Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Scout Headers Gasket Replacement

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  WyandotteOkie 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I hate to start a new thread just for this but my searches don’t show any hits and maybe others are dealing with the same question and more knowledgeable folks can easily answer it. I’m doing a full exhaust replacement on my 2016 Scout and wonder what the criteria is for changing the header gaskets. My bike has only 400 miles on it (it was dealer demo I just purchased). So, particularly with almost new gaskets, do you need to replace the gaskets like a crush washer? Or, can they just be visually inspected and re-used more than once? Thanks a lot!

#2 ·
As a 41 1/2 year professional m/c technician I can say, install new gaskets. there is no guarantee that old gaskets will seal and if not there you are taking the exhaust off again. I have NEVER had to remove an exhaust when I use new gaskets.
Dad taught me "do it right the first time the first time or dn't do it at all"!!!

RACNRAY

#5 ·
I pulled the OEM Scout exhaust off today, man it’s pretty heavy for what it is. I don’t know why some folks remove the heat shielding to take the pipes off. Mine came off fine leaving them on. I tried to get the pipes and headers off in one piece, after removing the mufflers, but gave up and separated the two as it’s much easier that way. Just waiting on my new gaskets and I’ll install the new pipes. I tried every Indian and Polaris dealer around me and no one had exhaust gaskets. I ordered online with expedited shipping, whatever that means in a holiday week.

#7 ·
I've not removed the exhaust from my Scout, but I've removed and replaced nearly every system from every bike I;ve owned (40+).
When replacing the exhaust and gaskets, I have used wheel bearing grease as a holding agent so as to make it easier to assemble with my "old-crippled" hands. If you are installing a system with cat cons, it may not be considered as "best practice" as the exhaust gets to operating temperature the fumes and smoke may compromise the cat cons efficiency.

If the system has no cat cons then it may have a bit of harmless smoke untill the grease has burned off.

Hope this helps.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.