Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an old short, fat, bald, broke guy. Have been riding since 1966..now near age 70, I run from the Rockies in Alberta to south of San Francisco three times a year to visit my brother in law a Vietnam vet..this is in addition to other touring throughout western Canada, Oregon, Washington. To date my ride has been a loaded Street Glide. I want to downsize...something about getting even older with less strength...I am seriously considering a scout 60 (non bobber) I ride solo only. I realize I will be compromising re. no cruise, no tunes and no 6 gallon tank. I am willing to forgo those luxuries in exchange for a dependable comfy ride.

I would like to know if there is anyone that has hauled on a Scout 60 for several thousand miles over a period of time. My daily rides when I head south from the frozen north usually consist of 800 k a day( 500 miles). I need a scoot that will let me run the interstates and state highways at 70-80 mph for extended periods of time. I don't want anything that is "buzzy" and I am concerned about a lack of a 6th gear. I am good with a t bag, shield and back rest as well as bars and drivers foot pegs.

Would love to hear from any long distance riders on this topic. I don't need to go fast....just far.

Thanks folks (PS-there is a reason you will never see a motorcycle parked in front of a physiatrist office)

·
Registered
224 Posts
I don't know about long distance riding but my scout 60 would run 70 with no problem. On the scout 60 fifth gear is the same as sixth on the scout. They just removed the 5th gearing. So if you compared it to the scout you would have 1,2,3,4,6

·
Founding member
1,505 Posts
Very few Scout riders think the original seat is comfy. One lady in our group had a Scout and I found a Mustang seat for sale on here. She's a much happier camper.

·
Bronze member
2,735 Posts
We gotcha covered:

Hey @dfresh, this fella needs your expertise ....

While we wait for @dfresh , I'll go ahead and post a pic of his Scout for ya....

P.S. Your thread title is seriously FUBAR..

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I had a 2016 Scout 60 and used it for touring up to two weeks at a time. I had the 1920 solo saddle from new and used an Airhawk for rides longer than a day. The combination of solo saddle and mini-apes fitted my height well, 5' 10". I had aftermarket saddle bags and added the stock OEM rear rack after this pic. As noted, 6th gear remains the same and I never felt the lack of the original 5th as the motor revs so well.

It had the tall OEM windshield which has lots of buffeting and I'd recommend an aftermarket one instead. I calmed mine down with a plastic panel across the top that deflected air upwards but it looked ungainly.

The suspension on the early Scouts was not good and I upgraded to units made for my weight, 76kgs, not a heavyweight. Newer models come with better suspension from factory.

·
Bronze member
2,735 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
I highly recommend the Corbin seat and mini apes for comfort. Are you good with more frequent fuel stops? The tank is about half the size of the street glide.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks to all....this is very helpful.......valued is the the suggestion or a corbin or mustang saddle...always found either brand to be excellent....thanks riders

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I highly recommend the Corbin seat and mini apes for comfort. Are you good with more frequent fuel stops? The tank is about half the size of the street glide.
......yeah...gotta pee a lot anyway so extra stops no big deal...as well I can hump one of those new new mini jerry containers........not sure about the apes...never been crazy on that look but if u think they are more comfy I will certainly consider....thx bofa much appreciated

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
.....not sure about the apes...never been crazy on that look but if u think they are more comfy I will certainly consider....thx bofa much appreciated
The Scout mini apes are not the tall things you see on a lot of bikes. They only add 2 inches or so height. On my bike my hands were about level with my elbows.

·
Bronze member
1,457 Posts
The stock seat sucks. The 1920 seat is hard but better(but) it puts you up and foward about 2”. Floorboards are a good add on. Either way an Air Hawk goes a long way into comfort. It still won’t ride as nice as your glide. BTW the stock Scout bars also suck. Anything else is better. And I tried a few variations including some 7/8” buck horns w/1” to 7/8” adapter shims. I found the Indian 1920 bars to work the best for me IMO. Good luck.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
A number of years ago,[1999] I bought a seat pad on line ,called the "BUTT BUFFER" and have used it on three consecutive machines,starting with my 1999 Yamaha RSV,[ 200,000 miles] then my 2010 Triumph Thunderbird,[ 125,000 miles] and now it's on my 2018 SDH,[ 34,000 miles] AND, is STILL in good shape after 21 years of use,and still very comfy on the road,not to mention,it keeps your back side warm in the colder temps,and reasonably cool in the warmer temps.[so ya don't sweat] It comes in several sizes,[ I bought the largest size ] several colors,has gel pad inserts,is covered with valour and it's reasonably priced starting around 50 bucks,[a lot cheaper then buying a new seat] depending on which size pad ya buy.I just checked em out on line and they are STILL AVAILABLE and may be all ya need no matter what machine you ride or what seat comes on that machine. When ever I stop,and leave the bike unattended,I simply lift the cover off and lock it up in my saddle bag so some SOB doesn't steal it,or it doesn't get soaked if it rains while I'm gone!! So,check em out! [ Amazon also sells em,but for some reason,they look different to me,meaning,they're questionable] Happy hunting!! Dave!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts