Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be buying a Scout soon ........IF I can make myself tolerate a 3.3 gal tank on a bike that will prob not be real good on gas. Does anyone know if Indian is planning on making the tank bigger, or is there any aftermarket tanks available....BTW.....this is my first post in what I hope to be many ......Thanks All

Andy

·
Registered
302 Posts
I got 112 miles and the gas light came on today. so about 36 mpg.
wish it was bigger too.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm averaging 56 mpg. After 150 your butts gonna need a break anyhow so never really a issue.
Kerm

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm hoping after the break in, I'm at 400 now, when I can cruise more easily the gas mileage will increase.
Idk the seat doesn't really bother me. I still want a corbin just to have a better seat, but the stock is alright.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm averaging 56 mpg. After 150 your butts gonna need a break anyhow so never really a issue.
Kerm
My butt gets many breaks in places where there is no gas......my vulcan 900 custom has a 5.3 gal tank and at 55 mpg, i'm usually good to go all day in remote areas.....I want the much nicer Scout, but hate to give up my 200+ range.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Im going to buy some tanks to keep in my back pack tonight at bass pro.
figure camping fuel tanks will work well enough. would love to put soft bags on the bike so I can carry fuel in there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im going to buy some tanks to keep in my back pack tonight at bass pro.
figure camping fuel tanks will work well enough. would love to put soft bags on the bike so I can carry fuel in there.
What about just putting a bigger tank on an otherwise extremely top notch bike?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I will be buying a Scout soon ........IF I can make myself tolerate a 3.3 gal tank on a bike that will prob not be real good on gas. Does anyone know if Indian is planning on making the tank bigger, or is there any aftermarket tanks available....BTW.....this is my first post in what I hope to be many ......Thanks All

Andy
I get 52 MPG.
That is over 165 miles per tank.
Never has been a problem for me.
I drove to Sturgess and around Lake Superior and never had to stop before I wanted to in order to get gas.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I get 52 MPG.
That is over 165 miles per tank.
Never has been a problem for me.
I drove to Sturgess and around Lake Superior and never had to stop before I wanted to in order to get gas.
There's no doubt that you can get by with that tank....but many smaller bikes have that size or bigger tanks. It's ashamed to see such an extra high quality bike cut corners on a major component. The old honda 750 has a 3.7....I would guess that the average for this size engine would be around 4.5 or so.....

·
Registered
302 Posts
Do you think Indian didn't want to cut into the Chief market? Some one who wants longer distance and has the money might buy a chief, but if the scout had the bigger tank say 4.5 or more they might choose the scout instead of the chief.
And the extra weight might not play well, but it would only be a few pounds from gas and extra metal right?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you think Indian didn't want to cut into the Chief market? Some one who wants longer distance and has the money might buy a chief, but if the scout had the bigger tank say 4.5 or more they might choose the scout instead of the chief.
And the extra weight might not play well, but it would only be a few pounds from gas and extra metal right?
You might be on to something there. But I'm not knowledgeable enough to know why. But I am convinced that 3.3 doesn't go with 1133cc and 100 hp....the HD sportster Custom has 4.5....

·
Bronze member
2,788 Posts
It might be because I'm riding more or the fact that the Springfield does not get as good of gas mileage, but I swear I'm filling up twice as much than when I was on my Scout.
Never did too long of a trip on the Scout, maybe a good 6 hour ride at most, luckily gas stations were frequent.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Nah....since I have the Stage 1 slipon's and trask filter and the reflash I get 235KM's before my fuel light comes on .

so I can go even 20-30 km's further if I wanted .

That's pretty good to me !:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It might be because I'm riding more or the fact that the Springfield does not get as good of gas mileage, but I swear I'm filling up twice as much than when I was on my Scout.
Never did too long of a trip on the Scout, maybe a good 6 hour ride at most, luckily gas stations were frequent.
Please take my response lightly,,,,,,,but , twice as often would be about every 60 or so miles.....many get 40 or less especially if have a little FUN with the throttle......

·
Silver member
3,602 Posts
You might be on to something there. But I'm not knowledgeable enough to know why. But I am convinced that 3.3 doesn't go with 1133cc and 100 hp....the HD sportster Custom has 4.5....
I'm among the camp that would argue the best business plan for Indian would be to be a line of bikes between Scout and Chief line ups.

As a Scout 60 owner, who just test rode a Springfield and Chieftan today, I might add a mid-size bike before a Chief.

By the way, I get about 48 miles per gallon consistently on the 60. There was some other thread where most reported about the same but there were a few outliers both higher and lower.

The only situation where the Scout's tank is too small is if you plan long rides in sparse population. Several folks carry fuel canisters to extend the range past the roughly 158 miles for those rides that would be rare for most of us.

You could put a custom bigger tank on it but 30% of the appeal of a Scout for me is the look.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I average around 147miles per tank. So far in over 30K never ran dry. I also don't pay much attention to the fuel lite other than a reminder to look at my trip meter which I reset after topping off. My reasonable (most of the time) thinking is that what you see in a OEM tank is what you get. Last thought is a tank that gets me 147 miles is fine with me, gotta get my arse off her to get feeling back in places that really count, my legs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I average around 147miles per tank. So far in over 30K never ran dry. I also don't pay much attention to the fuel lite other than a reminder to look at my trip meter which I reset after topping off. My reasonable (most of the time) thinking is that what you see in a OEM tank is what you get. Last thought is a tank that gets me 147 miles is fine with me, gotta get my arse off her to get feeling back in places that really count, my legs.
Sooooooo..........let me see if I've got this right, everyone is telling me that 3.3 is the CORRECT size for a 1133, 69ci 100 hp bike......

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Nooooo................ There is no correct size on almost anything of choice. Yes a nut must be of the right size to fit the bolt. But on others matters of what works for one person and not for another is subjective, if you're okay with something of a peculiar size such as a fuel tank, fine, if not move onto something else. The Scout works for most of the satisfied owners/riders that now own one, and for those that felt they wanted something else or more, they either moved onto a larger Indian, or onto another manufacture.

I believe Scout is in a category of it's own that I will term a sport/cruiser. Like every other bike out there it's just not for everyone, like every bike out here in the world of motorcycles, it's not for everyone. And that's why they have demo's and manufactures spec's.

Like I've said here before, "you would have to pry my cold dead hands from the grips of my Scout before you could have her".:eek:

1 - 20 of 111 Posts