Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there Scout riders,
As some of you probably know by now after reading some of my posts, I'm an advocate of safe riding and for me that implies wearing a full face helmet, jacket, preferably with back, shoulder and elbow armor, riding pants, boots and gloves.
Now I'm also riding a Scout meaning I'm biased towards classic looking motorcycles and gear that has that Americana look.
Ever since I saw it on Revzilla, I knew that a Bell Bullitt RSD Viva has to become part of my collection of helmets and it's gonna complement my Indian Moyorcycles leather jacket.
So this Friday I have received the package with a brand new Bullitt RSD Viva, size L vintage looking helmet, needless to say, 5 minutes after I picked it up from the front porch where the UPS guy left it I was already testing to see if it fits.
Normally I'm not shy to do a little bit of store shopping to see if it fits and then go back home and order it online but this time I bit the Bullitt, pun intended and order it without trying one first.
Fingers crossed because two of my helmets are size XL and two other ones are L. Well it fit, but just barely. Let's say that if you pull a double Van Gough you will have no problems putting it on and taking it off.
Yeah, the ears are definitely in the way particularly when you try to take it off, but once it on its a tight fit.
The first thing you will notice, this is a light helmet and small, I mean really small. Even though it looks big in some pictures this is a lid that looks small in your hands and small on your head. I am pretty sure this was designed like this and one of the downsides to having a small shell helmet is that there isn't that much padding on the inside. Also, there are no specific cut outs for ears so a Bluetooth or headset while riding are out of the question with this helmet.
It comes with two shields in the box, a clear bubble and a silver mirror.
With the silver mirror visor installed the visibility is absolutely phenomenal, the large opening in the helmet does not impede your field of vision in any way, it's like you totally forget you have a helmet on and only if you try to look down you will see very little edge in your peripheral vision.
It also looks totally bad ass. However, I have a few small complaintss, the tint used it's a bit too dark, just a bit. The helmet doesn't have a quick release for the visor, instead you need to use a small screwdriver or a quarter to unscrew the two little bolts, one on each side to change the visors when the sun goes down and you haven't finished riding. I'm guessing you will feel like a blind person with the silver mirror visor at night since the tint is so dark.
Another area of concern are the little vortexes that are formed at the corner of your eyes at speed as they can become a bit annoying when the speed increase above 75-80 mph. I'm assuming the seal between the visor and the helmet it's not that good and I'm willing to bet money water will also find a way inside the helmet but it is just a guess since I haven't test it in the rain. After two hours wearing it I had no headaches, I wasn't tired or had any pressure points on my head but a small line on my forehead from the edge of the leather padded liner. I believe that after I will wear it a couple more times it's gonna give way a bit and this will no longer be an issue.

Attachments

·
Bronze member
2,176 Posts
I like it, goes good with your bike color

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
I like the way it looks.
I don't like thin padding, a shield that doesn't seal, and the fit.
How is the ventilation?

I like the looks on a lot of Bell helmets and their pricing sure won't hurt you.
I have a long oval head though and Bell helmets have a round head fit....that takes them off of my list.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the way it looks.
I don't like thin padding, a shield that doesn't seal, and the fit.
How is the ventilation?

I like the looks on a lot of Bell helmets and their pricing sure won't hurt you.
I have a long oval head though and Bell helmets have a round head fit....that takes them off of my list.
Well, I mainly bought it for the vintage look, I kinda knew what to expect before I bought it from reading other reviews and seeing some videos. With that in mind, fooling around Chicagoland for a day or two at cruising speeds less than 75 mph, this helmet is okay. the ventilation is not bad but is not great either, the seal lets way to much air in and that's what annoys me the most. If the visor would seal better this helmet would get rave reviews from everyone but like this it's a compromise for looks.
Some people are saying this is a noisy helmet, I believe that's an exaggeration but the wind coming in from the bad seal its probably the culprit here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts