Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm new here, but have been ghosting for a while because I'm in the market for a new bike and trying to decide between 2 options. At the risk of starting a Harley vs Indian thread...

I've narrowed it down to either a Scout Bobber, or a Dyna Fat Bob (103ci).

My nearest Indian dealer is about 3 hours drive away and doesn't have any Scouts in stock (and said they probably won't again until early next year) so a test ride at this stage is out of the question. So I'm hoping to hear from those who've ridden both.

Totally get I'm asking which is better on an Indian forum, but as the Polaris' version of the Scout is fairly new I think it's more likely Dyna riders have crossed over rather than the other way around.

Anyway, I'm particularly interested in hearing how the 2 bikes compare in terms of -
  • handling
  • passing power

I live in a state where there are a lot of single-lane twistys, so these two factors are key.

Oh, and about me - mid 30's with a few years riding experience, my current ride is a Yamaha MT07.

Any insight is appreciated!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should really ride both.
The Scout handles much better, weighs 150 lbs less and has more hp, and is MUCH quicker.

I have owned both bikes, and currently own 2 Scouts.

Amazing bike. Love the versatility, as well.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I do wish I could test ride both, but I don't have access to any Dynas, or Scouts unfortunately!

The thing that concerns me a bit with the Scout is it has a fair bit less torque than the Dyna. Having said that, the Scout actually has as much torque as the 96 Fatboy I used to own, which I didn't find to be lacking, so there is that. I guess the concern is with a lot of mountain roads around here, I'd be working the gears more on the Scout...

How did you find the torque difference between the two?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Both bikes have plenty of power. I have had my Scout up in the WV mountains and it pulls all the hills just fine even in high gear. I am very surprised by how the bike pulls in high gear, If i'm cruising along is 6th gear at 55mph i can accelerate around a car without down shifting (its more fun to drop a gear though). I would cross power off my list for both bikes and look at other details for your decision.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Both bikes have plenty of power. I have had my Scout up in the WV mountains and it pulls all the hills just fine even in high gear. I am very surprised by how the bike pulls in high gear, If i'm cruising along is 6th gear at 55mph i can accelerate around a car without down shifting (its more fun to drop a gear though). I would cross power off my list for both bikes and look at other details for your decision.
Cool, great to know, thank you. Yes, apart from power and handling I have been considering things like aftermarket parts availability. Obviously that's in favour of the Dyna, but I feel like the Scout has been around long enough now that there are options for all the things I'd do to either bikes - seat, bars, exhaust etc.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience. I do wish I could test ride both, but I don't have access to any Dynas, or Scouts unfortunately!

The thing that concerns me a bit with the Scout is it has a fair bit less torque than the Dyna. Having said that, the Scout actually has as much torque as the 96 Fatboy I used to own, which I didn't find to be lacking, so there is that. I guess the concern is with a lot of mountain roads around here, I'd be working the gears more on the Scout...

How did you find the torque difference between the two?
It's MUCH quicker. Trust me.

Liquid cooled. Better reliability. Cheaper!
Bought a used one for $5000.
There are always deals off season!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's MUCH quicker. Trust me.

Liquid cooled. Better reliability. Cheaper!
Bought a used one for $5000.
There are always deals off season!
Yes definitely the liquid cooled/reliability factor is a big one.

Over here in Aus, the prices aren't too much different between a used Dyna or new Scout Bobber - I say new because there are very few used Bobbers on the market, so I think I'd have to look at new.

Also, curious if you've ridden any of the M8 Softail range and could compare to the Bobber?

·
Rider
1,413 Posts
The Scout is a beautiful daily driver, but it's sneaky fast...

just driving around normally, it's extremely capable, but Scout won't "feel fast" until you get up @ 5000-5500 rpms...

but when you get up there, please hang on tight because it will fkn scream up to 8200rpms with little effort...

In 3rd gear at 7000rpms you will feel a rush that you will never get from a Dyno...

·
Registered
411 Posts
You’re coming off of an MT07, and you say handling matters.

You’re making the hop from a sporty naked bike to a cruiser. That’s a switch that makes it very difficult to compare by reading reviews. A reviewer swinghing his leg over an MT07 is mentally comparing it to a Speed Triple and a Monster and a few naked Hondas. A reviewer riding a Dyna or a Scout is not thinking about those bikes.

Cruisers pull at a very wide range of engine speeds, but while my Roadmaster sounds and feels great at 3000 rpm, I hardly ever let my 955i Daytona’s engine get that low on the tach. Spin it above 4000 and while you hear and feel a lot of fun, you won’t hear or feel as much as on a cruiser but you’ll be going much faster. The Roadmaster‘s weight disappears once you get rolling, but in actual handling terms, while it’s great for a cruiser, the same rider will be able to go quite a bit faster with the same or maybe even less effort on a naked bike or sportbike.

It’s not that one style (spring it for HP, or gobs of torque everywhere) is better than the other, it’s just a different kind of riding, the way classical violin relates to a bluegrass fiddle.

All of that is background to asking if you’ve ever ridden any cruiser? If not, you need to do so to give yourself the necessary context to read and interpret reviews of the Bobber or Dyna. Cruisers are quite a bit different. Feet forward is a lot different from your MT07. Find a way to spend some non-trivial time on a cruiser, any cruiser. When I was a dyed-in-the-carbon-fiber sport bike guy, I rode a very feet-forward Suzuki cruiser. Did NOTHING for me. A few years later, I spent an hour on a Kawasaki. Much better.

If you’ve done that, great, but if not it will be time incredibly well spent. Then repeat your research.

Then go buy the Scout.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
No Question I think the Scout would be more suited for what you want .. I have owned a Scout and still presently own a Dyna Super Glide because have become attached and done more work and put more money in it that it's worth and my son is waiting on it to be his one day .. My Dyna is a Stage II Cammed with Andrews TW21's which really pulls it out of the hole designed with Low to Mid Range Torque Add the Bassani 2:1 Exhaust gave it more Horsepower over the Stock Straight Shots even with all this extra at best might come out of the perhaps 500 feet ahead of the Scout then after that Good Bye as the Scout pulls ahead .. :) Did a lot of work to my Scout as well but some of the work can't be seen like the Tuner, and most expensive the Front Suspension which was terrible on the First Run Scouts in 2015 ..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No Question I think the Scout would be more suited for what you want .. I have owned a Scout and still presently own a Dyna Super Glide because have become attached and done more work and put more money in it that it's worth and my son is waiting on it to be his one day .. My Dyna is a Stage II Cammed with Andrews TW21's which really pulls it out of the hole designed with Low to Mid Range Torque Add the Bassani 2:1 Exhaust gave it more Horsepower over the Stock Straight Shots even with all this extra at best might come out of the perhaps 500 feet ahead of the Scout then after that Good Bye as the Scout pulls ahead .. :) Did a lot of work to my Scout as well but some of the work can't be seen like the Tuner, and most expensive the Front Suspension which was terrible on the First Run Scouts in 2015 ..
Cool, thanks for sharing, Jay. I've been happy hearing about the performance of the Scout, and definitely leaning towards it as the overall more versatile package.

Nice bikes you have there!

·
Rider
1,413 Posts
The Scout will have a power band more like the MT07 than the Dyna...

Reactions: CatShadow

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Scout is a beautiful daily driver, but it's sneaky fast...

just driving around normally, it's extremely capable, but Scout won't "feel fast" until you get up @ 5000-5500 rpms...

but when you get up there, please hang on tight because it will fkn scream up to 8200rpms with little effort...

In 3rd gear at 7000rpms you will feel a rush that you will never get from a Dyno...
Good to know - the versatility of the bike is a key factor for me. I'm looking to get a cruiser that's good for a daily drive, but also for twistys on a weekend, with a bit of highway mixed in.

I was looking at Vrods too, but by all accounts the Scout has similar power/weight ratios but also handles better...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You’re coming off of an MT07, and you say handling matters.

You’re making the hop from a sporty naked bike to a cruiser. That’s a switch that makes it very difficult to compare by reading reviews. A reviewer swinghing his leg over an MT07 is mentally comparing it to a Speed Triple and a Monster and a few naked Hondas. A reviewer riding a Dyna or a Scout is not thinking about those bikes.

Cruisers pull at a very wide range of engine speeds, but while my Roadmaster sounds and feels great at 3000 rpm, I hardly ever let my 955i Daytona’s engine get that low on the tach. Spin it above 4000 and while you hear and feel a lot of fun, you won’t hear or feel as much as on a cruiser but you’ll be going much faster. The Roadmaster‘s weight disappears once you get rolling, but in actual handling terms, while it’s great for a cruiser, the same rider will be able to go quite a bit faster with the same or maybe even less effort on a naked bike or sportbike.

It’s not that one style (spring it for HP, or gobs of torque everywhere) is better than the other, it’s just a different kind of riding, the way classical violin relates to a bluegrass fiddle.

All of that is background to asking if you’ve ever ridden any cruiser? If not, you need to do so to give yourself the necessary context to read and interpret reviews of the Bobber or Dyna. Cruisers are quite a bit different. Feet forward is a lot different from your MT07. Find a way to spend some non-trivial time on a cruiser, any cruiser. When I was a dyed-in-the-carbon-fiber sport bike guy, I rode a very feet-forward Suzuki cruiser. Did NOTHING for me. A few years later, I spent an hour on a Kawasaki. Much better.

If you’ve done that, great, but if not it will be time incredibly well spent. Then repeat your research.

Then go buy the Scout.
Thanks HiDesert. I did leave out a key bit of info in my original post, and that's I used to own a 96 Fatboy. So I do have experience riding cruisers. For a bit more context, I had the Fatboy for a couple of years - I'd always wanted a big HD cruiser - but found it just wasn't suited to the kind of riding I do. Heavy, with single-piston disc up front, limited power...yeah yeah I know, what did I expect?...but I'd always wanted one so at least now I know.

Since then, I've gotten the MT07, and I love the power/torque, but finding the riding position isn't great for me. That's not a knock on the 07, it's a great bike, but my hips/legs aren't what they used to be.

So, what'd be ideal for me is a bike that has the good elements of both - a cruiser with feet-forward controls, but still has the grunt I'm used to on the 07. I don't ride hard by any means, but like knowing I have the power there on-tap if I need to overtake a vehicle quickly and safely. I don't think I'll be pushing the limits of the Scout's handling either, but I do like that the newer models are coming out with cartridge front suspension.

With no 2020 models left, and my dealer taking orders for 2021 Scouts...it's tempting, I've got a bit to think about!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Scout will have a power band more like the MT07 than the Dyna...
It's interesting you say that. After doing some crude calculations, it looks like power to weight and torque to weight are very very similar ratios on both the 07 and Scout.

No doubt engine characteristics come in to play too, where the delivery is of power and torque, but I did find that stat interesting.

·
Rider
1,413 Posts
It's interesting you say that. After doing some crude calculations, it looks like power to weight and torque to weight are very very similar ratios on both the 07 and Scout.

No doubt engine characteristics come in to play too, where the delivery is of power and torque, but I did find that stat interesting.
I didn't believe it at first, but the Scout and Bobber redline at 8200rpms 😳

it "feels" like it has a sport bike heart, but with a lot more grunt than a sport bike down low 🤘🏼😏

Reactions: JayFL459

·
Bronze member
1,213 Posts
Good to know - the versatility of the bike is a key factor for me. I'm looking to get a cruiser that's good for a daily drive, but also for twistys on a weekend, with a bit of highway mixed in.

I was looking at Vrods too, but by all accounts the Scout has similar power/weight ratios but also handles better...
Yeah. Pretty much what I do. Commute. Twisty. 1000 mile solo tours. Some slabs but not a lot.

One caution - if you buy a bobber you should be very sure of the different ergos from the Scout & 60. Much less commute and tour friendly. I loved it in my first ride but after careful thought I really needed the non-bobber ergos for my intended use.

Maybe you already know. But often enough people consider the Bobber on looks alone.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah. Pretty much what I do. Commute. Twisty. 1000 mile solo tours. Some slabs but not a lot.

One caution - if you buy a bobber you should be very sure of the different ergos from the Scout & 60. Much less commute and tour friendly. I loved it in my first ride but after careful thought I really needed the non-bobber ergos for my intended use.

Maybe you already know. But often enough people consider the Bobber on looks alone.
Yeah agree - looks like it's definitely a compromise of style over function with the Bobber. I'm thinking I'd probably change the seat out anyway, to something like a Mustang, and also I'd possibly change the bars or put risers on there, which should address some of the ergo issues.

I know what you mean though, almost every review on the Bobber mentions how awesome it looks, but that the looks come with a trade-off in comfort!

·
Rider
731 Posts
It’s almost like everyone says. The bobber has the look Appel that not many bike are able to accomplish from a stock bike but like other say it comes with some compromises. Depending how heavy you are the stock suspensions isn’t to bad but the lean angle is what sucks. And as far as power goes it’s in another class when it comes to “cruiser power” it can keep up with the 600cc sport bikes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It’s almost like everyone says. The bobber has the look Appel that not many bike are able to accomplish from a stock bike but like other say it comes with some compromises. Depending how heavy you are the stock suspensions isn’t to bad but the lean angle is what sucks. And as far as power goes it’s in another class when it comes to “cruiser power” it can keep up with the 600cc sport bikes.
I like what I'm hearing about the power on the Scouts, for sure.

When it comes to suspension, I'm budgeting to change the rear shocks out anyway - so I'm thinking that will address some of the comfort issues, and at the same time, may increase lean angle a bit (y)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts