Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Scout peoples...planning on a trip from Vegas along the PCH from San Diego to San Fran. My woman rides a Scout with tan leather saddlebags and an OEM solo luggage rack on the rear fender. Anyone find a trunk or bag that works well?

Thanks in advance!

Josh

P.S. I'll be with her on my Springfield with the exact, same question in the SF section:)

·
Registered
955 Posts
I put on a Givi monokey universal plate, then you have the Givi monokey topbox range to choose from. When you don't need the topbox, take it off and you have a flat surface on your rack (ie. the monokey plate).

ps. I think what I call topbox you call trunk!

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts
Hello Scout peoples...planning on a trip from Vegas along the PCH from San Diego to San Fran. My woman rides a Scout with tan leather saddlebags and an OEM solo luggage rack on the rear fender. Anyone find a trunk or bag that works well?

Thanks in advance!

Josh

P.S. I'll be with her on my Springfield with the exact, same question in the SF section:)
River Roads has some great stuff I used this one and you can find it on Amazon:
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Green

·
Registered
517 Posts
Rudy, That looks good.How securely does it mount to the rack? did you also secure it to your back rest? does it hit the paint anywhere?
Thats a very nice looking ride!

·
Registered
517 Posts
@riderguy I kept it simple - used some strong zipties at 4 points provided on the bag. Nothing attached to the seat or backrest.
Thanx, I'm on my 2nd order for a rack. The 1st one was cancelled : "out of stock".The new one shipped today.I'm looking forward to getting it.I need some storage for essential stuff. I just picked up my bike Saturday,'18 Jade,Scout.Only 95 miles so far but I like it a lot.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I was at my local bike shop this morning looking for a tail bag that fits neatly on the solo rack. They had a Givi XS310 15ltr bag that is the perfect fit on the rack. It's only 15 litres so I checked some of their larger bags. I was impressed with the Givi but didn't buy anything this morning.

I notice on a web search that it's discontinued but some places still have stock.

Bag Luggage and bags

·
Registered
372 Posts
If you have a backrest, there's a few options from NelsonRigg and Saddlemen. They have several big straps that loop around the backrest, the bag sits on the rack and just has one that loops under the rack to keep it from shifting side to side. I run the Nelson Rigg "riggpak", mainly because I found a used one on craigslist for $30. It's semi-rigid, there's hard plastic in the walls so maintains shape even empty. Lots of pockets on the outside to stash small items.

You might intend to remove the bag or trunk when you're not touring, although you get used to the convenience of it pretty quickly and will probably just leave it on all the time.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I put my fender rack on yesterday.I like the shape and strength.(wtf 7#) .It's not all that easy to attach stuff to.It needs some cross bars to bungee to.I wanted to ride Saturday so I found a bag I had laying around and did my best to secure it. I'm still looking for a bag.I doubt I'll find one I like in brown.What I really need is a basic sissy bar to tie stuff to.I cant believe that there arent a bunch of aftermarket bars to choose from. The 1st 4 or 5 bikes I had,if you wanted one you either made one or had a good buddy who was smarter, make one for you.(my technique). It seems like easy money for some Co.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I put my fender rack on yesterday.I like the shape and strength.(wtf 7#) .It's not all that easy to attach stuff to.It needs some cross bars to bungee to.I wanted to ride Saturday so I found a bag I had laying around and did my best to secure it. I'm still looking for a bag.I doubt I'll find one I like in brown.What I really need is a basic sissy bar to tie stuff to.I cant believe that there arent a bunch of aftermarket bars to choose from. The 1st 4 or 5 bikes I had,if you wanted one you either made one or had a good buddy who was smarter, make one for you.(my technique). It seems like easy money for some Co.
Deans speed makes them for the scout. Has pics on Facebook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Deans speed makes them for the scout. Has pics on Facebook
I have a sissy bar on order from Dean Speed. Looking forward to it. I also ordered the Biltwell EXFIL 80 bag for touring. Once I get both I'll get a picture of it all set up.

Reactions: michael_swisher

·
Registered
407 Posts
Since my earlier post I bought the Givi bag I spoke about. Yesterday I found that there is an OEM rack bag for the Victory Octane. It's made to fit the Octane rack with what sounds like lock-on clips.

Edit:
It's not the Octane (got confused by the black etc) it's the Scout Bobber rack bag.

Scout Bobber Black Solo Rack Bag - 2882854-LNA
I have the rack coming in October. Holding off buying the bobber bag until I see it in person to gauge how much stuff I can put in it. Would be nice to have a lock bag or something I can pop off and carry. Using a backpack gets a bit sweaty on the shirt.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I was wandering around some antique/old wares stores in town yesterday and came across a few old Gladstone bags. That gave me the idea that I might be able to adapt something like that to the Scout rack with a clip on/off system for the retro look. The Scout lends itself to the old stuff better than the Bobber, but that might give you another direction to look.

There are also some very nice tan leather duffel bags out there that I've thought about. Something in black oilskin might sit well on the Bobber.

Another thing that crossed my mind for fitting is to adapt a bicycle rack clip on system underneath the bag. There are some good bicycle touring rack systems that can be adapted to a motorcycle rack.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts