on the left side of the bike.
So just as a guess... I think sound is omni-directional to a point.
The only reason that it is still on the left side is that I haven't made a wiring harness long enough to move it to the right side yet. :(

·
10,005 Posts
Can't disagree. I had a Stebel on my Marauder for years, loud and never died. My only issue with any horn facing forward is just being a rain scoop. Someone mounted one forward in another thread and said it got trashed from water. These are loud and hopefully not in a rain catching location.
I have the same problem myself.
In the rain, I honk it a lot to clear the bell, works pretty good but becomes a real bear if you leave the moisture inside.
The air keeps it blown free of water.

·
Registered
220 Posts
View attachment 76993 View attachment 76985 This is my attempt at being heard. Hella high/low horns, Colorite Paint. Not too sure if it's finished. The bracket may need to be painted or something.
Looks nice! Will have to DDG those horns to hear them. (Have tested stock horn a couple times and ... it's a little underwhelming.)

What pipes do you have installed? Slip-ons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 35 Posts