Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Scout is a first-run bike #69. As such, the coolant is now roughly 5 years old and, according to the service info, is due for a coolant change. The bike has only has 3,500 miles to date. Question is; How involved is a coolant change? I like to do as much of my own work as possible, but was wondering if the system needs to be pressurized or "charged" by a dealer in order to function properly. Thank you in advance for any responses.

·
Registered
237 Posts
2015-16 service manual says Remove radiator cover fasteners. Slide radiator cover down to disengage upper radiator mounts. Remove the coolant return hose from the oil cooler assembly to drain the coolant. Pressure test before and after servicing cooling system. Reconnect coolant return hose to oil cooler assembly.Install radiator cover. Remove seat and fuel tank. Remove cooling system pressure cap. Use pinch pliers to pinch off coolant line between coolant reservoir and thermostat housing. Install a cooling system vacuum bleeder on the pressure cap opening to create a vacuum in the cooling system. Using vacuum bleeder draw in coolant to fill the system. Remove vacuum bleeder and install pressure cap. Remove pinch pliers, Add coolant until reservoir is 1/2 full. Install gas tank. Run engine until cooling fan cycles on and off. Recheck coolant level in reservoir and add to the full cold mark. Repeat fill/bleed procedure until coolant level in reservoir remains at full cold level.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts