Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had my brakes bled today at sin city.....nice job...cleaned up a surprisingly dirty bike...about a 1/2 hour to complete the recall. no charge of course.

·
Rider
401 Posts
Revisiting this thread to see if anyone else has had an issue with Scout brake front brake failure. I had the recall service done a few a months ago on my '18, or at least it was supposed to be done. I had no issue with the brake before the service or in the months afterward. However, late last week used the bike for the first time in about a month and the front brake handle had no resistance and no braking action at all. Closing the brake handle a few times brought some resistance and some braking action back. Checked the fluid levels in the reservoir, all good. Deemed it not roadworthy, and will be take the bike back to dealer for service. Was curious to see if anyone else has had a complete brake failure, front or year, and if just bleeding was enough to fix it or if more involved work needs to be done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, I took mine in for the recall. They have issues with bleeding them. They finally bled and now can't get the new fluid in?? I don't really know. They've had it for a week and the way they communicate with Indian is ridiculous. The shop doesn't seem to know what to do and they have to message them on the Indian site. What a crock of nonsense. No trust in this dealer at all.

·
Rider
401 Posts
Well, I took mine in for the recall. They have issues with bleeding them. They finally bled and now can't get the new fluid in?? I don't really know. They've had it for a week and the way they communicate with Indian is ridiculous. The shop doesn't seem to know what to do and they have to message them on the Indian site. What a crock of nonsense. No trust in this dealer at all.
My visit went alot quicker but not with a happy ending. They bled the brakes and they seem to work OK now. Told them I had purchased Indian's extended warranty which has a couple of years left on it. Bleeding brakes is an explicitly covered service on my copy of the warranty documents. Coverage denied by dealer. Not covered by any recall either. Cost: dinner for five at a decent restaurant with drinks and desert. Hour and half job, plus charges for cleaning supplies and etc. I paid it to get the bike back but am escalating this with Indian and we will see what happens. Maybe just some error by someone not well informed. My credit card company will back me in this if it becomes a dispute, but I would hate to have to go that route and the have to go to another dealer further away for future repairs. Hopefully there will be a happy ending eventually. And hopefully the brakes do not fail again, which is more important anyway.

·
Registered
403 Posts
My visit went alot quicker but not with a happy ending. They bled the brakes and they seem to work OK now. Told them I had purchased Indian's extended warranty which has a couple of years left on it. Bleeding brakes is an explicitly covered service on my copy of the warranty documents. Coverage denied by dealer. Not covered by any recall either. Cost: dinner for five at a decent restaurant with drinks and desert. Hour and half job, plus charges for cleaning supplies and etc. I paid it to get the bike back but am escalating this with Indian and we will see what happens. Maybe just some error by someone not well informed. My credit card company will back me in this if it becomes a dispute, but I would hate to have to go that route and the have to go to another dealer further away for future repairs. Hopefully there will be a happy ending eventually. And hopefully the brakes do not fail again, which is more important anyway.
there ya go, if they dont want to honor it just tell them you will take it up with indian corporate and the nhtsa

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,094 Posts
I got that notice in the mail months ago and I went out and tested my brakes. I literally stood on them, activating my ABS several times and they performed flawlessly. So I never bothered to take mine in for the recall.

·
Rider
401 Posts
PM
I got that notice in the mail months ago and I went out and tested my brakes. I literally stood on them, activating my ABS several times and they performed flawlessly. So I never bothered to take mine in for the recall.
Glad yours are working ok. I had no issues with mine in the 2 1/2 years i have had it since new..until last week. Had not rode in 2 weeks, go to take it out, and discover i had nothing up front. The failure apparently can come randomly and unexpectedly, it may not be one that develops slowly giving warning.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello all. It's my understanding that the Scout brake recall only affects models with ABS. Has anyone with a non-ABS model experienced the same problem (loss of brake pressure)? If so, please post it here so we can try to get Indian to address the issue. I've already had to bleed my rear brakes twice.

·
Registered
Springfield Dark Horse
186 Posts
What was changed in 2019 that supposedly fixed it?

Is it an ABS issue?

Mine is a 20 is why I ask.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I agree. Mine is a 20 as well. I know they made some rotor changes and I think the caliper is different but what else was done?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I agree. Mine is a 20 as well. I know they made some rotor changes and I think the caliper is different but what else was done?
I remember reading a article when the 2020’s came out that listed a few of the upgrades. The rotors and calipers as you stated were changed. Supposedly though the master cylinders were also changed. I paid close attention to this when I went to purchase my bike, and was able to compare on the showroom floor against a older model. You could fool me that they were changed, upon visual inspection they looked to be the same part. Maybe the change was internal. It would be easy enough to find of for sure though by looking it up by part number.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts