Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Am looking at purchasing a new Bobber so have been reading everything I possibly could on the forum however still have some concerns which would be awesome if I could get some help/feedback on please.

Taking the bike out for some test rides I fell in love with the engine however there are a couple of pure deal breakers for me. Firstly my current bike is a Ninja 250 which I've been riding on and off over the last eight years, with less and less of recent as I find that I've out grown the bike many years ago and my old man bones are really starting to feel the pain of the ergo's after 45 minutes or so (for ref, 29 years old, roughly 85 kgs).

The first issue I had with the Bobber was the god awful stock seat. Being roughly 180cm I find that sitting on the bike I'm stretching out hands and legs so find I sit in a bit of a 'C' shape which coupled with the seat I find a massive amount of pressure on the base of my spine (the equally terrible suspension really doesn't help this issue). Literally in agony after 25 - 30 minutes, worse than my terrible 'sport' bike. I've looked high and low for an alternative, including Indian's 1920 seat, however there didn't seem to be any options available for the next couple of months until I found Corbin makes a replacement seat. Reading up everything I could on Corbin's I found that most people seemed to like them so barring any other options, I think I've found a potential winner. Curious though if anyone around here is riding with a Corbin on either a Bobber or any other bike and if so, would you recommend one?

The second thing I find truly terrible is the suspension, I'm not sure if this is a cruiser thing in general or not but how do you guys possibly live with that crap? I found that going over even the smallest of bumps in the road or things like tram tracks would feel like someone's taking a full swing at my arse with a pile of bricks. Just crazy painful to the point where I'm questioning whether I should be proceeding with my bike purchase. In saying that I know the suspension topic has been done to death on the board and I'm pretty sure I've read almost every one of those threads however my brains now getting confused as I recall most if not all of those threads were specific to the Scout, so curious if anyone has had any luck with fixing the suspension with the Bobber and if so, does the 1" of reduced travel on the Bobber hinder your product in any way? I'm currently talking to DarkScout as I know most of you rave about his custom shocks however neither of us can recall whether anyone's actually put them on the Bobber and if so, whether they've been successful or not. Would love some feedback on any solutions you Bobber owners have found to fix the suspension.

Thanks

·
Registered
955 Posts
The second thing I find truly terrible is the suspension, I'm not sure if this is a cruiser thing in general or not
it is a cruiser thing, cruisers tend to have less rear suspension travel than normally proportioned bikes, and 'adventure' bikes take it a whole level further. This is because cruisers are designed to be low anyway, and belt drive doesn't allow the same range of swingarm deflection - belts don't like operating with slack, whereas chains are happy with huge amounts of slack.

having said that you're looking at the Bobber. Regular Scout has 3" travel and Bobber loses an inch in something that is at the limit for practical purposes anyway. I haven't seen anyone replace Bobber rear suspension to get back the missing inch, but that is the first thing I would do. I ride a sixty with stock rear suspension and I find it not bad for stock suspension. It is firm and way underdamped, so you get the pogo effect on big bumps. IMO any of the rear suspension replacements on this forum will sort out the damping and give a range of firmness to suit. I can't see why you shouldn't give back Bobber the 3" travel, ask your dealer for definitive answer.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Honestly - I have a hard time understanding everyone's issues with the bobber seat and suspension. I'm 6' and 200 lbs and don't have any real complaints. I find the stock rear suspension no better or worse than any other. For the OP, you may want to adjust the rear shock preload to get a more compliant ride. The rear seat is a little stiff out of the box but it will break in. Also, this bike isn't designed as a long hauler, it's for short hops around town or short trips. As other have said the mini apes may help with ergonomic issues. Frankly, after reading your initial post my thought was maybe the bobber isn't for you and you should consider a regular scout/scout 60.

·
Rider
721 Posts
Same here I’ve had the bobber for a month now and never had a problem with the seat. Only time I had a problem is when I road for more then 1 hour. I kinda know what you mean on going over hard bumps. But to b honest I was expetting that. The way I compare this bike is like a lowered car. Sure you probably gona scrap a lil but to you it’s worth it cuz the car looks SOO nice!!! Same goes with the bobber. Sure the seat might not b as comfortably but it’s a solo seat and looks badass and the suspension is lowered and might not feel as good over the hard bumps BUT the bike looks badass. I’m used to giving up comfort for style but to b Honest this is an upgrade from my Gsxr 600 because of the sitting position. I feel a lil more relaxed but with the foot pegs a lil closer compared to the regular scout it’s not too relaxed. This bike is not really for long trips more like city cruzin, but OMG I get SOOOOO many compliments on my bike for all kinds of different people and it breaks so many necks with people turning around to check it out as I pass by.

And yea Corbin would b the way to go for comfort the 1920 solo seat or any other solo seat would just b for looks. I plan on getting a solo seat down the road and I know it might not feel as comfy but once again it’s gona look badass.... lol
I’m 31yrs / 190lbs / 5”10
Ps. You don’t have a signal old bone in your body.... 29yrs you still hella young and got lotta time left to ride

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys,

Thanks for all your replies and feedback, much appreciated!

@thegent - Unfortunately of the three dealers in my state, all of them are completely useless and haven't been able to answer a single question so far so trying to do the research on my own.

@reinie - Really don't like the look of the sprung seats so hoping the Corbin does the job for comfort. Handlebar risers and mini apes aren't available at the moment as all Aussie models come with ABS and there's currently no Indian/Polaris endorsed solution for fixing the issue with the short brake line... apparently the stock brake line isn't long enough to make it into the ABS module with apes and no one's thought of replacing the line with a longer one. Again, I can't seem to get a clear answer from the dealer on how long the new line would have to be otherwise I'd just order the damn thing myself. Agreed on the bike ergo's, I wouldn't want to mess with the geometry to avoid making things worse.

@AngryNeutron - Fair, it probably isn't if the bike was designed specifically for those intentions, ie. a 20 minute squirt around town. Unfortunately though the bike also happens to be the only cruiser available to me with awesome performance and aesthetically pleasing as I'm looking for a more midsize cruiser that's light and has nice torque. The only other bike I've been able to find is the XDiavel however running at anything less than 5k RPM is absolutely rough as guts which I expect I would fix with a tuning, however when I'm spending $35k on a bike, I expect it to be a little more refined. The XDiavel also seems to suffer from a stiff suspension which makes sense now given the above info. Unfortunately the Scout 60 isn't available in Aus and the Scout just looks a little too chunky for me... and from what I've heard, also suffers from similar suspension issues, so not sure how much of a 'fix' it would be.

@Ridin_low - haha good to know, glad you're enjoying your bike! Totally understand and agree that I'm probably expecting something that this bike just isn't built for and to be honest it was exactly the look of it that first caught my eye... I figure thought that with enough money thrown at it, surely there must be a solution :p

@65460 - Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys,

Am looking at purchasing a new Bobber so have been reading everything I possibly could on the forum however still have some concerns which would be awesome if I could get some help/feedback on please.

Taking the bike out for some test rides I fell in love with the engine however there are a couple of pure deal breakers for me. Firstly my current bike is a Ninja 250 which I've been riding on and off over the last eight years, with less and less of recent as I find that I've out grown the bike many years ago and my old man bones are really starting to feel the pain of the ergo's after 45 minutes or so (for ref, 29 years old, roughly 85 kgs).

The first issue I had with the Bobber was the god awful stock seat. Being roughly 180cm I find that sitting on the bike I'm stretching out hands and legs so find I sit in a bit of a 'C' shape which coupled with the seat I find a massive amount of pressure on the base of my spine (the equally terrible suspension really doesn't help this issue). Literally in agony after 25 - 30 minutes, worse than my terrible 'sport' bike. I've looked high and low for an alternative, including Indian's 1920 seat, however there didn't seem to be any options available for the next couple of months until I found Corbin makes a replacement seat. Reading up everything I could on Corbin's I found that most people seemed to like them so barring any other options, I think I've found a potential winner. Curious though if anyone around here is riding with a Corbin on either a Bobber or any other bike and if so, would you recommend one?

The second thing I find truly terrible is the suspension, I'm not sure if this is a cruiser thing in general or not but how do you guys possibly live with that crap? I found that going over even the smallest of bumps in the road or things like tram tracks would feel like someone's taking a full swing at my arse with a pile of bricks. Just crazy painful to the point where I'm questioning whether I should be proceeding with my bike purchase. In saying that I know the suspension topic has been done to death on the board and I'm pretty sure I've read almost every one of those threads however my brains now getting confused as I recall most if not all of those threads were specific to the Scout, so curious if anyone has had any luck with fixing the suspension with the Bobber and if so, does the 1" of reduced travel on the Bobber hinder your product in any way? I'm currently talking to DarkScout as I know most of you rave about his custom shocks however neither of us can recall whether anyone's actually put them on the Bobber and if so, whether they've been successful or not. Would love some feedback on any solutions you Bobber owners have found to fix the suspension.

Thanks
I'm 55 years old and picked up my bobber at the weekend. Sure, it's not the most comfortable bike in the world but I'm going to have some gel put in the seat and then it's a case of riding with an eye for a pothole! If a 55 year can do it, you can! All the best.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’m 48, 6’1” and 220 lbs and I have 300 miles on my bobber but I have to say that stock seat is killing my tailbone. If I take little short trips like 10 minute rides it’s doable but longer rides kill my ass. Also the stock shocks have bottomed out a few times and it hurt. So since I love the bike so much I’m going to go with Progressive 444 shocks and a Corbin seat and that should take care of all that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bought a Bobber in May and loved everything about the bike except the seat. I regularly ride for hours at a time and after 40 min my whole undercarriage would go numb!

Got a Corbin seat and was skeptical if it would help but am so glad I did! Looks awesome and more importantly I can ride for hours plus it helps soak up the bumps a bit so suspensions not an issue.

Regarding Bobber vs Scout/60 suspension was one of the reasons I went with the Bobber as it had proper cartridge forks and shocks (no underdamped bobbing)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts