Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always looking for the next project. Has anyone made their Scout/Scout 60 into a bagger type cruiser? I'm talking hard bags, trunk, 2 up seating, full fairing and windshield, radio, etc. Basically a mini Roadmaster. Any pics would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
As horrible a thought that is.....
There are a number of Scouts used for touring. If the riders are a trim couple and the passenger is quite forgiving, long range 2up is definitely possible.

I added hard bags to my Scout (harbor freight hard cases) and am fabricating a quick release trunk. Wife and I each have a Scout and are planning some adventures which include camping.

The more you hang on the front forks (i.e. fairings) the more you are detracting from highway riding as the aerodynamics will make you quite unstable at high speed amongst all the trucks and such.

That said....
I DO like the little bat fairing Indian offers (waaay too much $$) and coupled with bags, makes a decent little tourer.

The next question is:
Can you make a Scout into a touring machine without becoming a dork-mobile?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,248 Posts
Photoshopping will get you nowhere but a nice try though LOL. That Blackmore fixed fairing is probably the cat's meow and I've seen some custom hard bags that can also be painted to match the bike. A lady in our IMRG group has them on her Scout.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do all my long distance traveling on my 2015 RM, but I'm not getting any younger and I won't be able to hold the beast up forever. I have a 16 Scout 60 that I ride most of the time. When I'm 90, I still want to be able to run around with the wife on back and cruise locally in comfort. And if I make it to that age, I won't mind looking like a dork. 🤓

·
Rider
481 Posts
I have converted my 2019 to touring
I have heated grips, sound system, GPS, footboards (a must).
Since these photos, I have added a Mustang drivers seat, drivers backrest, passenger seat and passenger backrest.
(Never did like the triangle shape that Indian used).
For performance, I added Stage 1 exhaust, S&S stealth air cleaner and PV3.
I am happy how it turned out, but costly (almost 5K).

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have converted my 2019 to touring
I have heated grips, sound system, GPS, footboards (a must).
Since these photos, I have added a Mustang drivers seat, drivers backrest, passenger seat and passenger backrest.
(Never did like the triangle shape that Indian used).
For performance, I added Stage 1 exhaust, S&S stealth air cleaner and PV3.
I am happy how it turned out, but costly (almost 5K).
Tom, your bike looks great! That's a great example of what I was asking for.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
These guys make a great fairing with the right proportions. My brother and law and I had them on our VTX's and one of the guys I ride with has one on his Road King. MUCH cheaper than Indian's and with a complete stereo system.

$900 NOT painted to match isn't much of a savings, and you have to buy the mounting brackets for $150.

At least you can add a stereo.

Indian's looks great and matches.

·
Rider
481 Posts
Tom, your bike looks great! That's a great example of what I was asking for.
I'm thinking of putting the Scout up for sale and getting a used Springfield or Chief Vintage.
Just not sure if I can get some of the money spent back............................

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
With my screwed up knee, the Scout actually gives me better variety of foot positions than my Chieftain.
I am much more comfortable -- go figure!

I have ridden the Scout 1000 miles the past month....the Chieftain... 0.

Haven't done any long range highway yet, though.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,248 Posts
There's a lady in our IMRG group that has those saddlebags on her Scout ABS. She's got the Willow Green & Cream 2 tone,

·
Registered
397 Posts
I turned mine into a bagger. Haven't gotten around to putting on the passenger seat just yet, but I have i in the garage and ready to go. I've thought about a stereo but I don't know if I want to spend the money and my blue tooth ear buds work just fine.

Fairing Side.JPG

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Love the look they've created. Now if they'd find a way to add a backrest/trunk, it would be exactly what I was looking for.

·
Registered
60 Posts
These guys make a great fairing with the right proportions. My brother and law and I had them on our VTX's and one of the guys I ride with has one on his Road King. MUCH cheaper than Indian's and with a complete stereo system.

I just purchased the Indian Scout fairing for the same price listed for the Reckless fairing. I like the look better and it will match my color (red) perfectly.

·
Bronze member
1,457 Posts
The easy brackets are the way to go. You can buy just about anyone’s saddle bags, and mount them where you want. Just make sure they clear the belt guard. I bought some leather like throw over bags from an MC accessory shop. Then took the bags /yoke apart, and bolted the bags to the plates that come w/the easy brackets ( that are lockable). CB3B1B2C-108D-48FA-8283-CD204100A2E7.jpeg 9B276F40-8256-41AE-98FF-7CB6C5FE57CC.jpeg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts