Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the size of the Indian heated grip for the Scout? I have a 2018 Scout. When I bought it, the first upgrade was oversized grips. I don’t want to go back to the pencil-sized ones it originally came with.

·
Registered
258 Posts
It's between 1 1/4" and 1 5/16". A bit more than the stock grips and, I believe, a bit less than the Koso Apollo heated grips. I had them installed new from the dealer I bought the bike from. I never really thought they worked well. Had another dealer look at them and said they are operating correctly. They seem to take a long time to warm up, warm up inconsistently, and I can't feel the heat with gloves on. Others on the forum had good success, but if I was doing it again, I think I'd choose the Apollo grips for the bigger size and presumably better performance. The big advantage the Indian grips have is they come with the throttle tube already installed so no need to wrestle with trying to remove the throttle tube from the stock grips, which I understand is a major pain. I bought heated gloves at the end of this season so I'll give them a try next year.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's between 1 1/4" and 1 5/16". A bit more than the stock grips and, I believe, a bit less than the Koso Apollo heated grips. I had them installed new from the dealer I bought the bike from. I never really thought they worked well. Had another dealer look at them and said they are operating correctly. They seem to take a long time to warm up, warm up inconsistently, and I can't feel the heat with gloves on. Others on the forum had good success, but if I was doing it again, I think I'd choose the Apollo grips for the bigger size and presumably better performance. The big advantage the Indian grips have is they come with the throttle tube already installed so no need to wrestle with trying to remove the throttle tube from the stock grips, which I understand is a major pain. I bought heated gloves at the end of this season so I'll give them a try next year.

Thanks for the information and the picture. That really helps me with my decision. Has anyone else had experience with these. I would like to get several opinions if I could.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got the Indian heated grips when I got the bike. I live in New England and have been out in 20 degree F weather at freeway speeds. I wouldn't say they are the end all be all in keeping the hands warm; you will still need winter gloves if you are riding in the cold. At the highest heat setting, I can feel the warmth and it does help. I find myself not wanting to let go of the handlebars when stopped at a light. These are the gloves I use for the cold or wet: R-star. They are pricey, but they to work with heated grips.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I too have the Indian grips! They were a freebie when I bought my scout and I'm glad I didn't pay for them. The performance for the money is poor. The Koso versions are much better and cost less. If you really value performance then look at Oxford heated grips - they are more powerful because they draw more current, however they are cursed with that ugly control box.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had the Indian heated grips put on my Scout two days ago. 250 miles later at chilly (55F) weather and I’m glad I did it. They are too small for me so I wrestled my Grip Puppies off the stock grips and put them on the heated ones. At medium heat, I can feel it through the puppies and my gloves. Not instant but within a few miles.

Only complaint is the controls are too low, so I can’t tell what setting they’re on when I’m rolling. I think the dealer could have adjusted that but I didn’t notice when I left.

FYI Indian website has $50 off parts and $50 off service coupons so if you go that route, it helps.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got the Indian heated grips when I got the bike. I live in New England and have been out in 20 degree F weather at freeway speeds. I wouldn't say they are the end all be all in keeping the hands warm; you will still need winter gloves if you are riding in the cold. At the highest heat setting, I can feel the warmth and it does help. I find myself not wanting to let go of the handlebars when stopped at a light. These are the gloves I use for the cold or wet: R-star. They are pricey, but they to work with heated grips.
I live in Tennessee. Riding in 20 deg weather is unthinkable for me, but if they help at 20, they should surely work at 40.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Does anyone know the size of the Indian heated grip for the Scout? I have a 2018 Scout. When I bought it, the first upgrade was oversized grips. I don’t want to go back to the pencil-sized ones it originally came with.
I’m thinking about the oversized grips as well, do they help for numb fingers?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts