Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I just did my first few rides on my new Scout Bobber... so as expected known issue is there the suppression sucks I've got a feeling of the suppression absence getting all road bumps to my back.
Guys, please share your experience, what benefits may Progressive 970 and Performance Fox shocks give comparing to 444 model? I understand it can be adjusted but how does it work in real life usage, bumps and road feeling, etc.

My riding style is going to be 80% of city and 20% of mid range rides 300-500 miles range. My weight with gears and saddle bags is about 230+ lbs also I think to install passenger seat for occasional short rides with a passenger 130+ lbs.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have been running the Indian Fox shocks on my 2015 Scout. They work very well. The bumps are filtered out from my backbone quite a bit better than the stockers. I do not think I have ever bottomed them out due in part to the progressive-wound springs. These shocks have a simple one-piece preload nut that can be adjusted at any time with the included tool. No need to unlock a keeper nut.

·
Registered
112 Posts
A member recently installed the Ohlins ST36 (I believe) as well. You have more options then you make think. Any “Scout” shocks should work.

·
Registered
155 Posts
RaceTech worked for me very well on front fork mod and back shocks. Scroll down on this page Race Tech Cruiser - New

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have the Ohlins STX36 shocks on my Bobber, just adjust them to their shortest (length adjustable). You can find more info in the other Bobber shock thread or my YouTube video. No issues yet and I am very happy with them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Firstly I've softened OEM rear shocks to its maximum it improved the ride smoothness a lot so most of us can start and stay with that simple solution.
Finally I've upgraded rear OEM shocks to Progressive 444 that solution gave me definitely better ride feeling on bumps but comparing to adjusted OEM the difference is not so huge I can not say "day and night" improvement.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Firstly I've softened OEM rear shocks to its maximum .
Not yet having a Scout Bobber, do you mean the springs? ie. lengthen them to their max for more cushion effect. Or is there a way to soften the shocks on the Bobber?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Not yet having a Scout Bobber, do you mean the springs? ie. lengthen them to their max for more cushion effect. Or is there a way to soften the shocks on the Bobber?
I think he means to loosen or lengthen the springs. Only issue with this solution is you may bottom out the shocks on bigger bumps depending on your weight. When you get you bobber have the dealer setup the preload on the shocks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I spoke with the guys at Pro Action at Thunder on the strip. They have made shocks for the scout but you must call and order, they don’t stock them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think he means to loosen or lengthen the springs. Only issue with this solution is you may bottom out the shocks on bigger bumps depending on your weight. When you get you bobber have the dealer setup the preload on the shocks.
You right I've loosen the springs to its maximum length but it should correlate to the body weight.

·
Registered
25 Posts
we just had the Fox shocks put on the wife's Bobber. Absolutely transformed the suspension. I can't comment on other aftermarket shocks but I would certainly recommend the Fox's. They are worth every cent for us.

Easy to adjust to different riders or conditions. Smoothed out bumps so much that some of the smaller ones I hit I wasn't even sure I actually hit them..... Makes me wish I could get some for my V rod.

·
Registered
112 Posts
we just had the Fox shocks put on the wife's Bobber. Absolutely transformed the suspension. I can't comment on other aftermarket shocks but I would certainly recommend the Fox's. They are worth every cent for us.

Easy to adjust to different riders or conditions. Smoothed out bumps so much that some of the smaller ones I hit I wasn't even sure I actually hit them..... Makes me wish I could get some for my V rod.

I’ve heard quite a few great things about the Fox shocks. That being said, I’m hesistant to spend $900 on a Shock without an external reservoir. Now that we know the Ohlins fit, why not get a set for essentially the same price.

Reactions: MeatballRebel

·
Rider
721 Posts
I’ve heard quite a few great things about the Fox shocks. That being said, I’m hesistant to spend $900 on a Shock without an external reservoir. Now that we know the Ohlins fit, why not get a set for essentially the same price.
Only thing stopping me from ohlins is I want the black line version (blacked out one) and for some reason those are like 1/2” longer then regular ones. And already as is the regular aren’t technically for the scout bobber they just fit on the bobber and do raise the bike a bit(still a much better shock). I don’t mind the raised a bit because I also say that YouTube video but if the black ones are Gona be a tad bit higher we’ll idk that I want to go that high.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Only thing stopping me from ohlins is I want the black line version (blacked out one) and for some reason those are like 1/2” longer then regular ones. And already as is the regular aren’t technically for the scout bobber they just fit on the bobber and do raise the bike a bit(still a much better shock). I don’t mind the raised a bit because I also say that YouTube video but if the black ones are Gona be a tad bit higher we’ll idk that I want to go that high.
The Fox shocks are the same part # for both Scout and Scout Bobber. So “technically” it will do the same as the Ohlins for the regular Scout. I also wish the blackline were available in the same size. Personally, I just value the performance per dollar more than the color of the product.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Another thing to consider is warranty. I know the pro action are lifetime warranty, what about ohlins, ktech and fox? And what do the warranties cover? Are the ktech Razor IV worth $1200? I’m interested to know. I’m going to do some research on the different brands.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts