Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard from my dealership that the cause of the delay was due to a weld problem on some of the gas tanks. Bikes were stopped from shipping for inspection and replacement of the bad tanks. He has a customer waiting on a new tank now. The tank on my wife's Scout passed inspection. He said the estimate of the returns is between 10-20% of the Scouts but he doesn't know the exact number.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Loki does that mean that those who already have their Scouts need to take them somewhere to have their tank welds inspected? Glad I am still waiting for my bike so they get it right!!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Loki does that mean that those who already have their Scouts need to take them somewhere to have their tank welds inspected? Glad I am still waiting for my bike so they get it right!!
I am not sure. I selfishly forgot to ask that. If I had a Scout in my possession, I would contact my dealership and enquire about that,

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is going to be another good thread to pass my waiting time. Bet every dealer has a different answer, just saying
Possibly. This came from Mark Moses at the Charlotte dealership. I've known him since the KM days and he has always been a straight shooter and passes along pertinent info to his clients. I have zero reason to doubt his explanation. I was told about the tank issue by one of his other customers and contacted him with concern about my bike. He relayed the information to me at that time and the fact that my bike was either unaffected or already had the tank changed out by Polaris prior to shipment as mine was delayed in delivery. I was among the very first ordered through his dealership and only recently had it delivered to the dealership. The other customer I mentioned was ahead of me on the list as the first order at Mark dealership and his bike was an early delivery. It has the bad tank and is awaiting a replacement that is now due in mid February.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
I guess all we can do is wait for the letter from Indian/Polaris telling us to have an inspection?
If they would just tell us what to look for we could look for ourselves!
Sounds like it could be a major safety thing?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Heard from my dealership that the cause of the delay was due to a weld problem on some of the gas tanks. Bikes were stopped from shipping for inspection and replacement of the bad tanks. He has a customer waiting on a new tank now. The tank on my wife's Scout passed inspection. He said the estimate of the returns is between 10-20% of the Scouts but he doesn't know the exact number.
Well. No one really needs a lap full of fuel. So.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess all we can do is wait for the letter from Indian/Polaris telling us to have an inspection?
If they would just tell us what to look for we could look for ourselves!
Sounds like it could be a major safety thing?
Mark didn't let on to whether or not it was a safety issue or simply a questionable weld. As for waiting for Polaris to do anything, I wouldn't hold my breath. I am still waiting on word on issues with my Chieftain screen since last June.

·
10,006 Posts
Mark didn't let on to whether or not it was a safety issue or simply a questionable weld.
If they are replacing tanks it must be a serious enough issue! o_O

There might only be a small leak possibility caused by a bad weld, but dripping gas on top of a hot engine might lead me to think it was a safety issue!

Maybe they will notify us in time to let us know what the problem is before we have to read about a tank failure on this forum?
But looking at the bright side of the problem... they haven't yet contacted the owners to park the bike until tanks are replaced! :eek::eek::oops:

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
With the scout holding only a few gallons of gas the fireball will be relatively small.
When I saw the paint defect on JayFL's bike, I thought it was the result of fuel leak. These are often manifeste first as bubbles. But gasoline smell travels fast and have yet to detect any of it.

·
2,354 Posts
Possibly. This came from Mark Moses at the Charlotte dealership. I've known him since the KM days and he has always been a straight shooter and passes along pertinent info to his clients. I have zero reason to doubt his explanation. I was told about the tank issue by one of his other customers and contacted him with concern about my bike. He relayed the information to me at that time and the fact that my bike was either unaffected or already had the tank changed out by Polaris prior to shipment as mine was delayed in delivery. I was among the very first ordered through his dealership and only recently had it delivered to the dealership. The other customer I mentioned was ahead of me on the list as the first order at Mark dealership and his bike was an early delivery. It has the bad tank and is awaiting a replacement that is now due in mid February.
I got my red scout from Mark Moses. Mine is one that had the defective weld. The paint issues on red scouts are most likely due to a bad weld. The paint looks like there is a long drip down the center. This is probably not a drip of paint, but a weld that did not get ground smooth enough after welding. Most likely just a cosmetic thing, not structural.

Mark had my tank repainted instead of replaced. We did not want to pick up the bike with that defect, and god knows it would have taken months and months for a new tank to arrive. The new paint on the tank is done right, really makes it a bit more obvious how bad Indian's paint is when you compare our tank to a stock one sitting next to it.

·
10,006 Posts
I got my red scout from Mark Moses. Mine is one that had the defective weld. The paint issues on red scouts are most likely due to a bad weld. The paint looks like there is a long drip down the center. This is probably not a drip of paint, but a weld that did not get ground smooth enough after welding. Most likely just a cosmetic thing, not structural.

Mark had my tank repainted instead of replaced. We did not want to pick up the bike with that defect, and god knows it would have taken months and months for a new tank to arrive. The new paint on the tank is done right, really makes it a bit more obvious how bad Indian's paint is when you compare our tank to a stock one sitting next to it.

Mike, does the paint job on your tank make the fenders on your bike look bad enough to make a difference like it does sitting next to a OEM paint job next to it?
Do they need to be matched up to the new paint standard? :eek:

·
Registered
227 Posts
So, the gas tank "defective weld" is likely also the cause of the gas tank paint issues? If so I'm curious why it seems to only be affecting RED Scouts and not the other colors too..

Also, did someone mention hearing a whistling sound from around the tank? Another related issue??

·
2,354 Posts
Mike, does the paint job on your tank make the fenders on your bike look bad enough to make a difference like it does sitting next to a OEM paint job next to it?
Do they need to be matched up to the new paint standard? :eek:
If you look, or feel, you can tell that the tank is smoother than the fenders. It's not something you would really see unless you knew to compare them. The fenders have a very slight orange peel at just the right angle. The tank does not.

·
2,354 Posts
So, the gas tank "defective weld" is likely also the cause of the gas tank paint issues? If so I'm curious why it seems to only be affecting RED Scouts and not the other colors too..

Also, did someone mention hearing a whistling sound from around the tank? Another related issue??
Perhaps the red scouts were the first ones off the line?

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Not related, the tank is venting, happens from time to time on mine. Pop the fill cap and it stops.

·
10,006 Posts

I once had a mystery whistle on the Honda Superhawk that seemed to be from around the tank!
After much worrying about it and numerous inspections, after about a year I finally found the source of the whistle.

The bottom of the ball ends of the clutch and brake levers had a flat spot with a casting hole about 1/4 inch across and 1/4 inch deep.
The angle of dangle air flow over the hole cause a very loud and shrill whistle!
It was the source of the noise!

Some silicon in the holes stopped the whistle.

I bought a wooden whistle.... but it wooden whistle!:(
I bought a steel whistle... it steel wooden whistle! :(
I bought a tin whistle.... NOW I tin whistle! :D

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If they are replacing tanks it must be a serious enough issue! o_O

There might only be a small leak possibility caused by a bad weld, but dripping gas on top of a hot engine might lead me to think it was a safety issue!

Maybe they will notify us in time to let us know what the problem is before we have to read about a tank failure on this forum?
But looking at the bright side of the problem... they haven't yet contacted the owners to park the bike until tanks are replaced! :eek::eek::oops:
Not really. Gilroy replaced my entire rear fender due to bad paint prep. I've had entire chrome pieces recalled for a bad weld that wouldn't chrome over properly. It could simply be the fix costs more than it does to send out a new, correct tank. I wouldn't jump to conclusions as to the severity of what may or may not happen.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts