Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Indian Scout Lovers!

I am considering purchasing an Indian Scout Bobber (2018-ish) and one of the first things I am looking to change out is the V&H stock exhaust system with a Freedom Performance Radical Radius or similar system. After reading several articles and watching videos, it turns out these can be quite loud as with any straight pipe without a muffler. My question is this, if I install quiet baffles with this new exhaust, will this make the sound much quieter? My goal is to have it so my neighbors wont be mad at me or I wont have to wear ear plugs all of the time. I love the look of Radical exhaust system and I would like to stay within that style.

Alternatively, if there are any options to this exhaust system like I am describing, any advise would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
348 Posts
only thing i will say is i wont ever do buisness with freedom. their quality is hit and miss at best, and are well known for some of the worst customer service you will ever have. if that style of exhaust is what you are going for i would look at Dean Speed

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
only thing i will say is i wont ever do buisness with freedom. their quality is hit and miss at best, and are well known for some of the worst customer service you will ever have. if that style of exhaust is what you are going for i would look at Dean Speed
Thanks for the reply, its much appreciated! I will definitely keep this is mind. This is all part of my process, getting feedback, researching, asking questions and processing it all.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I don't think any exhaust system of that type will be anything less than "pretty darn loud" all the time.
There's just no room for any effective baffle. They do look cool.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think any exhaust system of that type will be anything less than "pretty darn loud" all the time.
There's just no room for any effective baffle. They do look cool.
Appreciate the response. I figure if this type of exhaust doesn't work out, I can compromise. Perhaps I will try a short muffler. In addition to my stated goal above, I want to expose more of the rear wheel (strip it down) and it will reduce weight. Those V&H stock pipes are heavy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Agree with above that freedom has absolutely horrific customer service. I bought the combat shorty and while I like the look, quality was average and dealing with them was a nightmare. Beware! Jason

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have V&H with quiet baffles on my scout and that’s a bit of a misnomer. These things are still pretty freakin loud. I’m considering adding more fiberglass wrapping or stuffing some steel wool around the quiet baffles to see if it helps any.

One other thought that might at least keep the neighbors happy... there’s a vendor here that sells “quiet riot” baffles that respond to the exhaust output. That might at least keep it tame under light throttle.

Also you might want to post this in the scout forum.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Vance and hines makes curved baffles that resemble their "quiet baffles", they're just bent to match the curve. Might want to check that the curvature lines up close enough to fit before buying though since they are $50 each. The straight ones apparently are the same as the ones found in crushers so maybe vance and hines sells them separately to use with other pipes (or other pipes are made to use them). Those baffles aren't very "quiet" either, I had to repack them and tinker with the outllet a little. A couple people on here have worked with quietting down crushers in different ways, and they are about the same size internally.

·
Bronze member
1,816 Posts
I have V&H with quiet baffles on my scout and that’s a bit of a misnomer. These things are still pretty freakin loud. I’m considering adding more fiberglass wrapping or stuffing some steel wool around the quiet baffles to see if it helps any.

One other thought that might at least keep the neighbors happy... there’s a vendor here that sells “quiet riot” baffles that respond to the exhaust output. That might at least keep it tame under light throttle.

Also you might want to post this in the scout forum.
Ceramic wrapping will work better and last longer than fiberglass. Steel wool may also be problematic because of rust. Bronze wool might be a better choice.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think he meant for wrapping the baffle inside, not the actual exhaust pipe itself.
Yeah that’s why I was confused. I didn’t come across anything ceramic based for the baffles. A couple of things I did learn... you should use stainless steel wool for exhaust packing. It won’t rust and isn’t made with oil (which is the flammable part). Copper wool is an option but needs to be thicker supposedly. I also came across a company that makes a product called “muff pack” that is a multi-layered solution with stainless steel wool and fiberglass and comes in a kit. I may give that a shot.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Steel wool direct has examples of the ceramic stuff, and you can buy it from lots of places including the major online retailers. It looks very similar to the fiberglass stuff. Most of the options have similar costs so give whichever one you like a shot and see where it goes, I think the multilayer stuff would last longer. You would need some kind of baffle to wrap it around though. Some people on here made their own pretty easily, but I wouldn't know how much it affected performance in the end.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Steel wool direct has examples of the ceramic stuff, and you can buy it from lots of places including the major online retailers. It looks very similar to the fiberglass stuff. Most of the options have similar costs so give whichever one you like a shot and see where it goes, I think the multilayer stuff would last longer. You would need some kind of baffle to wrap it around though. Some people on here made their own pretty easily, but I wouldn't know how much it affected performance in the end.
Yeah that’s who sells the muff pack. They’ve been great about answering questions. Said there’s no significant sound difference between the kit with fiberglass vs ceramic. I have the “quiet” baffles already so I can just re-wrap those and give it a go.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Just to offer another opinion; my 2016 DH has Freedom True Duals, and the quality is excellent. No structural or finish issues whatsoever. And they sound awesome.
As to your exhaust, have you checked with RB Racing? They have a shorty performance pipe called "The Black Hole", which is surprisingly quiet. Had their pipes on previous Harleys; superb quality and performance. Not sure if they make them for Indians though...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I really respect and appreciate the folks who take the time to contribute here. It's valuable for noobs like me. I put on the Freedom Performance Radial (matte black) last month and they're great! No problem working with them and the fit & finish is beautiful. They are a little loud in my apartment parking garage however...but once I'm out on the street it's fine.

·
Registered
2018 Indian Scout Bobber
19 Posts
Appreciate the response. I figure if this type of exhaust doesn't work out, I can compromise. Perhaps I will try a short muffler. In addition to my stated goal above, I want to expose more of the rear wheel (strip it down) and it will reduce weight. Those V&H stock pipes are heavy.
I purchased the gp shorty from radical, i like mine loud but the do offer a baffle, full kit is under 200. I then went with the ss intake and tier 1 tuner. Hope that helps. Found everything on ebay and amazon

1 - 17 of 17 Posts