Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read in another thread where a member who had the chance to ride a new Scout said that one of the few cons was that he felt the hand grips could be a bit thicker. I haven't had a chance to even see one yet, much less ride it, but for those of you who feel the same, perhaps you might want to try an inexpensive solution and see if it helps. I installed a pair of "Grip Puppies" on my 2014 BMW F800GT and they add just a bit of thickness to the grip plus a slight bit of cushioning. I have heated grips on my BMW and the heat comes through just fine. Plus, they dry out very quickly if you happen to get caught in the rain. And they're inexpensive - mine cost about $10. Some riders have complained that they've had trouble putting them on but I used a bit of dish soap and I seriously had them both installed in 3 minutes. Just something to think about. Make sure they fit your bike - I think they come in 2 sizes.

Grip Covers - Grab On Foam Grip Covers - - A&S BMW Motorcycle Parts and Accessories

·
Registered
48 Posts
They are long and thin. But, maybe that means they're better suited for slip on grips? If someone makes tab leather heated slip ons I'd give them my money.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I just read in another thread where a member who had the chance to ride a new Scout said that one of the few cons was that he felt the hand grips could be a bit thicker. I haven't had a chance to even see one yet, much less ride it, but for those of you who feel the same, perhaps you might want to try an inexpensive solution and see if it helps. I installed a pair of "Grip Puppies" on my 2014 BMW F800GT and they add just a bit of thickness to the grip plus a slight bit of cushioning. I have heated grips on my BMW and the heat comes through just fine. Plus, they dry out very quickly if you happen to get caught in the rain. And they're inexpensive - mine cost about $10. Some riders have complained that they've had trouble putting them on but I used a bit of dish soap and I seriously had them both installed in 3 minutes. Just something to think about. Make sure they fit your bike - I think they come in 2 sizes.

Grip Covers - Grab On Foam Grip Covers - - A&S BMW Motorcycle Parts and Accessories
Personally, I find the grips on the Indian perfect. As I have aged, I now have arthritis in my hands. When doing a long run like Run For The Wall, my hands start to hurt due to having them wrapped around the larger grips that were on my Road King and my Goldwing. The grip on the Indian are smaller and more comfortable overall. I do have cruise control but on a group ride where you are less than 1 foot from the back tire of the rider in front of you....you simply can't use cruise. Way too many instances where a cager pulls into the platoon. So...with the addition of a throttle boss.... you just ride on and put up with the cramping or pain in your hands. My longest run to date on my Chieftain was about 275 miles and I didn't use the cruise. My hands felt fine after that. My butt...well let's just say the seat needs to conform itself to my butt a bit better still.

Overall, I don't see me changing the grips for something larger.
Just another point of view.
Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have the above grips on my bike that look really nice,

but the leather is so smooth it really gives you no gripping power to hold on.

Going to order these A&S covers for a try

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At this point, all I want to do is feel the grips on my new Scout - any grips will do at this point! HA!

John, those leather grips do look nice!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I ordered and received the A&S grips

they state to use hairspray to slip on, but didn't.

tried the idea of soapy water, only got me on about an inch.

so after some thought, went with something tried and true:

KY Jelly, worked like a charm ! Slid right on

Let them sit overnight and they are on nice and tight

·
Registered
272 Posts
forget those cheap water absorbing foam grip covers,,,that is old tech.

THIS..... Original Grip Buddies is what you want !

have these on the 2003 Yamaha fjr1300 AND the 2008 ktm 690 duke

easy on,,easy off [ super heavy duty Velcro attachment} takes less than a minute.

easier for the hand to grab ,,, versus a skinny , small diameter grip
waterproof ,,[ it is wet suit material after all ]
reduces the engine vibrations through the handlebar.
hand made in USA

·
Registered
108 Posts
You can always get grip covers.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I had an old set of grip buddies I purchased for my BMW that I didn't like on that bike so I installed them on the Scout. I rode it for the first time with them yesterday and ended up taking them off half way through my ride just to see the difference.

It was then I noticed something unexpected. With the grip buddies installed I was getting a lot of vibration through the grips, enough to cause a numb throttle hand in short order. When I removed them and put on my leather gloves (the tan Indian deerskin) the vibration was gone!

I know, it makes no sense but I put the grip buddies back on and back came the buzz with or without the gloves.

Apparently the hardness of the grip is by design, who would have thunk it o_O

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
I like the low tech solutions the best.
I wear flannel lined deerskin gloves.

Fits all grips perfectly!
Go from bike to bike easily!
Infinitely adjustable to any grip size!

·
Registered
108 Posts
This is what I have on mine. It just a thick leather sleeve.

Attachments

Reactions: RBinTEX
1 - 15 of 15 Posts