Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scout gets down to about a gallon of gas left, no fuel light comes on and bike stalls and dies. Once topped off with gas it runs fine. Dealer replaced fuel pump, cleaned filters, replaced spark plugs but bike continues to do same. Definitely still has gas in it when it stalls. Fuel light comes on when turn on ignition so that's OK. Tube attached to fuel pump should be in correct position if they installed new pump but will have that checked. Fuel plates should also be new from what one Indian mechanic told me as they are part of new fuel pump.
Any ideas?

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Even if they did replace the fuel pump, they still may have not gotten the pickup (two piece) back together so it could pickup the fuel in the bottom of the tank.
A lot of this happened in the past in 2015 when they were trading out tanks because of paint issues!
That is item #11 that connects to the filter in the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Even if they did replace the fuel pump, they still may have not gotten the pickup (two piece) back together so it could pickup the fuel in the bottom of the tank.
A lot of this happened in the past in 2015 when they were trading out tanks because of paint issues!

Do you detect a vacuum in the tank when you open it to refill it? What prevent a vacuum from forming as the tank fuel is used?

Brooksie

·
10,006 Posts
Do you detect a vacuum in the tank when you open it to refill it? What prevent a vacuum from forming as the tank fuel is used?

Brooksie
The tank should normally be pressurized...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks for the parts diagram. Where did you get the diagram?, very useful. We mimicked the problem and after the mechanic hooked it up to whatever computer diagnostic tool they use it indicated the bike's ECU was defective. They are also going to place a new tank on to make sure it is not just something concerning that. Will have them check the pickup, but with a new fuel pump installed once, and then a different tank with fuel pump somebody has to get those pickups right. Will be sure to test drive it to death to make sure all is correct!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. They swapped the electronic unit from a showroom bike and my bike continued to stall. They then placed a showroom tank on it and it ran fine so they've ordered a new tank from the factory to solve the problem. They are suspecting something about the baffles holding gas back. Not sure how that could happen but hope this fixes problem. Thank goodness extended service contract is taking care of this. If anyone else is having same problem let me know. High mileage on my bike so maybe vibrations are causing it. Dropped it once but ran fine for many thousands of miles after that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got the new tank, and no longer have bike stalling before fuel light comes on. Strange that it was the tank that was at fault. Since the dealer can't see inside of the tank they weren't able to ascertain what the flaw was. They hinted at the baffles being at fault not allowing gas flow with only about a gallon of gas left. Hopefully they sent the tank to the factory which suggested the fix when the dealer asked their advice. So if this happens to others get ahold of the factory and let them know this has happened prior and you may need a new tank.
They actually sent the tank without the lettering attached but am touring the factory in 2 days and have already asked that they tack the letters on. Right now it is motorcycle brand "Unknown".

·
10,006 Posts
Finally got the new tank, and no longer have bike stalling before fuel light comes on. Strange that it was the tank that was at fault. Since the dealer can't see inside of the tank they weren't able to ascertain what the flaw was. They hinted at the baffles being at fault not allowing gas flow with only about a gallon of gas left. Hopefully they sent the tank to the factory which suggested the fix when the dealer asked their advice. So if this happens to others get ahold of the factory and let them know this has happened prior and you may need a new tank.
They actually sent the tank without the lettering attached but am touring the factory in 2 days and have already asked that they tack the letters on. Right now it is motorcycle brand "Unknown".
To start with the "tank" did NOT cause the problem!
The tank is nothing but a shell of metal. If you replace the "tank" all you have done is put a new metal shell over the internal works.
Apparently they finally figured out how to connect the fuel pumps and the pickups together to make it work.
Look at the schematic again and you can see that the 'tank' has nothing to do with how the fuel pump and the pickups work.
All of us went through all of this in 2015 with all the tanks that were replaced from bad paint jobs.
When the tank comes to the dealer, it is not a complete unit, it is only a shell and the plastic name plates are not attached.
They do not come as a complete unit that is just installed on the bike.
The number 11 pickup tube with the filter hanging from it in the schematic is the culprit on not being able to pickup the gas from the tank.
There is kind of a technique to making sure it is over the edge of the sides of the inside of the tank and connected when the unit goes back into the shell.
That has always been your problem.... if the pickup tube is not connected to the bottom of the tank it CAN NOT pickup the last gallon of gas out of the tank..
Pure and simple! The pickup tube has to be connected to get to the gas and just maneuvering it into place during the install can dislodge the pickup tube and filter on the end. Tab A has to be connected to slot B type repair.

I'm glad that your dealer finally muddled through the install and got it right and your on the road again, but believe me it was most likely their ineptness that caused the repeated "repairs" they were making.

·
Registered
156 Posts
After going to my dealership and researching what is causing this failure, this is what we found. Fuel pump out of order. Its almost impossible to put the pump in a wrong way ,
The pipes are thermoformed to be sure of the good connection of these and the filter is vertical to go flawlessly to the bottom of the tank against the left side. (Scout 2016)

With the experience and advice found here, I did not hesitate to share it with the mechanic who encountered this problem for the first time. As a reminder, after changing the filter (25K miles / 40K Km) I found myself with an engine stopped in full acceleration, the engine resumed its course after a few misfires then stopped definitively after 16km! Annoyed to have a broken down motorbike just after an overhaul I started to look where it could come from.

To begin with, the bike had misfires with a few explosions due to too much air in the engine during the first cuts. my trip so far is 135Km, we are far from the classic gasoline failure (as a reminder a Scout is about 205-215Km before fuel light when driving normally) moreover my light does not light up. I redo the journey in my head how it started, when the engine resumed and my permit to do 16Km then or this one has definitively stopped running. I understand that during descents the engine cuts and during climbs it resumes! exactly as during the low fuel warning and the warning light that comes on depending on whether you are driving flat or downhill (therefore moving the fuel in the tank) Except that I have about 4 liters left ( 1Gal) of gasoline and obviously no indicator lights! So it's not out of gas! even if it strongly resembles it.
The bike is by the side of the road, a biker stops to inquire about my problem, if I need help but it seems bent. I call the insurance for a support, while waiting for the call of the repairman to put the motorcycle on trailer I decide to start the motorcycle and hop! it starts again, I can then do 6 Km ! Thanks to the climbs which seems to send the gasoline to the pump at the bottom of the tank but after each hill there is a descent and the failure returns I park one last time on the lower side I call my wife who is 2 km away and when in doubt I ask her to bring me the jerrycan of gasoline. It arrives 5min later, I add 1 liter in the tank, turn the ignition key, press the button, Vroooommm! the engine runs perfectly, I go home and cancel the trailer. I then call the dealership, make an appointment again to check all this. In the meantime I would do a test again. The next day I'm going to refuel and go for a ride in my mountains, the advantage? in descents I will see if the problem persists and in ascents I will restart the machine finally in the best case ...
Beautiful day for a ride and the bends are calling me!
I'm leaving, everything is going well, direction the route des Grandes Alpes the turns follow other curves which precede other turns, I go up direction Morzine / Les Gets for a descent to Taninges then direction Mieussy and its descent with its very fast curves for a rise on Viuz en Sallaz I take the direction of Bogève la Vallée Verte (Green Valley) and its mountain plateau and the Col des Moises then return to Lake Leman or a descent of more than 600m of negative elevation. (a nice descent in the event of a breakdown, isn't it?) I don't think I can put it so well ... During all these climbs / descents I have no problem. I made approx 5 Litres per 100Km I know that I should have about 4 liters left on my return.
Vallée Verte 6pm after having passed the Perret pass I have an alert when I arrive in Villards, fortunately I turn right towards the climb to Habère Lullin, the bike will do the same again just before attacking the Moises pass. once at the top the straight line passes but I know that the descent will be done in free wheel ...
From the start of the slope the motor stops and I find myself going down the Col des Moises and its pins with a 256 Kg bicycle ! 9 km freewheeling until the motorcycle turns off on a flat 600m drop below and 2.5Km from the nearest gas station. Luckily a motorist will stop and come back to bring me a little gasoline allowing me to reach the station. This time I would have done 178Km before the first warning but the problem remains the same. The gasoline cannot be "sucked" by the pump as soon as less than 4 liters remain in the tank. Back to the dealership, I took a little gasoline in case ... Disassembly / verification / reassembly, replacement of the sensor for the fuel indicator light on the pump, I leave without real conviction I have a little more than 4 liters I wait impatiently for the first descent, the referee ... Here it is, it is a vulgar slope which stretches over 30m which is enough to put the engine down. Fortunately I have my gasoline which allows me to return to the dealership.

Dismantle the pump, test the pump it seems to work.
Situation with 1 liter of gasoline out of the tank it sucks correctly, return to the tank the motorcycle does not start, we add 1 additional liter still nothing. Based on this observation, the mechanic decides to change the pump (my bike is under warranty) and oh miracle ! after just 1 priming procedure, the bike starts at 1/4 turn. I leave with my 4 liters, the reserve light will come on correctly 65Km later, a little more than a liter before running out of fuel and I would fill up with 11.2 L (Scout tank 12,5 Liters) after having traveled 232Km. I hope I will not come back here to follow up on this problem ! ;)

the Test Trip ;-)
Trad by google, the original post in french > Connexion

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wasn't sure if I should revive this thread or start my own, but it seemed like I should reply to this. My 2020 Scout was having exactly the same symptoms. I took it to the dealer today, and told them that I believe the fuel pickup tube is no longer positioned correctly in the tank. RBinTex seems to have the right diagnosis in my opinion. My bike has zero issues when the fuel tank is more than half full , but half empty and it stalls at almost every stop sign....when the fuel is sloshing around. I will report if/when the dealer fixes my issue. They said my theory about the fuel pickup tube being out of position seemed to fit the symptoms, but they also said they've never had this problem in their shop before. Either way, will let you know when I get the bike back.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, dealer called me back Friday. They tested the fuel pump and supposedly the fuel pickup tube. When I asked how you test the fuel pickup tube the response was basically leaning the tank front/rear and side to side as much as possible and testing that they still had adequate pressure. That made zero sense to me, since they didn't fully remove the tank. I asked what about testing the position of the fuel pickup tube and they didn't want to look into that. In their words " there was no way the fuel pickup tube is in the wrong position since they tested it. "

The conversation was a little frustrating. All I said was. I'm skeptical. I think the fuel pickup tube is out of position, but he's the tech....not me. I'm just a guy who read about this in a forum and the symptoms fit my bike exactly. The other people fixed it by correcting the fuel pickup tube.

I don't understand the reluctance to at least try what I suggested. But, they still can't explain or offer any other theories of their own for my problem. Since it would probably on take 30 to 45 minutes to pull the tank, re fit the fuel pump assembly and check the position of that pickup tube... why not try it instead of dismissing my suggestion.

I am in no hurry for the bike back cause it was snowing yesterday and sleet the day I rode it to the dealership. For all I care, they can keep it till it hits 60 degrees but it just frustrates me that they won't open up that tank and see what's going on inside.

This thread hasn't had much attention....but anyone here have any thoughts? Am I too confident in my theory that this is the fuel pickup tube out of position? For me, this is the only diagnosis that makes sense. I want to stress, the bike runs perfectly till I have burned about half a tank.

I actually think the dealer was starting to question whether or not the tank was just running empty on me when it happened. I was very firm with them and said, "I guarantee you will start to have the same problem as me once you burn about a gallon and a half out of the tank. I watched very closely and set the trip meter the last 3 or 4 times that I fueled up. Every time the problem re appeared after about 70 miles, and I was only about to add about a gallon and a half . I should be able to ride this bike 115 mi before the low fuel light comes on, and even then it should not just stall and kill the engine completely. My wife has a scout too and hers is easily able to do 115 to 120 before the fuel light comes on, and then she's still able to ride another 25 miles without a problem. "

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had to call the factory to get results. The dealer I went to tried to blame the 1/2 tank konk on my after market exhaust! The factory had them idle my bike to where it would stall then try a tank off of a display bike. The bike then acted normally. The factory has probably seen this problem several times by now, and can advise the dealer on what to do. Some of the dealers service departments aren't good. Struggled for 2000 miles to get home on an overheating Scout and out of 5 dealers I stopped at none could fix the problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the reply Thom. I still have some confidence in my dealer. It's Sturgis Indian.....which is their flagship dealer. They really, really treat customers well there. I'm being treated well by the service dept, as well and I'm still being patient to see what they do. I'm not much of a motorcycle tech myself. I have performed lots of routine maintenance on about 6 or 8 motorcycles I have owned....but this bike is brand new and bone stock, so this is squarely a warranty issue. I am going to keep giving them the benefit of the doubt. I am just perplexed about their reluctance so far to open up that fuel tank and have a look see at the fuel pickup tube, which was the first thing that I suggested. It seems to fit the symptoms perfectly. I'll keep you all posted. I'm still open to everyone's experience here. Was hoping a few people who've been down this road might see this thread.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts