Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently looking at the Scout Bobber but the suspension, to me, seems very stiff.

Any recommendations on aftermarket suspension that will fit? Have any people replaced their stock suspension on the bobber?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Plenty of options for the Regular Scout and Scout 60, but the bobber is brand new and uses some different suspension parts... It might be hard to soften that limited 2" rear travel, and a sprung seat might be a partial solution.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was chatting to a guy on Youtube who said he fitted babyback shocks on his new bobber, so I assumed that the Progressive 970 babyback shocks would fit the bobber. He said it made a big difference, even with the limited suspension travel.

I contacted Progressive, who said that they haven't tested their shocks on a Bobber, so can't confirm nor deny if it will fit correctly.

I thought people here might have experience of same or other options. :)

Once I get delivery, and get used to the bike, then I will look at replacing the saddle and shock options.

·
Registered
955 Posts
if I had a Bobber (and I love the look) first thing I would do would be to recover the lost rear suspension travel. I think you're at the cutting edge and noone has done this yet, so you're the trailblazer! I think the first step would be to ask your dealer if the standard rear setup (ie. for 61 & 69 Scouts) could be retrofitted to your Bobber. I think that should be possible in which case you have all the 61 /69 aftermarket options as well as Scout's own. You may want to try different seats but you're behind the game until you get back that rear travel.

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
Springer seat did the trick for me. Part of the bikes appeal to me was the low suspension.

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
Springer seat did the trick for me. Part of the bikes appeal to me was the low suspension. In (ahem) aggressive riding I was bottoming out on harsh bumps. Seat fixed that. I’d love more lean angle, but not enough to raise the bike.

Guess I just need a SS for that kind of ride... Hello RSV4 RR. :cool:

·
Registered
955 Posts
Springer seat did the trick for me. Part of the bikes appeal to me was the low suspension. In (ahem) aggressive riding I was bottoming out on harsh bumps. Seat fixed that. I’d love more lean angle, but not enough to raise the bike.

Guess I just need a SS for that kind of ride... Hello RSV4 RR. :cool:
you have a Bobber, I have a sixty so you're better placed than me to comment. We all have our parameters set differently, and that's part of the fun. I hope IrishPW finds his solution ...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the dealer adjusted the rear suspension to give it a lot more travel. That has given it a lot better feel. The concern they have is that it would bottom out. That hasn't happened yet. They have said that they talked to a few aftermarket suppliers who have said it will be Jan or Feb when they will have proper alternates for the standard seat available. I can live with things until then.

The springer seat does sound like a step in the right direction though. I'm not an overly aggressive rider, despite the power the bike has.

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
To be honest, a springer takes some getting used to in very aggressive cornering; particularly in chicanes. The springs allow for some side to side movement which can be disconcerting at first. It was all for the looks for me on this bike - I wanted the old school nod. The extra suspension was a bonus.

·
Diamond member
9,055 Posts
To be honest, a springer takes some getting used to in very aggressive cornering; particularly in chicanes. The springs allow for some side to side movement which can be disconcerting at first. It was all for the looks for me on this bike - I wanted the old school nod. The extra suspension was a bonus.
+1
They look cool but the movement of them has always been a very odd proposal in some situations.. like when shifting weight for ideal lines leans and angle change.
To add, I also felt a "disconnect" from the tires..
On the later,,, and not trying to be a perv, (don't need to try) I feel the best and most accurate analogy is sex with a condom. Lol

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A perv? Excuse me, I'm from holy Catholic Ireland - sex is only for procreation. :p What's a condom?

I think I'd just prefer a solid seat (no springs), but with a deeper and better cushion, to give a bit more comfort. I like the look of the standard seat, but just not it's comfort.

·
Diamond member
9,055 Posts
A perv? Excuse me, I'm from holy Catholic Ireland - sex is only for procreation. :p What's a condom?

I think I'd just prefer a solid seat (no springs), but with a deeper and better cushion, to give a bit more comfort. I like the look of the standard seat, but just not it's comfort.
What I did was put slight forward lean via handle bars, my awful seat became heaven. (Also made wind a non issue)
It got my tail bone off the scoop.. if I were to keep stock bars, I would have gotten a straighter seat, to get off tail, and to allow some room to shift around a bit to relieve tired areas..

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
Well, I’m not racing any super sports through the twisties, just pushing my luck and wearing the feeler pegs down. The thing just looks so good I’ll live with a little sway. The Mother Road Customs seat just looks great, and it’s very comfortable.

·
Rider
628 Posts
Well, I’m not racing any super sports through the twisties, just pushing my luck and wearing the feeler pegs down. The thing just looks so good I’ll live with a little sway. The Mother Road Customs seat just looks great, and it’s very comfortable.
What size is your seat. Also how many inches on those lil springs. Sorry for not knowing right terminology.

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
The seat measures 15" wide by 14"" long. The studs in the rear are 7" apart. The springs are 4”.

·
Rider
628 Posts
I wish these would fit for the Bobber. I'm going to email Ohlins to see if they're doing any testing on these.

Did Öhlins say they don’t fit. Cuz the same fox shock that you can upgrade to on the regular scout are the same fox shocks that you can upgrade on the bobber. From the dealer. I was hoping it’d b the same for the Öhlins

·
Registered
437 Posts
Did Öhlins say they don’t fit. Cuz the same fox shock that you can upgrade to on the regular scout are the same fox shocks that you can upgrade on the bobber. From the dealer. I was hoping it’d b the same for the Öhlins
I contacted ohloms and the Bonner shocks are shorter than the other Scout models by 2". These won't fit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 62 Posts