Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received the Freedom Shield windshield I've been waiting on for my Indian fairing for the Scout. They are making 10, 12, and 14 inch shields. I'm 6'2" so I ordered the 14 inch. I excitedly installed it and took it for a test ride. Oh my gosh!!! I've read about helmet buffeting but never experienced it before. I'm pretty sure my teeth were literally rattling. I read up on the subject on this forum and saw that fork wind deflectors can help. My dealer (I love them) gave me some that someone had ordered but then refused, but I had never installed them. Put them on and went for another test ride. That helped about 60 to 70%. When I ducked down a couple of inches, the buffeting all went away. Freedom Shield says they don't plan to make anything taller for now. So my question, do I opt for the 10 inch and hope my head is in clean air and live with that wind, or do I wait and see if Klock Werks comes out with a taller shield? They said they would start making a windshield for the scout fairing in the fall.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I’ve got the 24 inch Freedom Windshield on mine with lowers and it’s an awesome experience. I put better than 9,000 miles a year on. I wouldn’t change a thing.

Reactions: WENDIGO

·
Registered
105 Posts
How tall are you?
5'11" and the top of the windshield is right at nose level with my Mustang seat. It raises me up an inch more than the stock seat. If I had the stock seat, I would have got the 22" windshield.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
5'11" and the top of the windshield is right at nose level with my Mustang seat. It raises me up an inch more than the stock seat. If I had the stock seat, I would have got the 22" windshield.
Thanks. I think if Freedom Shield made a 16 inch for the scout fairing I would have been fine.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I received the Freedom Shield windshield I've been waiting on for my Indian fairing for the Scout. They are making 10, 12, and 14 inch shields. I'm 6'2" so I ordered the 14 inch. I excitedly installed it and took it for a test ride. Oh my gosh!!! I've read about helmet buffeting but never experienced it before. I'm pretty sure my teeth were literally rattling. I read up on the subject on this forum and saw that fork wind deflectors can help. My dealer (I love them) gave me some that someone had ordered but then refused, but I had never installed them. Put them on and went for another test ride. That helped about 60 to 70%. When I ducked down a couple of inches, the buffeting all went away. Freedom Shield says they don't plan to make anything taller for now. So my question, do I opt for the 10 inch and hope my head is in clean air and live with that wind, or do I wait and see if Klock Werks comes out with a taller shield? They said they would start making a windshield for the scout fairing in the fall.
View attachment 600739
Your lowers are on wrong and in the wrong place. They need to be above the signal lights and the curve goes forward.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I would go lower.
My head is in clean air and it's fantastic. No more messing around with goofy tall windshields!
I am wearing a convertible helmet by ls2. Awesome.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I’ve got the 24 inch Freedom Windshield on mine with lowers and it’s an awesome experience. I put better than 9,000 miles a year on. I wouldn’t change a thing.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I went with the Memphis Shades fairing and I’m using the 9 inch Spoiler windshield. I added the fairing wind deflectors and it’s quite rideable. I’m going to stand the fairing just a little more upright to get the air over my helmet.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Nice looking bike. How tall are you?
Thank you. I’m on the short side being 5’5”. I got to test ride a Scout with the Indian fairing and figured I would need to tall of a windshield that would spoil the looks of the bike. Compared to the Indian fairing the Memphis Shades was much less expensive even with the extras that you need to mount it on the Scout. I had it wrapped to match the blue.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your lowers are on wrong and in the wrong place. They need to be above the signal lights and the curve goes forward.
That's why I'm on the forum, hoping somebody knows what they're doing. I've installed them correctly now (wasn't easy with the fairing). I haven't done a test ride yet, I don't expect much difference but it's good to have them on right.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I’m curious Where did you find that freedom windshield for the scout fairing. I can’t see it on their website. I have the oem fairing with the two inch shield. Looking at going a bit higher with it. Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’m curious Where did you find that freedom windshield for the scout fairing. I can’t see it on their website. I have the oem fairing with the two inch shield. Looking at going a bit higher with it. Thanks
I’ve been emailing the owner the last couple of months and when they were ready, he told me the sizes and price and took my order. They are very good to work with and I’d like for it to work out with the Freedom Shield.

·
Registered
350 Posts
We own 1 Scout and 1 Scout 60. The Scout 60 came with the Indian fairing. The 2 inch windshield is really for looks. I was able to get the largest one (7inch) which helped a little, but it's so loud we almost need ear plugs. I would be interested to try a larger one from freedom shields.

·
Registered
253 Posts
That's why I'm on the forum, hoping somebody knows what they're doing. I've installed them correctly now (wasn't easy with the fairing). I haven't done a test ride yet, I don't expect much difference but it's good to have them on right.
How did this turn out after installing the lowers correctly? I’m a hair over 6,4 and ordered the 12 inch about a month ago and finally got it Thursday.
It’s great up to 45, then after that it’s like nothing I’ve ever experienced before. Sounds like I’m riding in a hailstorm with Ice bouncing off the top of my helmet. However, if I open my visor it’s quiet. If the lowers would reduce that by 50% I’d say it would be acceptable.
Almost forgot one last observation this shield is heavy, I think that plus the wind pushing against it over time, may be very stressful on the fairing eventually leading to a break. So much so that I think that may be why Indian offers nothing bigger than a 7.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How did this turn out after installing the lowers correctly? I’m a hair over 6,4 and ordered the 12 inch about a month ago and finally got it Thursday.
It’s great up to 45, then after that it’s like nothing I’ve ever experienced before. Sounds like I’m riding in a hailstorm with Ice bouncing off the top of my helmet. However, if I open my visor it’s quiet. If the lowers would reduce that by 50% I’d say it would be acceptable.
Almost forgot one last observation this shield is heavy, I think that plus the wind pushing against it over time, may be very stressful on the fairing eventually leading to a break. So much so that I think that may be why Indian offers nothing bigger than a 7.
I've come to the same conclusion and will be ordering the 7 inch. The fork wind deflectors did help quite bit, for me over 50% reduction, but it wasn't enough. I love the look of the fairing but it's so short, I don't think anyone over 6 ft can find a windshield tall enough.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts