Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the Demo ride today and offer my observations.

Was it what I thought it would be? Not exactly. I've read many of the test reviews and had an impression in mind so I looked for some of the positives and negatives that were commented on.

I also comment with having one on preorder. If I was on the fence I would have been wise to wait for the ride to be sure. Would I do something different? I don't think so.

Many bikes to ride only three Scouts.

Good ride course. No highway miles. Starts, stops, turns, traffic lights. Good feel for local driving. Nice out in the country route.

Plenty of power. One rider commented how much power it had up to 4000 RPM. It hadn't started to breathe yet. When the RPM's get up the bike runs. Shifted early up to 6th and had good pull in any gear. Could roll on the power without shifting down. Found the throttle response quick going up however there was a difference backing off. It felt as though the bike went into a coast mode before it slowed down. This may be a preproduction mapping issue.

The center of gravity is low. Squeeze the tank with your knees and you can move the bike around very easily very quick.

Mirror stems are short. Good shoulder views.

Front directionals are mounted on what appears to be rubber clamp mounts.

Detail is good and clean. Indian and I displayed clean looking. Indian under the tail light glass. (I'll post picture later).

Levers were loose. These are demo bikes and worn well I'm sure. My clutch lever was loose in the mount. This will not get better. Once they can vibrate they do nothing but become sloppier.

More. Later.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Hey Ray, as we discussed earlier, I showed up at Hernley's for the 10:00 demo ride. Sorry I didn't get to meet you. Thank God the rain held off. Turned out to be very nice riding conditions.
As far as the event and route, I totally agree. Kudos to Hernley's and the Indian demo team.

As for the Scout itself, I also did a pre-order and I can't be more pleased and excited! As a frame of reference, 2 of my fellow BMW sport rider friends rode the Scouts with me and we all came away very impressed. SO different from our BMWs but an interesting and nice difference.

I did not end up with the Scout with the loose levers so I can't speak to that. It goes without saying that these are demo bikes and have been put through the ringer by all types of riders.
For those interested in the size and fit - I'm 6 feet, 32 inch inseam and 220 pounds and for me the bike fit perfectly. Actually my 2 friends are slightly taller and they also liked the size of the standard bar and pedal settings.

Yeah, I definitely agree the mirrors give a lovely view of my shoulders - had to bend and strectch to see behind me. With that said, I had the same problem on my BMW. Fixed that with mirror stalk extenders and I'm sure the aftermarket will come up with a solution for the Scout.

We also got to ride the Vintage and Roadmaster. Not my type of bike BUT they also are awesome machines!

Great day! :cool:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The running sound of the water cooled engine is different. The water jacket silences engine noice. The sound of the exhaust is quite noticeable to the rider. No noticeable intake noise.
One rider said he put his hand on the side of the engine and it was not hot.
I am 5'6", 180. Initially I thought I had to reach for the bars but after riding I didn't feel as though I needed to change bars or pegs. I wouldn't rush to order either unless I spent more time on a ride.
The wind wasn't bad. You sit down in the bike and the headlight cuts the wind.
Seat was nice.
I think this will be a nice cruiser. The motor possibilities are yet to come.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hernley's demo pictures posted in gallery.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
My local dealership in Madison (WI) had their demo event in mid August. Being 6'2"/35" inseam, i had to see how it physically fit before ordering one. I like the stock foot control position and went with the extended reach seat and pullback bars for a relaxed position. My black smoke Scout was pre-ordered after a couple demo rides :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
For those interested in the size and fit - I'm 6 feet, 32 inch inseam and 220 pounds and for me the bike fit perfectly. Actually my 2 friends are slightly taller and they also liked the size of the standard bar and pedal settings.
Very glad to hear this! I'm 6'0", 33" inseam, and 145lbs. I suspect the bike will fit me good :). Since there are no dealerships within 600 KM of my house, I plan to fly to one and try it out in person!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Going to the test ride here in the Dallas TX area on the 31st. I hope the chieftain is big enough for me 6'3" 320, if not the victory it will be.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts